Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel - updated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far, La Choza, Guidos and Especiales have been big successes for all of our family-- (even our vegan daughter). And because we saw a TON of whale sharks and mantas, even the ceviche a la life jacket was great!!!

She keeps her menu for this restaurant FAIRLY static, with the odd "special".

This makes me happy. The menu was great last time just the way it was.

Is the Pork Shank on the menu every night or just certain days? Headed down in a few weeks and don't want to miss it.

Last time I was there, it was a special. I think it's frequent but probably they can't always get supplies.

If they don't have chamorro horneado, get the chile en nogada. It's wonderful, and they'll always have it.

image.jpeg
Is the Pork Shank on the menu every night or just certain days? Headed down in a few weeks and don't want to miss it.

Was planning empanadas at Del Sur but not open lunch so back at Cielita Lindo and just ordered the chile en nogada.

And the waiter said the Pork Shank is always available now! Too popular.

BTW. Eric loves the octopus ceviche here.

Last edited:
I've never eaten at Cielita Lindo, but I adore a good braised Pork Shank - and it's not an easy cut of meat to find (at least up here) - I have to make a special trip to the butcher. I have a few in my freezer right now. Out of curiosity, what it the braising liquid made with? The only recipe I have is sort of a Greek dish, with lots of Rosemary, Garlic, Tomatoes, Oregano and Kalamata Olives, but I'd love to try a Mexican/Yucatan style. Any chance of getting the recipe?

I've never eaten at Cielita Lindo, but I adore a good braised Pork Shank - and it's not an easy cut of meat to find (at least up here) - I have to make a special trip to the butcher. I have a few in my freezer right now. Out of curiosity, what it the braising liquid made with? The only recipe I have is sort of a Greek dish, with lots of Rosemary, Garlic, Tomatoes, Oregano and Kalamata Olives, but I'd love to try a Mexican/Yucatan style. Any chance of getting the recipe?
I don't recall exactly how it was described but I know wine and beer were both listed. It was a thick, rich, deep reddish brown gravy.

For down-home Mexican try El Pique for tacos, especially al pastor and gringas, and Chilangos has dynamite huaraches. Both open at around 7pm and are must-dos when we're there. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Girasoles for breakfast - it's fantastic and a favorite with the locals. Not very many tourists go there, maybe because they don't open until 7:30am and that's too late for morning divers but well worth a try on your lay days. I've heard mixed reviews about Sorrici's Italian entrees so we haven't tried them but will heartily recommend their desserts and that's where we go for our sugar fixes after we walk off dinner elsewhere. Beautiful! If you get a hankering for empanadas Renee' at del Sur will whip you up some good ones and they have a decent wine selection. It's hard to go wrong in Cozumel. Take a walk and follow your nose! And if you see a lot of locals anywhere, it's probably worth a try if you want the real thing.

One more thing.... If you want to try something different and adventuristic, make your own authentic meal with Coty Villareal at Co.Cos in Playa. Her cooking classes run 3-4 hours, you'll make everything you'll eat and go home with the recipes to boot. She's a lot of fun, the clientele are very international and you'll meet some interesting people from all over the world. Coty's tequila and mescal lecture and tasting at the end of the meal is always a lot of fun, too. She does Asian, too, but authentic contemporary Mexican is her specialty. If you're a foodie you won't go wrong and will have a memorable day to remember! Try the link below and you'll see what I mean.

Cocina Cosmopolita Culinary School

Thanks geokr! That is just the kind of thing I would love to do. Good idea for an extended service interval day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom