BHB on Undercurrent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree completely. I've been hooked by one of those assholes on the bridge. Wish he had fallen off so I could have gotten ahold of him.

Here's what I wrote to her:
Dr. Botel,

I’m a Floridian who frequently visits your district to dive under blue heron bridge. For the past eight years I’ve driven across the state once or twice every month to enjoy the privilege. When in the area I stay at local hotels, and frequent local restaurants and businesses. I’m writing to ask you to support Jim Abernathy’s initiative to end fishing from the bridge. Although frequently divers and anglers can easily co-exist, it doesn’t work at this location. I’ve been hooked deliberately by an angler who hauled me to the surface. By the time I got out of the water and notified the police, the perpetrator was long gone. Even though I’m not a resident in your district, I do regularly bring tourist dollars to it. Please help keep what is renowned as the United States best dive site a safe one.

Imagine if there was a dive site like BHB in Largo, Florida and you used it frequently. Imagine the same conflict, fishing vs. diving. Imagine an individual from Palm Beach County lobbying your local council person to restrict your access to diving the site, because this individual drives across the state and spends money at local hotels, and doesn't want your diving interfering with his fishing.

Imagine if there was a dive site like BHB in Largo, Florida and you used it frequently. Imagine the same conflict, fishing vs. diving. Imagine an individual from Palm Beach County lobbying your local council person to restrict your access to diving the site, because this individual drives across the state and spends money at local hotels, and doesn't want your diving interfering with his fishing.
Yes, I get that. Unfortunately, fisherman are deliberately assaulting divers with hooks. Law enforcement are completely unable to do anything about it unless they post a cop there 24x7. The current situation has to change. This is in a state where it is legal to defend yourself, so it could get ugly and complicated if the wrong guy gets purposely hooked (that is NOT me, btw). No real chance of a dcs injury, but an inexperienced diver could realistically get a lung expansion injury this way.

Something has to change, and banning the offending group is a hell of a lot cheaper than funding a dedicated officer. Despite the latter being a better solution, the former is more likely to actually happen.

I guess a couple cameras with a jetson and faceID could work to solve the problem as well. But, you KNOW there's a lot of folks that will stand up against the local government maintaining a face recognition database. I can't say I'd support that option.

What do YOU propose to do about the fishermen who are deliberately assaulting divers?

Let's be honest here. Most bridges in Florida do not allow fishing. Normally, you have to fish from shore, a boat, or a fishing pier. So this isn't exactly an oddball request.

Edit: I looked it up, it's actually "battery" rather than "assault" in FL. Not that that changes anything when the perp gets away every time. From the sound of it, if fishing were banned then it could become aggravated assault (and battery) which sounds good but still meaningless if you can't catch the guy.

Once again, the argument isn’t to ban fishing at Phil Foster Park but rather this short section of the bridge that is a public boulevard. Fishermen still have their dedicated area. Why not a similar area for divers?

And while the focus has been on divers, walkers and runners frequently use that section of bridge. Casting is also a risk to them.

BTW. I have a suspicion that there are more tax funds raised by divers (local and tourist) than from local fishermen.

Twice, my flag has been hooked by a fisherman and I have been reeled in. Both times, the fisherman seemed to think it was great fun. I have not been bothered by fisherman on the vast majority of my dives at the BHB.

I was very happy when they made BHB a no take area. I do not have a solution to ensure that divers and fisherman peacefully coexist. I don't see prohibiting fishing +/- 1 hour of high tide as a very practical idea, mainly due the variable times this would take place and the near impossible enforcement. If divers and fisherman would both be careful and respectful, there may be nearly no complaints. I don't know how to instill these values

In my message to Julia Botel, I emphasized the need to protect BHB as the great resource it is, attracting divers from the local vicinity, all over the US, as well as international visitors. I asked that she think about mechanisms to improve the relationship between divers and fisherman. As much as I would like to see it, I do not see prohibiting fishing from areas to the west and east at the Phil Foster Park as a very likely outcome.

I do think it might be helpful if, when Dr Botel returns from her absence, her email is loaded with messages from concerned divers supporting the protection of BHB as a world class diving site. This would include an improved relationship between the divers and fisherman.

If divers and fisherman would both be careful and respectful, there may be nearly no complaints. I don't know how to instill these values

It's called common decency and unfortunately it's not very common these days. I still live by it and do my very best to show everyone respect and deference. My desires shouldn't trump those of others just because I want them to.

