My back surgery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to give into the pain last night and take an oxycontin. Sigh. Somehow, the cats felt it too, and all five hooligans were on the bed, most of them in direct contact with me. Even Olaf rubbed his head against my hand a couple of times. It was really nice since I felt a bit defeated having had to take that damn pill. I got some good sleep though.

One more thing. I've kinda parked my walker by my recliner. Trips to the loo or kitchen are being done without the benefit of it. I walk slow and take care to keep my balance, but I get it done. I'm not ready to abandon it for outside, but I'm getting there. I hate that effing walker. I really do.

One more thing. I've kinda parked my walker by my recliner. Trips to the loo or kitchen are being done without the benefit of it. I walk slow and take care to keep my balance, but I get it done. I'm not ready to abandon it for outside, but I'm getting there. I hate that effing walker. I really do.
That’s like hating a canoe paddle. It’s just a tool to complete a job, in this case, the job is walking without falling down. My mom hates her walker because someone may see her using it. My response is always “would you rather them see you go ass over teakettle”?

My response to you is would you rather trip over the cat and take a header and set your healing back a week or more?

My Mom hated using her walker. "I'm only going to the kitchen". Slipped, fell, broke her neck. No more Mom !!!
PLEASE use your walker when needed, DO NOT be like Mom!!!!!

I hate that effing walker.
Got canes? These are less than $10 at Walmart, other stores as well probably, easy to adjust in height, and so handy when the need arises. I haven't used one since April, but keep one in my bedroom, one by my computer, and one in the front seat of my car...

000.png

My response to you is would you rather trip over the cat and take a header and set your healing back a week or more?
It's a tool that I don't like to use. Hate's a strong word, which fits.

I've used it, will continue to use it as needed, but my goal is to wean myself off of it just as I wean myself off of Oxycontin. Independence through strength.

PLEASE use your walker when needed,
Of course.

My Physical Terrorist asked me one question when I told her: "Do you feel safe". Yes, yes I do. Slow, but sure.

For my hip surgeries, I told my doc I didn't want any opiates, whatsoever. However, he prescribed both Oxy and Tramadol (weaker), telling me to take as needed, but no more than the prescribed dose. He said that too much discomfort (e.g., being unable to sleep well) absolutely had to be avoided. I never took the Oxy, but I did take the Tramadol (50MG tablets), but only twice each surgery.

Opiates scare me.

rx7diver
OPIOIDS not Opiates. The latter is derived from a Heroin Poppy. I doubt that your doctor prescribed those.

Wow Pete! I just came across your posts. What a saga, I am so sorry to hear that you have been dealing with so much pain for such a long time. It sounds like the surgery was needed, and it sounds like you are making great healing progress. Keep it going, keep strong and positive as I know you will. I look forward to diving and hanging with you again. All good thoughts to you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom