Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That isn't the same place is it? We wondered over to the old hotel tower which appears to just have maybe a couple apartments fixed up. This is the hotel plaque:

View attachment 127055

Buccanos appears to be the restaurant originally for the old hotel. It has the old 70s classy feel to it, like Hawaii Five-O meets Mexico, if you get me:

View attachment 127056
Cabañas was pretty much directly across the street from the Lobster House. The restaurant was a separate building with a big palapa roof and was right on the water. You could sit at your table and use the seawall as an armrest. It could be the place in the second photo above if that shot is of the other side of the restaurant building from the water.

The hotel itself had a section around the lobby that was (I believe) three stories and a couple of wings of rooms that were two high. It also had some standalone cabañas (hence the name) at one time. It was just north of a high rise hotel that (I heard) was mostly deserted but had a few condos in it.

Maybe not then? The plaque says the old hotel starting in 1978. I thought maybe with the old name of Club Cozumel Caribe, maybe it all tied together?
Probably not. Cabañas was there in May of 1977 when my folks first stayed there, and when I stayed there in 1978 it did not look at all new.

No - 2 different places! Club Caribe Cozumel is the old hotel that houses Bucannos. Only the family lives there now and then it is open as a beach club/restaurant during the day - then excellent dinner Fri and Sat nights. Playa Azul is the next hotel to the north, and Sol Cabañas in just north of Playa Azul. Very sad - that was also the first place I stayed - never reopened after Wilma - the owners didn't have the money to rebuild and I think no insurance :(

On our last trip 3 weeks ago, Chicken Fajitas at Woodys was the best, could have ate it every night.
We eat at Costa Bravo at least once every time we're there. Fish and beef tacos and very good guacamole.
Pam loved the Mango Margaritas at Kellys, and Kelly will keep you entertained with his stories.
Went to Blue Angel twice for the 2 for 1 drinks and tapas and a nice view.

I have to add French Quarter back to my list now! The new owner David has already made great changes! He has lowered drink and menu prices and is really focusing on good food again! You'll still be able to watch games and sporting events, and he will still have a band on Saturday nights - but the food is very good again!

We had REAL cajun boiled shrimp and REAL cajun chicken sandwich. I can't wait to try other things!

If you've been disappointed with the food at French Quarter in the past, I encourage you to give it another try!

Best of luck to the new owner of French Quarter!

I haven't read the entire 11 pages of this thread so I'll just shortcut and add one more restaurant that we've tried twice: Pancho's Backyard. Great service and excellent food. The Carne Asada I had this time was absolutely fantastic. Been here twice and hesitated to recommend until I could sample a second trip. That's been done so they get my whole-hearted recommendation!

Because of this list, I just had to come back to Cozumel for 10 days and eat! Now for the tough question. Did anyone ever put together a list of restaurants and or meals from either this or any other list that could be referenced more quickly than me trying to navigate these 11 pages? I just want to print something to take along to make the restaurant choice easier that doesn't take an hour to read! There were sticky lists in the past that I no longer see any more.

Thanks for any simple addressed restaurant list. Maybe we just need to put all of this post together somewhere.

---------- Post Merged at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:34 PM ----------

On page 5, I did see this, cozfavoritedishes.pdf , but that was 6 pages ago and misses the last 6 pages of input. Any others?

Thanks

As the "starter" of this thread, I just want to express my appreciate for all the comments. My Coz trip was certainly positively impacted (probably my waist line too :) ) by all the comments. Of all the wonderful meals, hats off to El Moro (fish veracruz) and Kinta - ate there more than once and it was awesome each time (fish of the day - tuna -and chicken the second time - you just have to try their deserts!). Not as happy with La Choza. La Terrace (former Prima ) was nice as was Panchos Backyard. The Mex platter for 2 at Cafe Dennis was also good.

As the "starter" of this thread, I just want to express my appreciate for all the comments. My Coz trip was certainly positively impacted (probably my waist line too :) ) by all the comments. Of all the wonderful meals, hats off to El Moro (fish veracruz) and Kinta - ate there more than once and it was awesome each time (fish of the day - tuna -and chicken the second time - you just have to try their deserts!). Not as happy with La Choza. La Terrace (former Prima ) was nice as was Panchos Backyard. The Mex platter for 2 at Cafe Dennis was also good.

Awesome. Isn't Ray just the nicest host at El Moro? And if I can ask, what left you not as happy with La Choza?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom