Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel - updated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.......Guacamole is not even the slightest bit difficult to make well, so pretty much everyplace that doesn't fancy it up too much (4 is the correct number of ingredients*. 5 is less ideal but acceptable. Any more is wrong.)...

*Avocados, salt, lime, and salsa picante. It could still work with tomatoes. Nothing else is needed or really justified.
Surely you jest! No cerranos, onions or cilantro? Heresy! Well, to each his own!

Seriously, thanks for the info.

I agree that good guac is easy but not that there is only one way to make it. Here's how I make mine mine:

Avocados at just the right stage of ripeness (a tactile thing, hard to describe, but not too soft)
Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and chilis
Fresh squeezed lime juice
Chopped green onion
chopped cilantro
chopped garlic
A dash of Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning
A dash of ground cumin

I use an old school bent wire potato masher to blend it all together but not overdo it so as to leave some avocado chunks. I get rave reviews.

We spent 28 days in May/June. We stayed at Mi Casa in Cozumel and walked to most restaurants. Here are the highlights:

Cielito Lindo -Pork Shank, Coconut Shrimp
Le Chef -Any fish of the day, Spinach salad with grilled salmon
Especias - Lasagna
Kondessa California salad with grilled chicken or shrimp
El Moro Margaritas, fish en pappilote
The Pub Steak and Ale pie, chicken curry, fish and chips
El Foco Gringas, any tacos very reasonable.

Lunch
Otates at least 8 times, gringas and pozole
Casa Cuzimel any comida del dia $13 for two with a beer and a coke enchiladas, chicken, whatever sit upstairs
Thirsty Cougar Fajitas, chicken wings, onion rings, ceviche
RocknJava (mega) pad thai, lettuce wraps...restaurant salads, blt, hamburger

THE WINNER
Local 707. Open for dinner in Mi Casa en Cozumel. Ate there 5 times since we just walked downstairs. Most of the time we sat at the bar. Small fabulous restaurant. Kristina and crew present extraordinary dishes and are so Fun! Kondessa, le Chef prices.

Only bad meal was El Carbon del Pie (new location) Horrible service, but I must say the grilled vegetables were great.

Just had dinner at 707. It was incredible. We split the green bean appetizer and the steak. It was more than enough for two. Kristina is a talented chef! Surprised about experience at El Pie de Carbon. We have had dinner there many times with great service. Last week we brought our own wine and were not charged an uncorking fee!

And a bonus, who has the best guacamole
so far we have had guacamole at four different restaurants that has been everything from smooth with few ingredients to course with everything. I have to say the winner so far, but still investigating, is La Choza, coursely chopped with onion, lime, salt and cilantro. Not sure about pepper.

Try mixing in a tablespoon of mediacrema or sour cream to keep the guacamole from turning dark after a while, like at a party or in the fridge overnight. Works like a charm.

OK, fair enough. How about the best places for:
A. Great local fish tacos
Local 707 has some really tasty fish tacos. She sources her fish locally so the variety of fish in it varies from day to day, depending on the catch. She puts a mango sauce with it. Yummy.

Local 707 has some really tasty fish tacos

They have tasty everything, pretty much.

Are the fish tacos reliably on the menu? My impression was that, just as at her previous restaurant, the menu changes based on what's available and good. I've only been there once, though.

They have tasty everything, pretty much.

Are the fish tacos reliably on the menu? My impression was that, just as at her previous restaurant, the menu changes based on what's available and good. I've only been there once, though.
Yes, they are reliably on the menu. She keeps her menu for this restaurant FAIRLY static, with the odd "special". She removed the lobster poutine after lobster went out of season and she replaced it with something else. But she told me it was just too hard to change weekly as she used to at ChaCha's. The fish tacos are one of my favourites. Have had them a few times since it's a two minute walk from my house....

Do NOT miss...Cielto Lindo..... PORK SHANK...I know my caps are on and I am shouting...BUT ..., this entree is AMAZING ! The Coconut Shrimp is also FANTASTIC.... Also,....the service is Wonderful !

Double S
Cielito Lindo. On the regular menu the best thing is the chile en nogada. I'm not sure what they call it on the English menu, but something non-specific such as "stuffed poblano chile". It's a proper chile en nogada, not a regular chile relleno. If they have chamorro horneado (pork shank), though, go for that.
I read the many recommendations for the pork shank but remained very skeptical. Ate there for the first time last night. Saw it on the menu but decided to ask the waiter the one menu item he recommended. Yep, the pork shank so I decided to go for it.

Wish I had my camera! Impressive appearance. A couple walking down the sidewalk passed our table. I watched him stare at my plate the entire time as he passed then turn to his companion and say "Wow." About ten minutes later they are walking by again on the way back. I saw him looking out of the corner of his eye at my plate again and I had to laugh. Fortunately the guy did too.

And BTW it was delicious. My favorite meal so far but expecting even better when we hit 707.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom