Fins for someone with tendinitis / achilles issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacroFan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Husband suffered achilles tendon tear last year which we think was a build up of problems from finning against current in R4 (we dove for 3 weeks). Now he has tendinitis in his ankle.
He probably needs to do some exercise to strengthen certain muscles, but meanwhile we are looking for new fins. He has been using quite stiff and long fins. He is quite tall so it gives him a lot of power but we are wondering whether that is too much exertion for his legs.
We mostly dive in warm water.
I realise everyone is different but would love to hear if anyone had similar experience! Thanks.

This is going to be a tough selection because it really depends on what type of diving and finning he likes. I have calves that spasm if I try too much. I had the Avanti Quatros for several years and finally got tired of the cramping in the calves. I went to the SP Go Sport and although they don't have the power, I don't get the cramps anymore.

Please don't try to tell me it is vitamins or dehydrated, I have been through the testing, it is in my family genes, nothing more. Exercise and weight management is all that improves my situation. Been like this since my first dive.

I'd recommend a pair of Force Fin Pro. Over 30 years, I tried several fin designs and the Force Fin Pro are the only ones I could keep for more than 3 hours long (dive + drifting at sea with the boat nowhere to bee seen).

As far as tendinitis is concerned, Force Fin Pro hook to the feet differently and are easier on the toes and the ankles.

One slight drawback : you have to get use to them and modify the way you kick.

But as stated by @KenE choosing fins is a highly personal matter. What's right for him, may not be right for me.

PS : to Force Fin haters, please avoid to spoil the thread.

Force fin may be the answer, I never noticed any strain in my ankles with them. Sherwood Triton may also work ok but he really needs to try several fins to see what works.

Split fins are easier on the calves. But be prepared for some hate.

Split fins are easier on the calves. But be prepared for some hate.
Haters gonna hate hate hate, shake it off and go for it if they work.

I'm echoing\reinforcing others, but they were my thoughts even before seeing the others ...

Like @KenE I've found that I don't do well with super-stiff fins as I have a age-related brain disconnect (it believes my body is still in my teens-20s) and will overdrive my legs to cramping or even injury.

Force Fin Pro:
  • They are best with faster, low amplitude kicks (more lower leg). Also works surprisingly well with ankle-flip sculling, but that may be contra-indicated with achilles issues.
  • They are slightly negative in FW, about -0.2 to -0.4lbs per pair depending on size.
  • Very efficient fins that allow for high-endurance.

Atomic Split Fins:
  • There are 2 different compounds in the open heel line. The stiffer "Lightweight High-Energy Compound" is used in the translucent-gray "smoke on the water" (with spring straps), "reef red", pink, and purple versions. The "Standard Power Compound" is used in the neon-yellow, royal blue, blue, and silver versions.
  • My Mediums are positive +0.2lbs for the pair.
  • Despite all of the SB hate, I saw a fair number in the rec group diving with a tech-oriented operator in Cozumel, one of which I specifically happen to know is a long-term diver. I didn't notice anybody even commenting ...
  • I have the SOTW version and find them to work well with both low-amplitude and longer kicks. They can helicopter and will even frog-along ok if you are lightly loaded. I also find them to be some of the best snorkeling fins that I have ever used with a low-amplitude flutter at the surface.
  • The nature of the split-fin tends to limit the max-foot/leg pressure while still providing good overall forward thrust.

I guess I could be persuaded to make a house call so that you could demo some fins to see what works best. :wink::rofl3:

“age-related brain disconnect (it believes my body is still in my teens-20s)”

Hahaha….I love that

I sustained partial Achilles and calf tears late last March, taking a big step down onto an uneven surface with dive gear on. I aggressively rehabbed it (despite a surgeon who wanted to fix it for me) and have since done 120 dives, some in heavy current and all with Scubapro Go Sport fins. For me, the Achilles was protected while finning, because my foot was in plantar flexion, but I was careful on ladders to avoid uncontrolled dorsiflexion. On the rehab side, I benefited considerably from physical therapy.

They are somewhat unconventional but I've been diving Truefins for a few months and keep going back to them whenever I put on another fin. Especially with the yellow spines they can do small, high frequency kicks extremely efficiently. This is much like the Force Fin.

However when you want to do a technical kick like a long slow frog or back kick they also do that well.

As a bonus they will fold in half with the spines out and the foot pocket is very rigid. I'm pretty sure they have a money back trial period as well but don't quote me on that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom