Liveaboard etiquette, baggage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsyteng

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks: heading to Palau for my first LOB ever! Very very psyched but have a few questions.

I'll be traveling solo. Initially, I thought I would bring 2 carry-ons, since I can fit all my scuba gear into one carry-on if necessary, and avoid the whole hassle of checking in and claiming of baggage.

Aggressor travel agent informed me that my international flights (via a US-based carrier) only allow 1 carry-on and 1 check-in (up to 50 lbs). If I decided to forgo bringing in a check-in and go with 2 carry-ons, the 2nd would incur an additional $100 charge (each way).

For context, my 2nd carry-on (with scuba gear) might be able to squeeze by as a personal item, since it is backpack and not rectagular shaped. It however, does have a rigid back side (for the telescopic handle), with roller wheels. I do think it could fit under the seat in front of me. But there is a chance it gets flagged and I'll be forced to check it in anyways, which would defeat the whole purpose of trying to travel light.

The alternative is to bring my full size scuba bag. It's really large (Scubapro Dive N' Roll) and can easily fit 2 sets of gear. I could fit everything I need for the entire trip in it and just bring a small backpack to carry-on. Since this is my first LOB though, I believe I read somewhere that it's ideal to bring a dive bag that can fit under the bunk beds of your cabin. There is a chance that I'll get an entire double-occupancy cabin to myself (since there are plenty of spaces left on this charter), which would be awesome. . . . but in case I don't, I'd like to be a good cabin-mate and not bring more than is necessary.

Any opinions and suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I say check a bag. You don’t have to stuff it with everything you own just because it is big. Bring carryon or personal item with the appropriate things, on which opinions will vary. Don’t try to be that person with oversize crap jamming things up, or possibly get forced into checking something you really don’t want checked. Also, a long flight will be more comfortable if you have a place to put your feet, and it’s easy rather than a stuggle to grab something out of your small personal item.

I looked up that bag and can’t tell if it is mostly soft or has a partial hard shell that won’t collapse to fit under bed when empty. It is best if it can, but many liveaboards also have a hold they will stash larger luggage in to get it out of the way. I’ve even seen them have a place on land. You just won’t see it again until its time to pack up at the end. It might not work if everyone on the boat had hard a hardsided suitcase, but it will typically be a mix. Ask your boat.

If you were on a non US carrier, size and weight limits for anything carryon are usually much smaller. If you’re going to do such dive travel you need to get used to the idea and work on how to desl with it - may as well start now!

I say check a bag. You don’t have to stuff it with everything you own just because it is big. Bring carryon or personal item with the appropriate things, on which opinions will vary. Don’t try to be that person with oversize crap jamming things up, or possibly get forced into checking something you really don’t want checked. Also, a long flight will be more comfortable if you have a place to put your feet, and it’s easy rather than a stuggle to grab something out of your small personal item.

I looked up that bag and can’t tell if it is mostly soft or has a partial hard shell that won’t collapse to fit under bed when empty. It is best if it can, but many liveaboards also have a hold they will stash larger luggage in to get it out of the way. I’ve even seen them have a place on land. You just won’t see it again until its time to pack up at the end. It might not work if everyone on the boat had hard a hardsided suitcase, but it will typically be a mix. Ask your boat.

If you were on a non US carrier, size and weight limits for anything carryon are usually much smaller. If you’re going to do such dive travel you need to get used to the idea and work on how to desl with it - may as well start now!
Thank you for the insightful reply. I see that you are in Boston, too (I as well). Have you gone to Palau from Logan before?

I haven't done a LOB from a flight, but I have flown a few times to resorts / hotels for dive trips. I like to pack my regs, computer, and lights into a regular backpack. Add to that things I want in the airport/plane: one change of clothes, passport, phone cable, books, water bottle, etc.

And then check a dive bag that contains my fins, backplate and wing, masks, wetsuit, booties, two 1-lb bits of lead, a towel, and all the rest of my regular clothing. Checked bags tend to get thrown around, so I pack the backplate on one side, fins on either side of it, which sort of makes a 3-sided box of rigid items. Then cram a whole bunch of squishy stuff in to fill up the space. Once everything is in the checked bag I inflate the wing to take up any remaining space.

This way I don't need to check anything fragile, and I don't lug around the heavy stuff any further than I have to. The lights aren't fragile, but they do contain Li-ion batteries which often cannot go into a checked bag. I would not recommend carrying on a large bag, if you can avoid it.

.... I believe I read somewhere that it's ideal to bring a dive bag that can fit under the bunk beds of your cabin. There is a chance that I'll get an entire double-occupancy cabin to myself (since there are plenty of spaces left on this charter), which would be awesome. . . . but in case I don't, I'd like to be a good cabin-mate and not bring more than is necessary.

Any opinions and suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Having been on an Aggressor Liveaboard I can tell you that bringing your large dive bag is the way to go. There is usually plenty of space for those in the rooms. And if it won't fit in your cabin, they have a hold where they can put hard-sided/large luggage while you're at sea. They don't advertise that because they do have limited space, to a point, and don't want every diver to bring everything they own. LOL! Have fun!

you sold me on the "long flight will be more comfortable if you have a place to put your feet" :) Checking a bag it will be.

Thank you for the insightful reply. I see that you are in Boston, too (I as well). Have you gone to Palau from Logan before?
Yes, did Aggressor once and Ocean Hunter once.
We actually returned from the Ocean Hunter trip through Manila. Turned out at the time to be easy to fly from Palau to Manila, so we paired that with a Tubbataha trip.

Regional differences may apply but, in my experience, a large hold bag and small carry on is the way to go. Whenever we first board via the dive deck on arrival, we open our hold bag and rig our kit. We then put our fins, mask, DSMB, etc, etc, in a crate below our rig, where it stays for the week.

We then take our hold bag down to the cabin and onload the rest of our luggage. Afterwards, we take the empty bag back to the dive deck for storage by one of the crew. We don't see it again till the end of the trip.

One other tip; don't over pack. You really don't need many clothes.

Oh, and you'll have an absolute blast! Liveaboards are the only way to dive. Enjoy!

Check a bag.

I am on the West coast but expect you will likely end up going to Hawaii then Guam to get there.

Palau is great with lots of wall dives. Many liveaboards anchor in German Channel and then dive 360 degrees around them. Beautiful place and yes, liveaboards are great. I like it for many reasons including what you see when not diving.

Yes, did Aggressor once and Ocean Hunter once.
We actually returned from the Ocean Hunter trip through Manila. Turned out at the time to be easy to fly from Palau to Manila, so we paired that with a Tubbataha trip.
That must be a really great trip to dive those two places on one trip.
It was also convenient and relatively cheap back in those days from HK as well!

35% of the total population!
How do those poor souls visiting home without costing an arm and a leg?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom