Which second first stage for diving coldwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

McHugh

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys, as I am new to scubaboard, I hope this is the right place for this question.
When I first bought my regulator, I went with an APEKS XTX200/XTX40 with a fsr first stage. This is also my setup, when it comes to recreational diving in open water for one valved bottles. As I plan to increase the number of dives in german lakes, often a second first stage is required for safety reasons in case of icing. As I am limited to the ammount of money I can spend, I wonder if it is the better choice to go with an APEKS DS4 or to spend the extra money for a second FSR/FST/DST first stage. For the moment, this stage will only be used for cold water dives.

Thanks for your answers and advice in advance.

On my opinion the most obvious choice is to get another first stage identical to the one you already own.
Also for the second stages, my choice was always to have two identical high-performances second stages.
This simplifies maintainance and problem solving.

On my opinion the most obvious choice is to get another first stage identical to the one you already own.
Also for the second stages, my choice was always to have two identical high-performances second stages.
This simplifies maintainance and problem solving.
Thanks for your answer and advice on the first stage. Concearning the second stage, the XTX200 is the same as the XTX40 with the only difference that the XTX40 doesn't have the ability to change the breathing resistance while beeing submerged (which I get upgraded during service)

Thanks for your answer and advice on the first stage. Concearning the second stage, the XTX200 is the same as the XTX40 with the only difference that the XTX40 doesn't have the ability to change the breathing resistance while beeing submerged (which I get upgraded during service)
Changing (increasing) the breathing resistance is usually more useful on the second stage from which you are NOT breathing, for avoiding free flow.
I usually switch among my two second stages during the dive, so both are "kept in use".
Of course I open the knob of the one I am breathing from, and I close by a couple of turns the knob of the one not being used.

Since this will be an alternate second, get the knob like Angelo Farina advises.

Get the XTX50 with the knob, for not much more than 40, but substantially less than the 200. (The different cover on the 50, will also help differentiate it from other seconds.)

1673137703650.png

Regarding Firsts; a DST would probably provide easier hose routing, especially if used with H-valve. 5th port DST is also priced less than FSR (and more versatile). 💵

I dive an Apeks ATX200 as my primary and the reason I own it is because of a full on freeze up in Crescent Lake, WA that scared the **** out of me. I love this reg. Just need to remember to "de-tune" it at my safety stop or will free flow when I hit the surface.

You might check out the Sherwood Blizzard Pro.

SeaRat

Personally I regret buying the DS4 as the second first stage because it only has 1 HP port which may or may not present a hose routing problem.

If you use a Shearwater AI you have to consider where exactly you will put the emitter... I dive manifolded doubles so I am lucky that there is enough of a gap between the 2 first stages but I cannot swap my regulators/stages onto a 15l tank as the space is too small.

If you have the finances get another XTX200 you won't regret it.

1673165395758.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom