Bailout Gas Plan on DiveProMe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yay thread derailment

With the non-backmount CCRs trying to go mainstream, there seems much debate & confusion about what is optimal and safe, or covered under existing Mod1/2/3 standards etc

If just the one dilout cyl--you lose that at depth, you lost your diluent, bailout, and inflation all at once? Ya gonna switch everything over to the one other deco cyl at once, after bolting back up to the MOD (while remembering to blow bubbles?)

Pretty sure that'd kill me in an actually bad situation, YMMV tho
This is covered in the course. You don't need dil or inflation to go up. Just O2. That said, I'm considering splitting my dil and inflation as I posted earlier, as blowing up the wing with TMX seems wasteful

Shirley it's longhose on the LEFT as you will donate your bottom (bailout) gas. The RHS normally will be DECO gas, i.e. death if used deep.
The SW config I normally see is identical gas left & right, for diluent redundancy. (Remember, there is no 3L onboard dil bottle.) A necklaced short hose on the left (for ease of BO) seems like a natural choice, leaving the right bottle for the long hose and spare dil whip. Sling/leash/drop deco bottles as needed.

Yay thread derailment

With the non-backmount CCRs trying to go mainstream, there seems much debate & confusion about what is optimal and safe, or covered under existing Mod1/2/3 standards etc

If just the one dilout cyl--you lose that at depth, you lost your diluent, bailout, and inflation all at once? Ya gonna switch everything over to the one other deco cyl at once, after bolting back up to the MOD (while remembering to blow bubbles?)

Pretty sure that could kill me in an actually bad situation, YMMV tho
Pretty much why I was sold on offboard dil in SM format (at least for my current mod1); I got 2 bottles ready (if I did connect also the dil mav)
A GUE config JJ seemed too heavy an alternative for my poor knees
But horses for courses so no hate on my side for other formats
:trainwreck:

Trying to get back on the rails:
Software testing is great for catching bugs, esp. for open source community tools — something I can get behind

The SW config I normally see is identical gas left & right, for diluent redundancy. (Remember, there is no 3L onboard dil bottle.) A necklaced short hose on the left (for ease of BO) seems like a natural choice, leaving the right bottle for the long hose and spare dil whip. Sling/leash/drop deco bottles as needed.
Correct. Both the sidewinder and the genesis are really bad choices for "right-rich, left-lean" kinds of deep BO and deco gas slinging like many folks do with backmounted CCRs.

Stop doing what? This thread is about the DiveProMe app and a technical bug within it

FYI, my IANTD Mod1 certification is not a 'no deco' certification
MOD1 does not include deco gases but knock yourself out. People have died (fairly recently too) trying to use different L/R gases in SM CCRs like the sidewinder and genesis

This is covered in the course. You don't need dil or inflation to go up. Just O2. That said, I'm considering splitting my dil and inflation as I posted earlier, as blowing up the wing with TMX seems wasteful
Are we talking proper deco CCR here?

In this course you refer to, the instructor is fine with a possible loss of diluent, loss of inflation, AND loss of the only breathable OC gas all at once, with deco obligations--and you can't think of any situations where that would be fatal--and no consideration of easy fixes that give you something else to breathe in case it's more than just a "loss of diluent"? it sounds like a quick and easy course, for easy dives.

I guess if you're buddy/team diving then there could be another breathable cylinder around... how close are you?
At the very least you could put a H valve on that lone breathable tank, or else clip a small pony somewhere.

Now if you're on some super easy open water tec-rec dive in no current and great vis in the tropics, something just stops working and you're not otherwise challenged, then ok, maybe it's fine, and yes it is very rare for stages to just fail completely. So I'm with you there. But the training and course standards for anything Mod2 or deeper probably need to do better than that, and prepare divers for more than just the super easy everything's fine scenario.

As an example of how the "it's fine if I lose the gas, I'll just ascend" mantra is not always enough

Once had the interesting experience of faffing about mid-water column with a massive and elusive jellyfish, then distractedly sunk with camera in hand and the ADV slider closed (I was on 'ascent' after all!) Similar to a loss of diluent.

The sinking accelerated quickly, the counterlungs collapsed to nothing, it was a 'negative' freedive plus 50+kg of nonbuoyant gear. The drysuit squeezed. There was none of this "just calmly go up, it's fine." Drygloved hands fumbled for the slider, the MAV, the wing inflate in the dust cloud at the fortunately near bottom (and low setpoint). Sh!t happens and you're gonna want some gas for that.

Change the scenario to a downcurrent on a tropical wall or some other thing that wasn't happening when we calmy bullshido'ed out of any 'problem' on the course

As an example of how the "it's fine if I lose the gas, I'll just ascend" mantra is not always enough

Once had the interesting experience of faffing about mid-water column with a massive and elusive jellyfish, then distractedly sunk with camera in hand and the ADV slider closed (I was on 'ascent' after all!) Similar to a loss of diluent.

The sinking accelerated quickly, the counterlungs collapsed to nothing, it was a 'negative' freedive plus 50+kg of nonbuoyant gear. The drysuit squeezed. There was none of this "just calmly go up, it's fine." Drygloved hands fumbled for the slider, the MAV, the wing inflate in the dust cloud at the fortunately near bottom (and low setpoint). Sh!t happens and you're gonna want some gas for that.

Change the scenario to a downcurrent on a tropical wall or some other thing that wasn't happening when we calmy bullshido'ed out of any 'problem' on the course
Too bad what you dropped was your camera, if you had that on film it would make a “killer” horror/thriller movie footage, maybe even a blockbuster

Gald you’re still with us, that sounded scary tbh

It's also a cave config where it's common to have two identical diluent cylinders to maximise bailout exit swimming distance.

A bit complex for MOD1 where you're learning basic CCR skills with no deco, hence a single bailout is 'normal'. Multiple bailouts are generally taught at MOD2 or Cave CCR.

To clarify the "bailout left"... That's the normal config for backmount CCR due to the DIR influence, hence the longhose on the bottom bailout mounted on the LHS. Sidemount CCR (Gemini, Sidewinder) may vary this as it's common for sidemounters to have the longhose on the RHS.

Back
Top Bottom