From the March 27 Undercurrent online update. I have sent an email to Julia Botel, consider doing so

Time to Act, Fellow Divers. Beneath Blue Heron Bridge at Riviera Beach, FL, on the west side of Singer Island, is a unique dive site thanks to the plethora of unique critters and macro, including sea stars, eels, seahorses, octopus, nudibranchs, flying gurnards, jawfish, and frogfish, and even eagle rays, turtles, and manatees visit. However, it's also a popular location for anglers who like to cast a line from the bridge. Jeff Nelson, a dive instructor with nearly 30 years’ experience, says a handful of fishermen are deliberately trying to hook divers by putting a fishing line in the water with a hook that has no bait. While some fishermen want 24-hour-a-day access to the bridge, Jim Abernethy, who owns Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures feels there should be no fishing from the bridge, and divers should be allowed to dive under the bridge at all times. This is a unique underwater environment; fishermen should not be allowed to farm it. Let them fish off the shore, if at all. Riviera Beach District 4 Councilwoman Dr. Julia Botel, is trying to settle the dispute. She needs to know that divers from hundreds of miles away make the trek just for those dives and help boost the local economy. All of Florida’s, unique underwater habitats are disappearing, and this is indeed one to preserve. Email her and tell her not to allow any animals to be taken from beneath the bridge, by fishermen or divers: jbotel@rivierabeach.org

I just sent email to Dr. Botel

Once again, the argument isn’t to ban fishing at Phil Foster Park but rather this short section of the bridge that is a public boulevard.
That is not what the article said.

I'll clarify I think some rules should apply to the short section of bridge. I took issue with the comment, fish offshore, if at all.

Fish is a healthy part of the human diet, it has been since man sharpened his first stick next to the water's edge. It is also not cheap, the average price per pound for snapper, hogfish and grouper is anywhere from $20-$30. Aside from the activity being fun for people, it's often a nice meal for people who can't afford to go to the fish market and buy it.

I've witnessed locally here what many would deem "trash" fish from a table fair perspective and being thrown back, as dinner for the family. Enjoy your catfish. :confused:

So find a compromise.

I'll make a couple more points that I think are worth noting.

The next time you're about to complain about a spearfisherman, remember there is no nets, lines and terminal tackle left behind when spearfishing. There's no bait being used and therefore depleting a food source up the food chain. There's also no decompression or swim bladder injuries for small or out of season fish when brought to the surface.

Secondly, fishermen, through fishing license purchases fund conservation enforcement and the FFWC. Scuba divers do not. Want to make a difference? Buy a fishing license, even if you don't intend on fishing. More money means more officers who can patrol areas like the BHB.

That is not what the article said.

I'll clarify I think some rules should apply to the short section of bridge. I took issue with the comment, fish offshore, if at all.

Fish is a healthy part of the human diet, it has been since man sharpened his first stick next to the water's edge. It is also not cheap, the average price per pound for snapper, hogfish and grouper is anywhere from $20-$30. Aside from the activity being fun for people, it's often a nice meal for people who can't afford to go to the fish market and buy it.

I've witnessed locally here what many would deem "trash" fish from a table fair perspective and being thrown back, as dinner for the family. Enjoy your catfish. :confused:

So find a compromise.

I'll make a couple more points that I think are worth noting.

The next time you're about to complain about a spearfisherman, remember there is no nets, lines and terminal tackle left behind when spearfishing. There's no bait being used and therefore depleting a food source up the food chain. There's also no decompression or swim bladder injuries for small or out of season fish when brought to the surface.

Secondly, fishermen, through fishing license purchases fund conservation enforcement and the FFWC. Scuba divers do not. Want to make a difference? Buy a fishing license, even if you don't intend on fishing. More money means more officers who can patrol areas like the BHB.

Did you read my post above @CuzzA?? That was ONE PERSON'S comment quoted in the article. A rather famous and very vocal person, but just the view of one person that is NOT the consensus of the Florida diving community.

I've witnessed locally here what many would deem "trash" fish from a table fair perspective and being thrown back, as dinner for the family. Enjoy your catfish.
I'm not a fish eater, but I've seen catfish served in restaurants around here. I generally don't have anything against people fishing. When fishermen in one area attack, however, people have to be protected.

Did you read my post above @CuzzA?? That was ONE PERSON'S comment. A rather famous and very vocal person, but one just the view of one person that is NOT the consensus of the Florida diving community.
I understand, but it is part of the topic of the thread, which is that one person's comment.:acclaim:

He said it. A mistake by Abernathy, IMO.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom