British yoga instructor mutilated by prop - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't own a dive boat, but when I have people in the water, whether they are divers, snorkelers, or swimmers, there is no music playing on the boat, and I don't ever touch the start key or throttles until I, or a person I trust, clear the danger areas. You can't undo a prop strike, but you sure as hell can avoid one, whether it involves a boat or plane.

Although the article says she was diving, I get the impression her husband was diving and she may have been snorkeling. Maybe a shallower dive site since the husband was only about 8m down. The article(s) reads as if they were the only customers on the boat - only the boat captain helped lay her on the floor of the boat and only the husband provided comfort after removing his dive kit. Definitely not the typical dive boat or dive op, IMO. Pictures on Facebook of her leg after surgery are pretty awful.
I went to her FB and then her blog post. She was snorkeling and free diving. I think most of us are accustomed to coming up the ladder with a kit and the weight associated with it on our bodies. That would make it more likely we'd have a stronger hold on the ladder, and less likely we'd get sucked under. But she looks like a tiny thing, and with only fins to take off on the ladder she may not have had a good grip - not to mention the intense fear of 'oh my god - the boat is coming toward me - what do I do?'. Certainly there is a lesson here but I'm not sure that she is at fault. It might be analogous to an emergency vehicle going through a red light and hitting a driver who pulled into the green light. Both could have done something 'better' - and will, in the future, assuming all live to apply the lesson.

I'm curious what boat she was on too. I think there are some great captains and there are those who aren't so great. I feel pretty confident that the captain of the boat we're usually on has a fairly good idea where all his divers are. But I think I'll make sure I whistle to make sure I have my captains attention if I don't come up with the group, going forward. So sad.

ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!

The boat captain is singly at fault. You never, ever, ever turn a prop without clearing the area.

Airplanes, boats, no different. Every beginning pilot is taught this first thing in flight training.

Here, locally, about 10 years ago a pilot was taking passengers on flights to see Christmas lights. He landed and let his passenger get out in the dark and failed to shut down the engine. Passenger walked into the invisible prop. Really bad injuries, totally avoidable by simply pulling out the mixture and shutting down before allowing folks loose in the area.

In the firearms world, it's the one that pulls the trigger, not somebody standing where the bullet is gonna go that gets killed, that's at fault. The gun safety rules always apply: treat every gun as if it always loaded and do not allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to utterly destroy. Ain't that right Mr. Big Shot Actor on the western set?

Professional operating amongst amateurs (many clueless amateurs) has a higher standard to pay the frack attention.

Nope. A human quietly swimming hidden behind a transom with their tiny head likely completely obscured unless you're standing on the transom during a live boat drift dive is a good way to find yourself in a prop. Which is what apparently happened.

Anytime anyone surfaces when we dive they make their self known, whether from a far or if surfacing at the transom.

It's basic common sense if the engine is running, in a second it could be put in gear from something as simple as a person slipping into the controls.

Making yourself known all but eliminates that potential.

Deleted by Moderator

I think it is more an issue with drift diving than a specific location. I still love diving Cozumel, and will continue to dive there. I am just as cautious and watchful in other drift dive locations such as Fakarava, the Red Sea, Bali, etc., as I am in Coz. I have learned from experience to expect the unexpected, and understand even the best Captains can screw up on any given day.

I have been taught that in Cozumel, you never, ever, ever swim to the boat. The capitan will come to you, as he watches the current and positions the boat to allow safe egress. That means he has to know that you are nearby. I would have to guess that most casual snorkeller tourists are blissfully unaware of this. They are not regularly on boats in an ocean with current...all they see is clear, warm water.

The rules of this forum prohibit blaming, and are to focus on prevention of future similar accidents.

So let's talk about that instead of merely pointing fingers at who is to blame. The first thing that comes to my mind is briefings...for both the snorkellers AND the divers. Was there one, did it cover this topic, was everyone listening, and did the briefing cover approaching the boat by yourself?

The second thing that I think of about a device to alert the captain of your presence. Divers learn to carry and use safety sausages but what are snorkellers equipped with? Probably nothing as no training is needed to be a certified snorkeller. What risks does a snorkeller assume, (if any) without training?

Which brings me to my next point. This forum is supposed to be about scuba diving accidents. This injured person was apparently a snorkeller. Now, there are some transferable learnings I guess to diving. But nonetheless, the snorkeling accident seems more likely than if it were a scuba diver, who presumably has some training about getting on and off a boat. Which may lead to another line of pursuit...is it a good idea to mix snorkel and scuba groups? What might be some takeaways be from this line of questioning?

I wonder what her experience is around boats with running engines. Even when we surface with the dive guide, in Cozumel, I stay near the sausage and wave to the captain (to give the 'ok') so I know he sees me and won't come too close to my position. But if she's used to diving off boats that are anchored she may have had a disadvantage. (I have a hard time blaming someone who has been so terribly injured).

is it a good idea to mix snorkel and scuba groups?
There is a market, and it sells, but nope.

PARTIAL DELETION BY MODERATOR

I'm a rated driver for competitive waterskiing and in the event that you're picking up a downed skier, YOUR ENGINE IS OFF. OFF. NOT IDLING. OFF.

Even if the wind is going to beach the boat - the engine is OFF.

That being said, 95% of this thread is PURE SPECULATION and WORTHLESS garbage.

Pray the lady fully recovers and....

Next topic....

PARTIAL EDIT BY MODERATOR

I'm a rated driver for competitive waterskiing and in the event that you're picking up a downed skier, YOUR ENGINE IS OFF. OFF. NOT IDLING. OFF.

Even if the wind is going to beach the boat - the engine is OFF.

That being said, 95% of this thread is PURE SPECULATION and WORTHLESS garbage.

Pray the lady fully recovers and....

Next topic....

I think the majority of people who have posted are just suggesting how a diver could avoid contacting a rotating propeller when returning to a boat.
Regardless of who is responsible for what it's always a good idea to look out for yourself. In that regard I see value in this thread.

You of course may see things differently so feel free to ignore this post and any others that appear.

A lot of my dives are in Coz and quite a few of them way up north or in heavy waves and/or currents. I have seen several divers, including my own wife, come within 5’ of a moving prop while they were barely under the surface or in some other setup all while the cpt was totally unaware because of rough conditions.

A moving prop is probably my #1 fear while diving and is constantly on my mind. Constantly.

I always appreciate boats that have the round circular cover that goes around the prop blades. I think all boats should be required to have them and wonder if this boat had one. I have no idea what they are called or how they effect engine performance/etc or if there is something better/safer but I think the issue is one that warrants our upmost attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom