Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel - updated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are willing to share your recipe/technique I’d appreciate it. I even bought a press and just wasn't satisfied with the results.

The key to awesome tortillas (and tamales) is to buy freshly ground masa from the Mexican grocery store. Using dried masa flour (masa harina) from a bag is second best, but not optimal. The completely insane tortilla-phile would buy the corn, nixtamalize it, and grind masa at home. After experimenting with all this stuff and finding it too much work, I just buy a bag of tortillas from the Mexican grocery store.

One of the keys to great tortillas is to use lard. Pure fresh lard can be hard to come by in the U.S. (Unless you have a good local Mexican Grocery - I'm lucky enough to have several near me, including an El Rio Grande within less than 3 miles of my home; it also has GREAT fresh seafood), and most Americans have been brainwashed by the FDA about the health effects of saturated fats (you can tell a highly saturated fat from an unsaturated fat by whether or not it remains solid at room temperature; the more solid a fat is at room temperature, the more saturated fats it contains, UNLESS an unsaturated fat has been hydrogenated, i.e., a trans-fat), but the FDA has been consistenly wrong about most nutrution advice it has given, so personally I ignore that advice. Just like butter (high saturated fat) is much healthier than margerine (low saturated fat, but high trans-fat), lard, GOOD, FRESH lard, is healthier than commercial shortenings. AND it gives a better flavor and texture than shortening.

All that having been said, although I enjoy cooking and like to experiment, certain things just aren't worth the effort. I can get great freshly made tortillas cheaply and easily at nearby Mexican groceries, or even pick them up at tortilla factories in Dallas that make the tortillas for all of the Tex-Mex places in town. So I buy them and save my time for other culinary efforts - like trying to get Salsa Verde just right so I can make a breakfast of Chilaquiles Verde with a fried egg on top.

I refuse to eat at King. Eusabio gets his Burrito Gordito set up there and does well and then King goes in practically next door.

Don't be so sure chief - With all the TA reviews of each, it kind of reminds me of the Pat's and Ginos's cheesecake battle (across the street from each other) that has been going in Philadelphia for decades to the benefit of both establishments as tourists empty their wallets buying both trying to decide which is better. Having lived outside of Philly for 7 years I can say they both suck and are just tourist traps compared to some other Philly establishments. Luckily, the burritos at King and Gorditos are both top quality in my opinion. Shrimp burrito at King and Barbacoa at Gorditos. We now visit them both on our trips and, rest assured, I think both are now minting money by Mexico/Cozumel small business standards.

Last edited:
Ray is the BEST. That is the family restaurant. That is his dad back there by the cash register. His mom is in the kitchen. Next time ask him to tell you how his family ended up in Cozumel.

El Moro is a must. Ray immediately recognizes us and makes us feel at home, not sure how he does it!

The filet Mignon dinner at the new Especias is our MUST-do.

Anyone tried the meals made and delivered by Tito Cocinerito? Their place is near where we are staying so we'll go pickup. It's Sundays only and cooked by 2 professional chefs.

Tito Cocinerito

Dammit I'm getting hungry.....

It hasn't changed as far as I know, yummy Italian food. Love the table on the balcony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom