BBQ & Dive 8/14/2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a "maybe" on the FB page for this (thanks John!). A couple questions...

Are different folks signing up to bring different picnic stuff? How/where?

When does actual diving begin? I wouldn't want to miss out. Do most people do more than one dive?

I know these are elementary questions. I've never BBQ'd with beach crabs before.

OMG, I'm bummed - I gotta bail! I just found out that my dear hubby signed us up for a sailboat race on the 14th, and already paid the registration fees. That's what I get for not putting this on the calendar at home...he didn't know I was already booked. :depressed:

I hope y'all book another one soon! I miss beach diving.

I just came across this group and it appears to be what I'm looking for. Since I became certified, I have had difficulty finding a diving buddy and also joining a group locally. I read some of the posts here and I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only noob struggling with this predicament. I'm serious about become a more experienced diver but I realize experienced divers loathe new ones. I'm willing to travel out there and make it to the meet ups; the plane tickets are cheap from Phoenix, and promise to be a fast learner or at the least, serious about learning. If anyone knows a better group for me to join at my level than this one, I appreciate the help. Thanks

I just had to respond to this - trust me, not all experienced divers loathe noobs! :wink: Hey we were all noobs once. When I first got certified, I didn't know any other divers, and I was determined to really get into this sport. I started posting on dive-related message boards, including this one, and local experienced divers started inviting me out to events like this, or just out for beach dives. That's how I did most of my dives right after I got certified. If it hadn't been for the experienced divers who mentored me, I probably never would have continued...or I would have just become a "vacation diver".

This type of event is a great way to meet other divers and develop some friendships. But given that you live so far away, if you want to dive more frequently (because these events are not very common) I'd suggest booking yourself for day trips on our local dive boats. If you can make arrangements with a local diver to buddy with you in advance, that would be best - post a thread in the SoCal forum and ask if anyone wants to be your buddy on a boat trip. You'll probably get some takers.

You might also want to check out DiveVets : Friends Getting Wet! | Join our active and fun group of SoCal divers. - they are a group of VERY frequent divers: they meet pretty much every Wed. night at Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach. That's where I did my first beach dives, and there was always someone there willing to buddy with me.

Hi, my name is Mike. I would like to go to this event. I am a newer diver but have not dove for over a year. I looked North Leo Carrillo up on google earth and only found Leo Carrillo state park. I would assume this is the same place?

Do people usually bring one, two or three tanks?

I would be happy to bring chips and my home made salsa.

So is this still on? There is also the Pacific Wilderness Veteran's Park BBQ and beach dive the same day. I almost bailed on this one because Redondo is closer for me. Can someone post if this is still a go?

So, is this Dive&Que still open? I'm planning on being there.

I'm a "maybe" on the FB page for this (thanks John!). A couple questions...

Are different folks signing up to bring different picnic stuff? How/where?

When does actual diving begin? I wouldn't want to miss out. Do most people do more than one dive?

I know these are elementary questions. I've never BBQ'd with beach crabs before.

Yes... people are signing up for diffrent things. Just bring whatever ya feel like. I know a few are bringing chips and dip. Not sure on Water/drinks. I think Greg has hotdogs and buns but we can always use more. Other then that its free game.

Diving begins when ever people feel like getting in the water. I plan on being their around 8 -830. So any time after that. Most people bring two tanks in case the conditions are good enough. Better to have to many tanks then not enough :D
OMG, I'm bummed - I gotta bail! I just found out that my dear hubby signed us up for a sailboat race on the 14th, and already paid the registration fees. That's what I get for not putting this on the calendar at home...he didn't know I was already booked. :depressed:

I hope y'all book another one soon! I miss beach diving.

I just had to respond to this - trust me, not all experienced divers loathe noobs! :wink: Hey we were all noobs once. When I first got certified, I didn't know any other divers, and I was determined to really get into this sport. I started posting on dive-related message boards, including this one, and local experienced divers started inviting me out to events like this, or just out for beach dives. That's how I did most of my dives right after I got certified. If it hadn't been for the experienced divers who mentored me, I probably never would have continued...or I would have just become a "vacation diver".

This type of event is a great way to meet other divers and develop some friendships. But given that you live so far away, if you want to dive more frequently (because these events are not very common) I'd suggest booking yourself for day trips on our local dive boats. If you can make arrangements with a local diver to buddy with you in advance, that would be best - post a thread in the SoCal forum and ask if anyone wants to be your buddy on a boat trip. You'll probably get some takers.

You might also want to check out DiveVets : Friends Getting Wet! | Join our active and fun group of SoCal divers. - they are a group of VERY frequent divers: they meet pretty much every Wed. night at Veteran's Park in Redondo Beach. That's where I did my first beach dives, and there was always someone there willing to buddy with me.

that sucks

Hi, my name is Mike. I would like to go to this event. I am a newer diver but have not dove for over a year. I looked North Leo Carrillo up on google earth and only found Leo Carrillo state park. I would assume this is the same place?

Do people usually bring one, two or three tanks?

I would be happy to bring chips and my home made salsa.

Yes It is Leo Carrillo state park. The crabs named it three different areas. So N. Leo Carrillo is inside the park. People usually bring two tanks just incase conditions are good enough for 2 dives. Ok ya can bring chips and dip.

So is this still on? There is also the Pacific Wilderness Veteran's Park BBQ and beach dive the same day. I almost bailed on this one because Redondo is closer for me. Can someone post if this is still a go?

Yes this is still on. I have it posted in two places on here and FB.

I know there are at least 4 people for sure off of FB and how ever many say they are going on here :D

Hey, what's the FB name? Is it a Beach Crabs page? Lemme know and I'll friend you! :)

I was wondering the same as Leejnd.

Yea Erika! Where is the Facebook Beach Crabs link?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom