Best Full-Foot Fins on the market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best type of fins for efficiency in swimming are long freedive fins. You can spend between maybe $75 and $650 or so for very high end carbon blades. I think for scuba diving an inexpensive plastic blade fin is the best value. I normally use a $200 pair of fiberglass freedive fins for scuba.

Hmm.. never heard that before. Interesting. What are the $200 pair you go with?

Hmm.. never heard that before. Interesting. What are the $200 pair you go with?

i normally use the black fiberglass ones below:

Competition Fiberglass Fins Black | MAKO Spearguns

MCFFGF-BLK-2T.jpg

These fins (below) are much cheaper and will perform well for scuba. You do need to be in reasonably good shape for these less expensive ones. The fibeglass above can be ordered with soft blades, which are very popular with freedivers.

I have them in medium and beat the hell out of them, my current pair is about 3 years old and has literally several hundreds of miles of swimming on them (in the pool and in the ocean when freediving and scuba). They are all scratched and beat up and still work perfectly. The trailing edge is worn down to a knife edge from a gazillion push offs from the concrete pool wall.

The fins below are VERY similar to the Cressi 3000 LD fins which are popular, but cost considerably more.

Freedive Hunter Freediving Fins | MAKO Spearguns

MFHFF-2T.jpg

Hmm. I've never heard of scuba divers preferring free dive fins before. Does anyone else do this as well?

To the OP, I'm not sure your getting much help in your question.......anyways, if it must be scuba pro full foot then the novas are a good fin. Light and capable of good quality kicks.....as an instructor I hope you find out the limitations of split fins, not a great fin for the most widely used kicks (frog, flutter, modified and back). Just my 2 PSI.

To the OP, I'm not sure your getting much help in your question.......anyways, if it must be scuba pro full foot then the novas are a good fin. Light and capable of good quality kicks.....as an instructor I hope you find out the limitations of split fins, not a great fin for the most widely used kicks (frog, flutter, modified and back). Just my 2 PSI.

Thank you, and for your concern!!

-By no means do I need to go Scubapro.. that's just what I'm used to hearing is the best.

-And the main instructor I train under uses split fins.. so I'm afraid I might be missing out on some of those styles. I have been reading around the internets that they aren't that great for instructors, though

+1 for Mares Superchannel...YMMV.

I used sell scubapro equipment. I dig most of their dive gear but quite honestly I never cared for their fins and snorkels.

Hmm. I've never heard of scuba divers preferring free dive fins before. Does anyone else do this as well?

Yea, my wife worked a couple years as a divemaster down in the keys and preferred a pair of cressi full foot longer "free dive" fins just for better feel and swimming efficiency.

Jus this past Feb down in Jupiter, we had a young female DM using a more updated version of those similar cressi fins. FWIW, I also noticed her rig was a very minimalist BP/W, and she managed to get on the boat with pretty much all her gear in a med sized dive bag.

Take a look at AquaLung Express Full Foot fins. They are stif, broad, and fairly long with lots of power. I work a dive boat as DM and use them exclusively until water temperature gets below 70. The Express open heal fins now come standard with great spring straps, and are great fins at a great price.

I used to dive with freediving fins when I was working in the Caribbean and Hawaii. They are great if you can get used to the different kick style. Frog kick, helicopter turns and flutter all work well. I never tried a back kick but I imagine it would be close to impossible. They do have down sides; lugging them around is a pain, they are unwieldy in tight confines, if you have to do any sort of significant giant stride they can snap. I went through 3 pair that way over the years and is eventually the reason I stopped diving them since the boat I dive off of now has about an 8 foot drop. Cost can be about $100 for cheap plastic ones up to eye-watering for carbon fiber with custom molded boots and everything in between.

For non-freediving fins, hands down the best full foot out there are the Mares quatro avanti, or whatever they are calling the 4 channel ones these days. I have over a thousand dives on mine and they are still going strong. Mares discontinued them for a few years in the late 90s/00's, and dive guides I knew were going through a pair of fins every year. They did a limited release of silver ones in about 2005 and we all bought them. Almost every guide on Maui that had a foot size that was offered was swimming around in silver avantis.

I can get deals on a lot of brands, but I happily pay full price for the avantis. I guess that has worked out to about $14/year so far. I'm in need of some new ones as the little pull tabs on the foot pocket ripped off about 2 years ago. One of these days they'll get bad enough I have to replace them...

I still have my open heel Avantis from 1993 too. Can't tell the difference between the old ones and new ones.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom