British yoga instructor mutilated by prop - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been heavily edited. Before you post once, think twice. Thinking twice means that you have made yourself familiar with the RULES and etiquette for posting in a thread under Accidents and Incidents.

This is a terrible accident and I sincerely hope that she fully recovers...

As a boat owner and operator personally I feel that it is 100% my responsibility to make sure that the prop area is clear. I also think that protocols regarding "the prop area" should always be thoroughly discussed in a safety briefing if anyone, snorkelers or divers, will be entering the water.

Lastly, whenever I read any stories regarding injuries it reminds me of the importance of having good dive insurance.

I'm curious about that two-inch arterial blood clot that allegedly prevented her from bleeding out. Seems odd for a healthy and active 37-year-old yoga instructor jet setter active in all sorts of activities. I've had a few later in life, but they caused me enough problems to seek medical advice and treatment.

A shame that they did not carry medical insurance to cover their trip to Mexico.

blame the victum?
Is that aimed at my post? No, absolutely not. Many of us carry medical insurance to avoid the massive expense of a travel related illness. accident, or mishap. It's a wise thing to do, don't you think? I would think that this is a take home lesson.

A shame that they did not carry medical insurance to cover their trip to Mexico.
I have to nag my daughter about always taking good trip insurance when leaving the US, including on cruises. I got away without it on several trips and small boat sailing cruises before I learned about the risks from stories like hers. My daughter is always resistant even tho it saved her a lot when my granddaughter lost her passport in China. If they needed $50-100,000 for repatriation on a trip, I'd pay it, but it'd be rough.

DAN has good trip insurance from Generali, but I just get it from Generali - and never the cheapest plan! I consider buying them a family DAN membership so they'd always be covered for repatriation, but that's limited to commercial transportation.
blame the victum?
Learning from the misfortunes of others is part of why this forum exists.
Who else would be to blame in this matter?
Assigning blame is contradictory to forum rules.

blame the victum?

This forum has special rules, you can find in this link:

I'm curious about that two-inch arterial blood clot that allegedly prevented her from bleeding out. Seems odd for a healthy and active 37-year-old yoga instructor jet setter active in all sorts of activities. I've had a few later in life, but they caused me enough problems to seek medical advice and treatment.
Blood clots in normal healthy adults do form once a injury happens, not from eating to much burgers. Only arterial bleeding is usually way to rapid for the clot to plug it.
Boat propellers are scary, I hate climbing aboard while the engine is turned on.

I posted previously but was deleted, I didn’t think the question was offensive, I will try again.

Wouldn’t the boat operation have accident insurance, or is it different in Mexico?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom