Best fins for poor swimmer with bad back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for your input. I can't take him to a LDS because he'll say not to buy aanything. so it has to be a gift at the last minute. I did get him a 3mil wetsuit! I ordered those tusa zooms, and I'll see how I do with them in the pool tomorrow. I was thinking maybe those Mor-fins would be good for him. I's sorry to be such a pain with this. i have been begging him to go on vacation with me for 3 years, as I go diving several times a year, and this will be his first time--I want him to like it!!!

I've been reading this thread and I'd recommend that you go with the Mor-Fins. The worlds most hydro dynamic fin by far. Very easy on the legs and ankles and they move you well too. They come in XXL. I love these fins. It's all I will ever use from now on. They're shaped like a fish because fish are desdigned to move well in the water. Try them for yourself too! They are amazing fins.

If you want a relatively inexpensive option try a Churchill MAKAPUU fin ($45-$50). They're most often used by boogie boarders and body surfers, but they also make a great swim fin. They're pretty small in overall length so he could easily stand-up on the bottom with them without getting the tips caught. They come in XL which I believe is for a 13-14.5 shoe size.

Churchill MAKAPUU

I would try something like these....Duo Velocity....sort of 'soft' & easy on the feet(my wife really likes hers)...

Aeris Velocity Duo Split Fins

Being on my 3rd back opperation and now having 4 titanium screws and two rods suporting a L4/L5 fusion, go with a neutral boyant fin.

But much more important then any fin, do a search for a cave divers frog kick video.

The standard up and down kick will tend to make him arch his back each way, but the frog kick is very neutral to the lower back and with a good mask and snorkel he should be able to keep his back stable with no twists or arching.

He may not move all that fast in the water, but you can go a long time with the frog kick.

Pete

516K93CW65L._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com: Sea-Doo Seascooter Dolphin Water Scooter: Sports & Outdoors

This is the perfect thing for him if you don't have the fins yet!

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom