British yoga instructor mutilated by prop - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of prop guards which reduces efficiency, can’t there be a funnel like device fitted so behind is just a jet stream while in front is well under or in middle of boat
A propelsor, or a jet type, will be more dangerous. As they can suck things up.

A gently spinning prop, is more of a paddle wheel or a screw. Sure, it'll suck at full throttle, but not so much at idle IME.

Every dive boat I've been on, was direct or v drive, prop under boat. Never stern drive.

I was almost axed by propellor blades in Thailand. The captain had us gather on the back deck of the dive boat as he maneuvered into place. He sounded the ship's horn as the signal for us to jump in the water.

On this particular day, halfway through the dive cruise, I was standing on the very edge of the back deck and I was the first person to jump in after the captain sounded the horn. But apparently the captain changed his mind after sounding the horn, and he decided to back the boat into another position. The dive guides saw the signal from the captain, and they grabbed all of the other divers to prevent them from entering the water. The captain gunned the engines into reverse after I had already jumped.

Next thing I saw were two big propellor blades coming at me. I barely escaped with my life.

I WAS PISSED OFF, and the boat crew blamed me for jumping into the water when the captain sounded the horn.

My instructor recommended jumping in with a wing half full. Kinda negative entry, to mitigate that.

But a dive boat should be in forward gear the whole time. Pointed away from shore. That's insane. The amount of crazy stupidity from boat ops and tank monkeys is amazing.

The best vacation DSMB, is another diver. Lol.

I was almost axed by propellor blades in Thailand. The captain had us gather on the back deck of the dive boat as he maneuvered into place. He sounded the ship's horn as the signal for us to jump in the water.

On this particular day, halfway through the dive cruise, I was standing on the very edge of the back deck and I was the first person to jump in after the captain sounded the horn. But apparently the captain changed his mind after sounding the horn, and he decided to back the boat into another position. The dive guides saw the signal from the captain, and they grabbed all of the other divers to prevent them from entering the water. The captain gunned the engines into reverse after I had already jumped.

Next thing I saw were two big propellor blades coming at me. I barely escaped with my life.

I WAS PISSED OFF, and the boat crew blamed me for jumping into the water when the captain sounded the horn.
Sorry to hear this but glad to hear you are ok

My boat unfortunately has the divers very close to the wheels when they are boarding. For this reason, I always have my engines off, not in neutral and able to be bumped into gear when loading and unloading. (since I have an engine kill tether and the lift controls are in the back, it isn't even optional.)
Obviously, I could still run over somebody when not loading but I do what I can to mitigate what I can.
Not sure if this video will load, but you can see my wheels in relation to the lift platform.

A wheelchair lift? That's too cool.
If you had a 28" airplane wheelchair, I suppose it could be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom