Liveaboard etiquette, baggage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the Palau Aggressor in 1999 flying out of Boston on United with a stop in Honululu and then Guam. I also did Yap prior to Palau as part of that trip, also flying United. I always travel with one large rolling duffel bag that I check in, and at least one carry-on. A second carry-on might be a small backpack. This was well before airlines introduced Basic Economy class, and on United's Basic Economy class, you are indeed restricted to one carry-on. If I were you, I'd check to see what class service your seats are.

The layout of the current Palau Aggressor is identical to the one that I was on. I don't recall encountering any problems putting my rolling duffle away under the lower bed.

So my advice to you would be to bring and check your big bag as well, altho in these COVID times, I prefer to carry on stuff that I prefer to not rent - such as mask, snorkel, and maybe even regulator.

If you still prefer to bring two carry-ons for convenience sake, you could try to ask the gate agent if your carry-on can be gate-checked. For all we know, the agent could be in a good mood and let you bring both of them onboard.

Off topic but..... FWIW, an old adage or old wive's tale from back then was to avoid using bags with dive equipment brand name on them because they scream "expensive stuff" to would-be robbers. And in the case of "Scubapro", it screams "expensive stuff"...............with a megaphone.

Aggressor travel agent informed me that my international flights (via a US-based carrier) only allow 1 carry-on and 1 check-in (up to 50 lbs). If I decided to forgo bringing in a check-in and go with 2 carry-ons, the 2nd would incur an additional $100 charge (each way).
Who is the US based carrier? I would would check with them directly because in my years of flying internationally two carryons has not been an issue on any major carrier. Sizing depending.

Thanks for your recent replies. I just finished my week of diving and am still in Koror waiting to hop on my departing flight. It’s been an amazing experience.

I‘ve been flying on United. I checked in a roller dive bag and there have been no issues. Using an AirTag in combination with the United app has been great for tracking the bag. In the end it was better to just carry on a backpack which made the ride much more comfortable (nothing to put under the seat in front of me). The roller dive bag was big but was still able to fit under the bunk bed. I was very fortunate to have an entire cabin to myself. Palau seems to be hurting for guests. We had only 7 on our boat, and I’ve heard this week’s boat has only 10. Aggressor has 2 boats and only one is being used each week right now. Koror feels like a ghost town (That said, I’m told it is also the low season . . . )

Palau has been a dream come true and once in a lifetime experience. Blue Corner, Peleliu Wall, and the parrotfish spawning were absolutely high-voltage! It has set a very high bar and has made the Caribbean much less interesting by comparison.

This has been my sentiment going to Bonaire after the Red Sea and Maldives. I was straight up bored on some dives! Adding Palau to the list.
If you’re a skier or snowboarder, it’s analogous to West coast vs East coast ski resorts. I’m not even motivated to goto Vermont anymore when the Rockies beckon . . .

Have you gone to Palau from Logan before?

Not from Boston, but I've been there so many times to know to know that I hate Logan airport, I feel for you trying to get anywhere

You've got your questions answered but I don't think you could put a set of scuba gear in a carry on that would fit under your seat or in the overhead but I could be wrong

I avoid using any bags that have scuba brand names on them, I believe it attracts thieves.
I do carryon for regs, computer, camera, etc. Fins and wetsuit go in checked bagage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom