BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
From the March 27 Undercurrent online update. I have sent an email to Julia Botel, consider doing so

Time to Act, Fellow Divers. Beneath Blue Heron Bridge at Riviera Beach, FL, on the west side of Singer Island, is a unique dive site thanks to the plethora of unique critters and macro, including sea stars, eels, seahorses, octopus, nudibranchs, flying gurnards, jawfish, and frogfish, and even eagle rays, turtles, and manatees visit. However, it's also a popular location for anglers who like to cast a line from the bridge. Jeff Nelson, a dive instructor with nearly 30 years’ experience, says a handful of fishermen are deliberately trying to hook divers by putting a fishing line in the water with a hook that has no bait. While some fishermen want 24-hour-a-day access to the bridge, Jim Abernethy, who owns Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures feels there should be no fishing from the bridge, and divers should be allowed to dive under the bridge at all times. This is a unique underwater environment; fishermen should not be allowed to farm it. Let them fish off the shore, if at all. Riviera Beach District 4 Councilwoman Dr. Julia Botel, is trying to settle the dispute. She needs to know that divers from hundreds of miles away make the trek just for those dives and help boost the local economy. All of Florida’s, unique underwater habitats are disappearing, and this is indeed one to preserve. Email her and tell her not to allow any animals to be taken from beneath the bridge, by fishermen or divers: jbotel@rivierabeach.org

Let them fish off the shore, if at all.
He had me until this stupid comment.

I certainly side with diving vs. fishing at this location, but I have to be honest, comments like that make me want to say, "Let them dive off the shore, if at all."

My 1st visit to BHB was met with a hook being dragged across me. I didn't know what it was so like an idiot I watched this little tazmanian devil come at me.... I thought it was a fast moving fish! When I realized it was too late and I had to roll and push the line off of me. Never has my butt clenched so tight. Thankfully it didn't get me, but with the way it was being pulled it was deliberate... right towards my bubbles.

That was scary.

I still believe in fishing though, if I lived in WPB, I'd be pretty pissed to have out of towners take over my local spot. I just stay away from the pier side.

I also believe there is a solution in which divers and fisherman can peacefully coexist

Maybe it could be like west side story and we just keep to ourselves... but once in a while huge brawl in the parking lot. Jk....

I wish i was made more aware of the fisherman... I didn't know and i was just in awe of the life. Would be nice if there were signs underwater or something, but really I just needed to be more aware of my surroundings.

Well, the one time I have dove the bridge, when we came up we ended up coming right up by a little kid with a bobber. I felt terrible messing up his fishing and apologized to his dad and him.

I believe in the coexisting view, however, If I caught someone throwing a snagging lure there would be serious issues. Its not like everyone doesn't have a flag.

I feel pretty strongly about this. Trying to snag me with a fishing hook is attempted murder. Coexistence of divers and fisherpeople with malice in mind is not possible. The two need to be separated in space or time, preferably. For example, most of the divers are there at HT +/- 1 hour. Let the fisherpeople have the rest of the day, but NOT during that time. Put them on the old bridge, even then.

This is the automated response to e-mailing:

"Thank you for your email.

I will be out of the office until my return April 5, 2021.
Please contact my Legislative Aide, Sam Brown if you need immediate assistance.
STBrown@RivieraBeach.org
Office: (561) 841-0202
Cell: (561) 388-3935

Thanks and be well,
Julie

Please be advised that the City of Riviera Beach is a public entity subject to Florida’s broad public records law under Chapter 119, Florida Statutes. Most written communications, including email addresses, to or from City of Riviera Beach employees and elected officials regarding city business are public records and are available to the public and the media upon request. Your email communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure. If you do not want your email address to be subject to disclosure as a public record, please do not send electronic mail to the City of Riviera Beach. Instead, contact the City by telephone at (561) 845-4000."

I suspect somebody's going to have a packed Inbox when she gets back...

I feel pretty strongly about this. Trying to snag me with a fishing hook is attempted murder. Coexistence of divers and fisherpeople with malice in mind is not possible. The two need to be separated in space or time, preferably. For example, most of the divers are there at HT +/- 1 hour. Let the fisherpeople have the rest of the day, but NOT during that time. Put them on the old bridge, even then.
What a reasonable solution!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom