Best Full-Foot Fins on the market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheShark1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. New to the board.. 1st post. I'm an instructor in training, and an employee at a Scubapro-centric shop in the Midwest. I plan on moving to a tropical climate to become a full-time instructor in the next year or two. And I aim to be something of a 'minimalist-diver,' insofar as equipment is concerned.

Right now.. being in the Midwest.. I dive Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins, w/ boots. But I don't like lugging around the boots (or waiting for them to dry). So, I'd like to switch to a full-foot fin.

I'm in between a 9 and 10 men's shoe size, and obviously.. whichever full-foot fin fits me the best will be the one I go with. But assuming fit is good.. which full-foot fin out there is the 'best'?

Scubapro has two options in full-foot that I'm familiar with. The Twin Jet (split fin) and the Seawing Nova. The pricing is the same between these two. And I've never used either. But it sounds like the Nova might provide a little more power. Does anyone here have a knowledgeable comparison of the two?

As far as other company's full-foot fins go.. I must admit I'm not overly familiar.. but I know Atomic's got a full-foot split fin that's been around a long time.

Thank you very much in advance for any opinions! Very glad to be a member of the community!

There is no best. Nor powerful. Fins only translate your legs strength to the water, some are better than others at this. Try lots of fins, stick with the ones you like best. Technique and conditions dictate best fins for a given dive.

There is no best. Nor powerful. Fins only translate your legs strength to the water, some are better than others at this. Try lots of fins, stick with the ones you like best. Technique and conditions dictate best fins for a given dive.

As an employee of a Midwest dive shop, all the fins that I have access to are unfortunately of the Strap and Boot variety.. not full-foot. I suppose that I could at least get some idea from experimenting with the Strap and Boot versions, though.

"Strap and boot" are more commonly known as "open heel" in these climes...

Try a pair of SP Seawing Nova full foot. They're cheaper than open heel and really comfortable.

"Strap and boot" are more commonly known as "open heel" in these climes...

Try a pair of SP Seawing Nova full foot. They're cheaper than open heel and really comfortable.

Have you tried them in comparison to other full-foot fins out there?

Best type of fins for efficiency in swimming are long freedive fins. You can spend between maybe $75 and $650 or so for very high end carbon blades. I think for scuba diving an inexpensive plastic blade fin is the best value. I normally use a $200 pair of fiberglass freedive fins for scuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom