Scuba Pro S tek fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two nice dives with the modified S fins, now they are great, more control, better frog kick and really nice flutter kick. SP may want to fix the design :wink:

I think the super nova blade on the S Tek arms would be perfect.
Did you notice a big difference with the Skegs added?

Did you notice a big difference with the Skegs added?

Yeah, did you?

Also, how did you make sure that you align the Skegs properly and how did you drill the holes in the fin blade?

Stek arms, have the 30° angle to help with flutter kicks.

Skegs; I eyeballed the position, used a hole punch to punch the holes which isn’t easy because this material is tough! Solid hits and 1/4 turn between hits did it.

i pulled the Skegs off of my GO Sports and sort of lined things up with those as a bit of a timplate and marked the center hole followed by the bottom Skegs half lined up, I pushed thos down hard so it left a mark for the hole punch.

the increase in power for the frog kick was very noticeable and an increase in control, helicopter turns were great and some back kick was tried, I’m not very good at the back kick but I got them to work.

this is just an old guys opinion but the Skegs keep the water from spilling off the side of the blade in the frog kick, I feel a slight resistance With the side slid in the frog set up which I expected. In my opinion they put to much into the side slip ease and sacrificed power in that effort.

blocking the center channel with the weight and adding the Skegs makes these outperform the supernova in flutter and equal the SN in frog.

Way too much work for me. I'll take fins that were pretty much made right in the first place. I still love my XTs. Still trying out the Truefins and have not tried the green spines yet.

Way too much work for me. I'll take fins that were pretty much made right in the first place. I still love my XTs. Still trying out the Truefins and have not tried the green spines yet.
Just stop with this sensible approach!

Modified S Tek fins have a fan club
SportDiver_20231110_112246.jpeg

I tried S Teks in the pool the other day. Not an extensive test but enough to get a feel for them.

I am longtime Jet Fin user. Not the most efficient fin certainly but I use them for the position control/frog kick/back kick etc. I don't care about fin weight.

I tried Super Novas a few years ago and found them very efficient -- much more forward thrust with less effort -- but they lacked the level of control I had with Jets. Side motions cut through the water easily with no "bite." Also I felt a lot of ankle rotation, which bothered me a lot.

The S Teks seemed to have similar thrust to the Novas without the feel of ankle rotation as well a much better degree of control. They didn't give me quite as much control as the Jets but certainly enough and allowed me to do frog kicks/helicopter turns etc.

I believe that fin comfort improves over time as our kick styles evolve to make the fins do what we want them to do so I think I would learn to love S Teks if I dove them full time. I am not quite ready to dump my dinosaur Jets yet but the S Teks are a strong contender for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom