Be careful with Innerspace in Big Pine!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not one to complain in a public forum, but you know, I give credit where it's due, and when I get annoyed at bad service, I have to put it out there to warn others.

Several months back when I was setting up my dives for this vacation, I made a list of what sites I wanted to see, and sent emails to various operators to see what they offered. One of the sites I wanted to dive was the Adolphus Busch off Big Pine. So I googled the operators in that area and found Innerspace, I emailed them, and received a reply back a few days later. I gave them the dates I was interested in, and the person answering their emails said that he'd pencil me in for both dates, (and both trip times) and which ever filled up easier would be the trip I'd be included on. He then said when I got here, just call the shop and confirm which trip.

I called the day after I arrived, and no answer at two seperate times. I called this past friday morning, and nothing again. Today my wife and I planned spending the day in Key West, and figured we'd stop to see if they were still in business. We got there and they were in fact open. The person at the counter had nothing in the books, and basically had no Busch dive to offer me on the dates I wanted. He also stated that the person that replies to the emails lives in Massachusetts and then CALLS in any requests. Apparently this system doesn't work.

So just beware when doing business with this operator...If you want to use them, maybe it's best to call, but I had trouble reaching them that way also....Next time I'll move my business down the road to Looe Key dive center.

Yeah, I had a pretty much the same experience with them.I was interested in them because they use a Privateer boat-same as the one I own here.When I called them on arrival they had no reservation and when I told them my wife forgot her card they made a big issue of it.I informed them that it should be no big deal,I'll sign off for her as that I am a current/insured instructor or they can do a check on PADI site for her adv.card.They still were making an issue of it so I said forget it I'll go elsewhere.Went to Looe Key and had a fine time.Not my kind of diving on a cattleboat but it was controlled in such a way that I did not mind .The crew on Looe key made it a fun day.

A couple of years ago we went out with Strike Zone charters and had a nice time

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Innerspace has been notified of this thread.

Part of the attraction of the Keys is the laid-back, carefree attitude. So, you may meet people who are going to be care-less with things, like your reseravations. As long as they are happy, that's OK.

The best response is be like a local, kick back, have a couple of drinks, and don't let it bother you.

Part of the attraction of the Keys is the laid-back, carefree attitude. So, you may meet people who are going to be care-less with things, like your reseravations. As long as they are happy, that's OK.

The best response is be like a local, kick back, have a couple of drinks, and don't let it bother you.

That sounds great in theory, but if you live in PA and are planning a Keys diving trip, you kind of want the shops you arrange the diving with to have you signed up for diving... If weather or something else uncontrollable by the dive shop were the issue, I would fully agree with you, but to have a shop fail to record a reservation would be pretty hard for any vacationer to get over. I don't blame the OP one bit for being annoyed by this, many people are only able to take vacations like this once every several years if not once in a lifetime. I don't know if that is the case here or not, but the good thing is that it does sound like they were able to get past the issue and still enjoy the trip.

Sorry...that's not an excuse to blow off business like that. I've been here many times before and even the more laid back shops I've encountered were a little more organized! The kid at the shop even made it seem like it happens all of the time.

Diving with Captain Hooks on Tuesday instead....not a wreck dive, but diving none the less!

That sounds great in theory, but if you live in PA and are planning a Keys diving trip, you kind of want the shops you arrange the diving with to have you signed up for diving... If weather or something else uncontrollable by the dive shop were the issue, I would fully agree with you, but to have a shop fail to record a reservation would be pretty hard for any vacationer to get over. I don't blame the OP one bit for being annoyed by this, many people are only able to take vacations like this once every several years if not once in a lifetime. I don't know if that is the case here or not, but the good thing is that it does sound like they were able to get past the issue and still enjoy the trip.

I'm still getting wet...:D

But yeah, weather and other issues happens, but this was a tad annoying. Even if they said no one else signed up for those days, I could have lived with it, but the fact that I was TOLD that I would be on the books for those two days in case something DID arise threw up a red flag, and I thought I'd pass it along.

The OP made a great post and gave good advise. It is alway best to follow up with an operator a few days before you get there. Especially when you make plans weeks or months in advance. Sounds like the operator needs to sort out who answers their emails and makes the reservations. A valid concern.

BTW We had an operator that was suppose to have one of their cabanas reserved for us. When I checked a week before no reservation - staff change as well. They said if it was not sorted out when arrive they would put us up in one of their other rooms for free. We had a cabana when we arrived.

Sorry...that's not an excuse to blow off business like that. I've been here many times before and even the more laid back shops I've encountered were a little more organized! The kid at the shop even made it seem like it happens all of the time.

Diving with Captain Hooks on Tuesday instead....not a wreck dive, but diving none the less!

I've no experience with Innerspace, honestly, other than the Spree or a privately chartered boat I've never dove south of Islamorada..., running into problems with operators who use an out of area\state booking agent seems to be a recurring issue on the board here...

I see similar scenarios play on boats here locally, where a shop sends over customers at the last minute, or an instructor shows up unannounced w/ a gaggle of students and the Captain is left juggling the schedule to make sure everyone gets a dive within their training levels, so sometimes a deep wreck becomes a shallow wreck or a reef. I take it in stride most of the time, after all, a bad day diving beats a good day at work... This is why we generally fill a 6-pack when we wanna hit something special; we own the entire boat for the day.

So, the moral of the story is to deal directly w/ the boat\shop, as they are the only ones you can realistically hold accountable for your experiences.

-Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom