Baggage fees.. Tightening the Screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You just cost me 20 bucks.....I had to buy a luggage scale to avoid these ridiculous fees. Heck, i might end up wearing my BC when I board.
Annoying, I only weigh 165lbs and get the same seat and baggage allowance at the same price as the 300lb fellow sitting next to (and overflowing onto) me.
They're a good idea regardless, $4 on ebay Buy-it-now, but there have also been issues with the airlines not keeping their scales accurate. Good luck.

I just use a regular scale and make sure it's not reading too close to 50lbs. My checked bag usually weighs in a little under 40lbs, so I have room to bring back souvanires. I have a suit case that's the maximum size for a carry on that I use to bring my dive gear and a change of clothes. I can make due if the airline loses my luggage again as long as I have what I carry on. I hate using rental gear!

Holy Crap!!!! Pretty soon it will cost more for your bags than the fare for you to sit in the plane. :shocked2:

Heck, I've gotten to the point of comparing Econ vs 1st Class... with the extra baggage allowance of 1st Class the gap is closing

At $30 one-way, it is a lot cheaper to check a second bag that to gamble with overcharges on a single bag. Last trip (June 21-July 1) my wife and I did that with room to spare.

That said, as of right now this is Delta's charge:

Travel to/from/within Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean

75 USD/CAD* for bags weighing 51-70 lbs.
200 USD/CAD* for bags weighing 71-100lbs.

Under "Sports Equipment" it says that, excluding tanks, scuba equipment can be checked as "normal checked baggage."

Previously, American has had about the same level of charges. I am in the Washington DC area, so Delta and American are my main options. For me, Continental has been out of the question for several reasons for a long time.

Heck, I've gotten to the point of comparing Econ vs 1st Class... with the extra baggage allowance of 1st Class the gap is closing
Not a bad idea .... often when doing the 24 hour check-in on CT, you can upgrade to 1st class pretty cheap.

You just cost me 20 bucks.....I had to buy a luggage scale to avoid these ridiculous fees. Heck, i might end up wearing my BC when I board.
Annoying, I only weigh 165lbs and get the same seat and baggage allowance at the same price as the 300lb fellow sitting next to (and overflowing onto) me.
Why are you being rude, do you not think you are heavier than a 110lb 15 year old girl that pays the same fare, annoying.

A digital luggage scale is a very useful thing to have at home; cheap at $20.

Duffle bags are better than soft or hard luggage - gives you approx. 8+ lbs more.

If pressed, you can wear your BCD onto the plane; yes, it makes no sense. A photographer's vest is also a useful tool - stuff the pockets.

I, too, would like to see passengers weighed and baggage limits based on TOTAL weight of the passenger and luggage! Just think of all the camera toys I could bring with me.

Don't leave home without it.

TSA will probably be figuring out a reason why to ban them pretty soon.

We have the digital travel scales too and they have come in handy many times. We've found them to be very accurate. With the extra baggage charges, it's becoming more economical to just bring my four-year old with us because we get an extra free bag (and his clothes take up very little space!). :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom