Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel - updated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite bbq..El Billy Asados Al Carbon

they are a bit far from the others but worth the trip, check them out on Trip Advisor

DSCN0058.JPG
My favorite bbq..El Billy Asados Al Carbon

they are a bit far from the others but worth the trip, check them out on Trip Advisor
I second El Billys

Last edited:
OK, to those that live on the island, where do you think the freshest and best seafood is served? Thanks.

OK, to those that live on the island, where do you think the freshest and best seafood is served? Thanks.

(part-time resident...)

Define "seafood" and what would count as "best" for you. Not being snarky. There's just such a range of what could be meant. Shrimp tacos? Grouper filet? Ceviche? and so on.

Note that some days I REALLY want a shrimp taco at El Camaron Dorado. However, shrimping isn't really done locally, so that shrimp, though great, isn't going to be nearly as fresh as in, say, Galveston. "Fresh" will actually limit some responses.

People are going to name La Perlita for lionfish, La Conchita del Caribe for whole fried fish that you select from a cooler, and Pescaderia San Carlos for fried grouper filet. Those would all be great answers.

Last edited:
Great answer! I appreciate the thought put into this answer.

(part-time resident...)

Define "seafood" and what would count as "best" for you. Not being snarky. There's just such a range of what could be meant. Shrimp tacos? Grouper filet? Ceviche? and so on.

Note that while some days I REALLY want a shrimp taco at El Camaron Dorado. However, shrimping isn't really done locally, so that shrimp, though great, isn't going to be nearly as fresh as in, say, Galveston. "Fresh" will actually limit some responses.

People are going to name La Perlita for lionfish, La Conchita del Caribe for whole fried fish that you select from a cooler, and Pescaderia San Carlos for fried grouper filet. Those would all be great answers.

(part-time resident...)

Note that while some days I REALLY want a shrimp taco at El Camaron Dorado. However, shrimping isn't really done locally, so that shrimp, though great, isn't going to be nearly as fresh as in, say, Galveston. "Fresh" will actually limit some responses.

OK, fair enough. How about the best places for:
A. Great local fish tacos
B. Blackened red snapper
C. Mahi Mahi, grilled or blackened

And a bonus, who has the best guacamole...besides Mr. Sanchos?

Ok, so I do love the red snapper. One of the best I have had lately, was a Palomar on the north end of Melgar. It wasn't blackened; it was done in achiote paste. It was really good and they had a nice black bean side dish. Really tasty. While that stood out I find great red snapper lots of places. Never asked for blacked though...

OK, fair enough. How about the best places for:
A. Great local fish tacos

I like El Camarón Dorado's fried grouper tacos.

However, if you're thinking about Baja-style fish tacos, Cozumel isn't the place for that.

Go anywhere they serve fish. Note the tortillas served on the side. BAM! Fish tacos.

B. Blackened red snapper

I've never seen blackened anything on Cozumel. Somebody probably makes it, but you're more likely to find Mexican preparations (such as the achiote-rubbed tikin-xic snapper that cvchief mentioned) than Paul Prudhomme-developed Louisiana-ish preparations.

C. Mahi Mahi, grilled or blackened

See above for blackened.

For grilled, whoever has dorado that day and has a grill. Dorado is not always available, so I wouldn't go anywhere counting on being able to order it. Kinta has a nice wood oven and the fish filets that come out of it are really good.

And a bonus, who has the best guacamole...besides Mr. Sanchos?

Guacamole is not even the slightest bit difficult to make well, so pretty much everyplace that doesn't fancy it up too much (4 is the correct number of ingredients*. 5 is less ideal but acceptable. Any more is wrong.) I've actually rarely found guacamole at any restaurant that's as good as one can make at home. I do like the trio of odd but good guacamoles at Kondesa, but I have to push past my purist leanings.

*Avocados, salt, lime, and salsa picante. It could still work with tomatoes. Nothing else is needed or really justified.

I beg your pardon, but the best Guacamole has: Avacaodos, Salt, freshly squeezed Lime juice, finely chopped tomatoes, finely chopped white onion, finely chopped peppers (seranos for the adventurous, jalapenos for the faint of heart), NO seeds or inner stuff, just the fruity outer layer, and a couple of dashes of hot sauce. That is 7 ingredients. Though I won't object to leaving out the peppers for those who like their Guac "sweet".

And for my money, best fresh seafood is at Pescaderia San Carlos, the Grilled Grouper with Garlic Sauce. La Perlita, for the Lionfish Ceviche is a very close second.

For the love! We cannot omit cilantro either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom