BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s not a wise move to try and displace fishermen on a public pier. They can easily argue the reverse- that the divers should be removed.

Any compromises must include accommodation for both sports and safety. Tidal period time restrictions and set locations are simple work arounds.

Anyone advocation abolishing any public use is courting disaster.

It’s not a wise move to try and displace fishermen on a public pier. They can easily argue the reverse- that the divers should be removed.

Any compromises must include accommodation for both sports and safety. Tidal period time restrictions and set locations are simple work arounds.

Anyone advocation abolishing any public use is courting disaster.
Divers can't hurt the fishermen, so the 2 sides are not equal.

That’s a specious argument. Public fishing long predates scuba diving privileges- it’s about public policy “fair use”. Your argument smacks of entitlement- and on a public site- you are most assuredly not entitled to more than “the other guy”.

So, feel free to argue a “ban” on fishermen- then when they look to displace divers you will have only yourself to blame....my advice stands- find a compromise around tidal times and locations - that way the elected officials will see a reasonable argument instead of forcing a choice that may not go your way...

That’s a specious argument. Public fishing long predates scuba diving privileges- it’s about public policy “fair use”. Your argument smacks of entitlement- and on a public site- you are most assuredly not entitled to more than “the other guy”.

So, feel free to argue a “ban” on fishermen- then when they look to displace divers you will have only yourself to blame....my advice stands- find a compromise around tidal times and locations - that way the elected officials will see a reasonable argument instead of forcing a choice that may not go your way...
Following your logic, hunting should be allowed in state and national parks because hunting predates hiking and mountain biking, and hikers and bikers are no more entitled than the other guy with the gun.

What is the fishing waste like underwater at BHB?
My local site, somewhat similar to BHB has a plethora of fishing trash underwater.

Following your logic, hunting should be allowed in state and national parks because hunting predates hiking and mountain biking, and hikers and bikers are no more entitled than the other guy with the gun.

So, well, actually- yea it is. Most state and federal lands have designated hunting zones and seasons established decades ago, it is only recently that the suburban “outdoorsy” types started invading those areas.... I won’t bother to try and explain why culling is necessary because clearly you won’t understand- but suffice it to say, almost everywhere some idiot tried to reduce hunters access in favor of some benighted ecotourism activity, hunters won. That said, the hunters often offered compromises because sharing the great outdoors has always been a hallmark of conservationists in the elder sense of the term.

But the way it works 99% of the time is that there are designated hunting periods, with protocols for access. So that’s why I suggested that approach. Similarly, most policy makers follow the maxim “if it ain’t broke don’t fix”. You are in Florida, a conservative, pro gun, pro fishing, pro hunting state. Who do you think will win this argument?

Again, discretion is the better part of valor. But do whatever you want, just remember be careful what you wish for....

What is the fishing waste like underwater at BHB?
My local site, somewhat similar to BHB has a plethora of fishing trash underwater.
There are always some lures, hooks and plenty of line, but it's not too bad IMO. We do try to pick up what we can. On a recent dive I found a plastic jug with a hole in it (besides the top) that was very convenient for stuffing line and other crap into!

A few years ago, we were diving the east side. We are photographers, so often get separated and agreed to meet up after 60 minutes on the bottom, just south of the East bridge. I was there at 60 minutes, no buddies. Took some photos, still no buddies. I surfaced and saw no one. Back down, and at 70 minutes, I headed back to the beach. As I was hiking up the beach my buddies appeared walking across the parking lot from the north side of the bridge. Turns out a fisherman had thrown a net down from the bridge ensnaring one of my friends. Hard to say who was more surprised!

Do you slow the print down during that step? That makes a lot more sense. Good stuff.

So, well, actually- yea it is. Most state and federal lands have designated hunting zones and seasons established decades ago, it is only recently that the suburban “outdoorsy” types started invading those areas.... I won’t bother to try and explain why culling is necessary because clearly you won’t understand...
Interestingly, you assumed I am too dumb to understand (or that you are way too smart for me) and at the same time you clearly can't tell the difference between state and federal parks (which I've mentioned) and state and federal lands, which you bring in here for no apparent reason. Parks vs lands differ in the intensity of public use, hence the regulations are much stricter in the parks than in lands.
But the way it works 99% of the time is that there are designated hunting periods, with protocols for access. So that’s why I suggested that approach.
Where? You only suggested some vague "coexistence". Which I'd vote for too. Divers dive under the bridges, fishermen fish from the old bridge and anywhere north of it from the shore. Needless to say, fishermen can fish from the western end of the main bridge cause no divers go there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom