Balmorhea: San Soloman Springs Pool Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From TPWD: Balmorhea State Park
Due to heavy and consistent rains, the swimming pool is currently closed for safety concerns regarding low visibility. Contact the park for more information.
Run off from Lowell I suppose...?

From TPWD: Balmorhea State Park

Run off from Lowell I suppose...?

More than likely the spring/cave system blew out and flooded the spring with silt and debre (Phantom cave must be roaring!). This happened in October - November 2004. As soon as we left (when it happened in 2004) Ranger Tom locked the gates and closed the park. Ranger Tom said back then that the state makes them close the park if the visibility does not exceed 3 ft. If they closed the park, you can bet that it's like diving in a lake. When it happened in 2004 there was a funky algea/bacteria growing on the hydrilla that was milky white. In most cases the hydrilla that had the algea growing on it died. Very funky stuff. It's a very different dive site when you can't see your hand in front of you. I was helping with a class back then and we taught the class via touch contact.

Oh yeah, One thing really cool is that the oatmeal bowl (A southern section of the spring where water boils out through a sand pit) will be spitting small rocks/pebbles up from the surface floor about 5 feet.

I heard that the pool overflowed the sides as the spillway could not drain it fast enough...

I heard that the pool overflowed the sides as the spillway could not drain it fast enough...

It did that in 2004 too. The water level was about 2 - 4 inches over the sidewalk. I think I logged a whopping 25 feet. I'll have to go back and look at my log book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom