Baggage fees.. Tightening the Screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azscubadude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My last trip to Cozumel was at the end of March 2011. At the time I was overweight on my dive bag and because of some new camera equipment I purchased and couldn't spread out to the other bags. So I had to pay Continental Airlines the overweight charge of $50.00 on my one bag. I knew I was overweight by about 9 pounds and paid the $50.00 each way.

So now, three months later, I'm looking at another trip and went to check the flights. Seeing the warning links in the booking windows concerning baggage I thought I had better check them out in case I couldn't get my bag back to 50 pounds.

Low and behold, the overweight baggage charges are now $200.00 each (and each way) for any bag between 51 and 70 pounds and $400.00 each (and each way) for any bag over 70 pounds.

I couldn't believe they had quadrupled their charges from $50.00 in March to $200.00 now for 51 pounds and up. So I called Continental just to make sure I was reading it right because the wording on their website says, quote.. "will be charged at the rate of up to $200.00 per piece depending on the destination". The words "depending on the destination" were unclear to me so when I talked to the agent she said that for Mexico and the whole Caribbean the charge is a flat $200.00 for 51 pounds and up and that the "depending" doesn't count to those destinations.

I've seen many people spreading their luggage out on the floor next to the ticket agent booth trying to get their checked bags under 50 pounds so they don't have to pay the old $50.00 charge. It will now cost you $200.00.

So be forewarned, the screws are tightening.

OMG! :shocked2: We knew that they were happy with their new incomes over bags, but this is absurd. Thanks for the warning. Makes you want to use rental gear more huh?

Always good to consider taking extra bags under 50 if that works out less...?

I was overweight when I left on Sunday (and so was my bag) :wink: I said "scuba gear?", the agent asked "No clothes, just scuba gear?", I replied "Yep, all scuba gear. Clothes are in that bag." and I pointed to my son's bag. She tagged it and sent it on through...

I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but every time I've been overweight when I tell them it's scuba gear they let it slide. I've never been asked about the clothes issue before though. Stupid, as really, as I would think ANYONE who is over 50lbs has to have gear in their bag!

Continental used to have extra free allowances for scuba gear bag, no clothes. That was cancelled a few years ago but it is always fun to find an agent who missed that change. In some locations, local agents are not actually company employees but rather are contracted to work the flights per company standards, changing name tags for different airlines worked. I don't know if Coz agents are all employees or not, but that's a possibility, as contractors who work various airline flights cannot keep up with all the different rules and changes.

OMG! Makes you want to use rental gear more huh?
Always good to consider taking extra bags under 50 if that works out less...?

Doesn't even come close to making me want to rent! I want to LIVE I tell ya!

Travel with tanks and it gets worse.
For those worried about the Sorb restrictions, Sofonolime 797 is under the 4% limit mentioned below.

LuggageFoward.com just quoted $217 for a 75lb bag shipped from US to Cozumel... requires 6-8 days lead time though.
$350 to St Thomas VI with 5-7 day

I'm thinking the days of flying and diving are coming to an end, they are certainly going to be less frequent for myself.
Time to start considering moving to a coastal area.

Scuba EquipmentContinental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.
Dive bags weighing over 50lbs (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight fee.
Dive bags measuring over 62 linear inches (157 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.
If applicable, the first or second bag fee applies to scuba equipment.
An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way).
An empty dive tank or up to 3 rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $100 (each way) for domestic travel, and $200 (each way) for international travel. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected from the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e. the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.
Note: for Rebreather Equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4.1% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.
An item of SCUBA equipment consists of one empty SCUBA tank, up to 3 rebreather tanks or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing SCUBA equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.
Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.
Excess Valuation may not be purchased for Scuba diving equipment.

I was overweight when I left on Sunday (and so was my bag) :wink: I said "scuba gear?", the agent asked "No clothes, just scuba gear?", I replied "Yep, all scuba gear. Clothes are in that bag." and I pointed to my son's bag. She tagged it and sent it on through...

I don't know if I'm lucky or what, but every time I've been overweight when I tell them it's scuba gear they let it slide. I've never been asked about the clothes issue before though. Stupid, as really, as I would think ANYONE who is over 50lbs has to have gear in their bag!

Below is the exact wording from Continentals website on sporting / scuba equipment. At $50.00 you can take the chance that they will overlook it because that will only cost you $50/$100 if they catch it going both ways but at $200 that can add up REAL fast, so I don't think I want to roll the dice on a possible $400.00 bet only to loose because you get an agent that is having a bad day.

If you read the items I made bold they totally contradict each other. The first bold quote totally wipes out the others.

Quoted from Continental (and it is more ambiguous as the wording "depending on the destination" in my first post).

Scuba Equipment
Continental does accept one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

Dive bags weighing over 50lbs (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight fee.

Dive bags measuring over 62 linear inches (157 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.

If applicable, the first or second bag fee applies to scuba equipment.

An empty dive tank will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a $100 service charge (each way).

An empty dive tank or up to 3 rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the Free Baggage Allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $100 (each way) for domestic travel, and $200 (each way) for international travel. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected from the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e. the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.

Note: for Rebreather Equipment: Soda lime that is 4% Sodium Hydroxide or less will be accepted in checked baggage. Soda lime that is 4.1% Sodium Hydroxide will not be accepted in checked baggage.

An item of SCUBA equipment consists of one empty SCUBA tank, up to 3 rebreather tanks or one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport. The empty scuba/rebreather tank and a separate dive bag containing SCUBA equipment will be charged as two separate pieces.

Continental is not liable for damage to Scuba diving equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for Scuba diving equipment.

And somehow I doubt they give a bonus to the poor schmuck baggage handler that has to lift all of these heavy arse overweight bags! Lol

If the overweight baggage fee is for the additional fuel costs, they should just start charging fares based on the combined weight of each passenger and their luggage. It might encourage some potential passengers to put down the big mac or the double grilled stuffed burrito...... :shakehead:

If the overweight baggage fee is for the additional fuel costs..

No No No.. they also have a new fuel surcharge that goes on your ticket. So at the end of searching for a good price for the whole day and finally getting it where you want it they add the surcharge to the ticket just as you hit the "purchase" button.

they should just start charging fares based on the combined weight of each passenger and their luggage.

Please don't give them any more ideas, :D

Holy Crap!!!! Pretty soon it will cost more for your bags than the fare for you to sit in the plane. :shocked2:

You just cost me 20 bucks.....I had to buy a luggage scale to avoid these ridiculous fees. Heck, i might end up wearing my BC when I board.
Annoying, I only weigh 165lbs and get the same seat and baggage allowance at the same price as the 300lb fellow sitting next to (and overflowing onto) me.

Back
Top Bottom