Baggage fees.. Tightening the Screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol... I'm 6'5"... anyone even thinking about leaning their seat back is encroaching ;-)

Very few flights in Economy that I don't have bruised kneecaps on arrival.

Take a road trip and enjoy America for thousands cheaper then the soon to be out of buisness airlines who will price theirself right out of clients.
Too bad there's barely any decent diving in America. Sorry, but Florida pales in comparison to many Caribbean spots. Besides, a round-trip road trip from California to warm water, i.e. Florida or North Carolina, would use up a one-week vacation just for the drive.

Recession notwithstanding, the airlines are doing great nowadays. Until cars can do 600mph, or we at least install a practical network of bullet trains in this country, the airlines will always have plenty of customers.

lol... I'm 6'5"... anyone even thinking about leaning their seat back is encroaching ;-)

Very few flights in Economy that I don't have bruised kneecaps on arrival.

In terms of leaning seat back is a different story. Your best bet is to be in bulkhead seat or just behind non-reclining exit row. Other then that you have no "rights" against person reclining their seat back.

what ever the outcome I honestly say the airlines days do seem limited. You can only fleece people so long until they no longer can afford to fly. Whats sad is you quote a ticket as 200 dollars and it sounds like a good deal until you pay for your baggage and the over priced food and beverage inside the gates that often exceeds 300 or more dollars per person. by doing this they now have successfully scammed a family of 4 out of 400 dollars.

I said it earlier and ill say it again. The airlines better shape up before its too late and I hope and pray the government will not involve their self again with a hand out so they can continue to rob the American people. They need to learn what they are doing is bad buisness practice and alter it not just keep getting government aid to continue to steal from the american people.

WOW Making a person miss a flight because of their size. That can be a law suit right there. How would a person like it if you had to be a certain weight and you were under it so you had to weight till another flight. Nope I dont think thats a recommended idea.
An undersized person wouldn't infringe on other passenger's rights. Besides, airlines are doing it already. A few months ago, the guy that makes a lot of movies where he plays Silent Bob was kicked off a full flight because he's overweight and didn't buy a second seat.

Back to baggage. My biggest issue with carry ons is that they do not assign each seat with an overhead compartment. It's first come first serve and we board from the back of the plane first, so some of thos passengers see fit to put their stuff in the forward compartments so they don't have to carry them as far. That leaves no room left for the people towards the front of the plane. On top of that, these low lifes tend to stuff their coats and whatever else they don't want in the seat with them in there too!!!

In terms of leaning seat back is a different story. Your best bet is to be in bulkhead seat or just behind non-reclining exit row. Other then that you have no "rights" against person reclining their seat back.

actually they have no chance of actually accomplishing it.

actually they have no chance of actually accomplishing it.
I know what you mean. My knees are already into the metal between the seat backs before the person in front of me even tries reclining. They always manage to make it happen anyway though. :shocked2:

what ever the outcome I honestly say the airlines days do seem limited. You can only fleece people so long until they no longer can afford to fly. Whats sad is you quote a ticket as 200 dollars and it sounds like a good deal until you pay for your baggage and the over priced food and beverage inside the gates that often exceeds 300 or more dollars per person. by doing this they now have successfully scammed a family of 4 out of 400 dollars.

I said it earlier and ill say it again. The airlines better shape up before its too late and I hope and pray the government will not involve their self again with a hand out so they can continue to rob the American people. They need to learn what they are doing is bad buisness practice and alter it not just keep getting government aid to continue to steal from the american people.
I said it earlier and I'll say it again: the airlines are doing just fine and they always will. After all, they have the monopoly on air travel, or any sort of speedy travel for that matter. They also have a near monopoly on overseas travel, since boats are pretty slow, expensive, and don't have a fraction of the number of crossings that airlines do.

It's odd that people nowadays think they have some God-given right to cheap air travel. In the old days of air travel, it was limited to the rich, people would dress up in finery and eat luxury food on-board. At some point, "economy" or "coach" air travel was invented, and more people were able to use the airlines for occasional travel or for business efficiency. At some point, air travel became cheap enough that everyone started flying everywhere, taking the family to Disneyland and Disneyworld, taking the family to grandma's, the 737 pretty much replaced the family station wagon. Flights are booked solid. Of course the airlines know this means they can squeeze more money out of people since demand far exceeds supply. At some point, it will balance out. More people will realize they can't afford to fly so they'll drive instead. People will price airfare as a larger percent of their travel budget and decide to vacation closer to home. Businesses will cut back further on travel and use teleconferencing instead. And hopefully, all this will mean less overbooking, shorter security lines, and more open middle seats for me.

A few months ago, the guy that makes a lot of movies where he plays Silent Bob was kicked off a full flight because he's overweight and didn't buy a second seat.

Wow I am no overweight person but man thats just harsh. Im just a little over sized (they say body mass is +2 percent what ever that means) and I still cant sit in those toddler chairs. I went flying once with a girlfriend who was 4'9 and 90 pounds and she was even too large for the seats.

I am also amazed that a lady who is in her 80s and told she had only a matter of time (not long) to live so she wanted to fly back home where she was going to be buried and the numbsculls thought that her diaper was too dangerous to leave on her. A DIAPER????????

Im just amazed at how between the airlines stupid stunts they are pulling and the security measures they put in place they still have anyone willing to fly.

Years ago it was at the 55 mph time frame about 6 to 8 hour drive from Tulsa to Dallas and it was much quicker and more convenient to fly. Now between the diaper checks and the airlines ignorance it takes about 2 hours to get checked in and on the plane and its a 1 hour flight versus 4 hours of drive time. An extra hour saves thousands and you have room to relax.

The old lady's diaper was wet, full, and they couldn't tell what was in it, so the daughter took her to the restroom to remove it. Too bad they didn't pack spares, but who is to blame for that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom