best apeks for cave (routing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving 2 apeks ATX50 with a DS4 for a while, but haven't bought new gear in a while and am looking to get a new first stage or two for cave diving with doubles (eventually). Kind of prefer to stick with Apeks, but am confused by the new names of their 1st stages. Can anyone recommend 1st stages from Apeks that will be suitable for the cave environment and have good routing for a doubles setup? Didn't they used to have a 1st stage with all the ports pointing down? Thanks.

Since you already have a DS4 the cheapest route would just be pick up another DS4 first stage and put one of your seconds on it. the hoses can all be routed from the ports on the bottom by simply pointing the ends with the diaphrams towards each other.

I bought new regs for my cave diving and doubles use and I got the TX50 second stages with DS4 first stages. I could have gotten any reg I wanted and these are what I chose. Price was a factor but not the only factor. The ATX50 second stage is very much the same as my TX50, the differences are the overall size, the size of the main diaphragm, and the size and shape of the exhaust tee. Functionally these second stages are essentially the same.

If you want to keep your existing setup for single tank diving then get more of what you already have. If you are going to break up your existing regulator just get a second DS4.

Mark Vlahos

ATX50 (DS4 or DST), ATX100's (FST), ATX200's (FSR) -- they all route quite well...but since you already have a DS4, why not get another and you are done.

There are a number of pics floating around the board of the routing for all of these 1st stages......care to look for them?

I got FSR's (ATX200) and they route quite well and are a nice reg, but are more money and not sure of the performance differences.

Thanks for the advice.

My DS4 got dropped on a boat in the Keys some time back when the plastic bits securing the tank failed in 5' seas. I blame the Halycon BP/wings which don't fit well in those holders. Anyway, it didn't appear damaged and at first worked as usual, but then I had an O-ring go at 45' 4 minutes into an ocean dive a few months later. Maybe a coincidence, but now it's become increasingly variable seating on the tank K-value pre-dive so that I won't use it. With squinting it appears to be bent very slightly so it doesn't seat well.

I'm sending it for repair service now, but it makes me a bit nervous and I suspect repair costs may not be too different from just buying a new 1st stage (I can get a new one for $166.14 at Dive Inn). Thus, the reason I'm thinking of getting 2 new 1st stages for cave. I guess the other question I have is - DIN or not? One option is to have the existing DS4 refitted via a DIN conversion that would probably deal with the damaged part, then get another DIN DS4. I know I could get a lecture but I'm just not convinced DIN is that much better. It's a big decision because I'm also about to buy steel tanks that would eventually be put into a doubles setup....

I would go with DIN fittings, IMHO its a more secure connection than a yoke.(less likely to get knocked loose in case of a whoopsie, like smacking the ceiling) You may also want to get an adapter allowing use with a yoke to keep in your bag.

I ordered my DS4/TX50 a couple days ago and cant wait to get them wet. I have a question about the second stages though. I wanted to get a second TX50 for backup but my LDS said that you cant order a seperate reg, you can only order the complete set. just wondering cause i dont like/want the engress octo. I didnt want to start a new thread for this, im not trying to hijack. thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom