My back surgery...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I moved from Oxy to Tramadol.
According to Drugs.com, no interactions have been found between Eliquis and tramadol, but this doesn't necessarily mean that none exist. You should always consult your local health authority for advice.

How is it working for you?

According to Drugs.com, no interactions have been found between Eliquis and tramadol, but this doesn't necessarily mean that none exist. You should always consult your local health authority for advice.

How is it working for you?
Oh, I took it for 2 days 2 years ago. I got away from the opioids as soon as possible. That crap scares me.

Oh, I took it for 2 days 2 years ago. I got away from the opioids as soon as possible. That crap scares me.
Yah, I want a non-opioid solution that won't cause me to bleed out should I cut myself.

Yah, I want a non-opioid solution.

It's called coke. Biochemistry is kinda limited that way: it's poppies or coke, chose wisely. NSAIDs and aspirin work, but for the kind of pain you got, they will kill your liver and/or kidneys first.

If you're not opioid-sensitive (apparently it's a thing) and don't go off-script, you'll be fine. Opioid addiction is overrated, it takes some serious abuse to get addicted and it takes some serious lack of willpower to be unable to get off.

I had a friend who would start shooting up black tar heroin by Halloween, get the shakes by early spring, go out to the boonies and get himself hired as agricultural worker. Couple of months later he'd come home clean and with some pocket cash to support a summer of hitch-hiking around the place; somewhere in the middle of that he'd start shooting up again and start getting withdrawal symptoms just in time for sowing. Rinse, lather, repeat.

PS. Not to downplay the problems and all, but if you stick to doctor's orders, you'll be fine.

Doctor just prescribed more oxycontin. Sigh. They just don't listen at times.

With my disc rupture, I was on 5mg (smallest made) every 6 hours (20mg\day). By hour 4 or 5, I was getting mildly uncomfortable and by 6 unhappy.

I asked the doc if it was ok to cut the pills in half and take 2.5mg every 4 hours (15mg\day) to smooth it out a little.

He sent in a new prescription for 10mg versions ... :banghead:

Fortunately, the lamenectomy was a "small" enough procedure that I took a few rounds of Tylenol and that was it.

I moved from Oxy to Tramadol.
For my hip surgeries, I told my doc I didn't want any opiates, whatsoever. However, he prescribed both Oxy and Tramadol (weaker), telling me to take as needed, but no more than the prescribed dose. He said that too much discomfort (e.g., being unable to sleep well) absolutely had to be avoided. I never took the Oxy, but I did take the Tramadol (50MG tablets), but only twice each surgery.

Opiates scare me.

rx7diver

For my hip surgeries, I told my doc I didn't want any opiates, whatsoever. However, he prescribed both Oxy and Tramadol (weaker), telling me to take as needed, but no more than the prescribed dose. He said that too much discomfort (e.g., being unable to sleep well) absolutely had to be avoided. I never took the Oxy, but I did take the Tramadol (50MG tablets) only twice each surgery.

Opiates scare me.

rx7diver
No kidding. It seems crazy how casual some healthcare providers are about prescribing opiates. A few years back I had impacted wisdom teeth extracted and the oral surgeon gave me a script for oxycodone on my way out the door. WTF dude? (I never filled it.)
I understand that some patients have a legitimate need for opiates because they can't function otherwise. But it should really be a last resort when nothing else works. The rest of us can just HTFU.

No kidding. It seems crazy how casual some healthcare providers are about prescribing opiates. A few years back I had impacted wisdom teeth extracted and the oral surgeon gave me a script for oxycodone on my way out the door. WTF dude? (I never filled it.)
I understand that some patients have a legitimate need for opiates because they can't function otherwise. But it should really be a last resort when nothing else works. The rest of us can just HTFU.
I had total hip replacement 9 weeks ago - Doc prescribed Oxy but was very clear to start getting off by day 3 and be completely off by day 5. The office even followed up on pain and to confirm I was off the Oxy at day 5. I only took it for 2 days and then stopped.

Opiates are not an issue as long as you follow the doctor's advice and get off of them as soon as possible - if responsibly used, they can be very helpful after surgery to get you over the pain hump.

A little pain is also not a bad thing so folks may need to suck it up a little and deal with it (as tolerable, of course) - I'm lucky as I don't feel pain much/have a high pain threshold (I've even done part 2 of root canals with no anesthesia to avoid the blubber lip feeling you get as novocaine wears off - I hate that feeling :))

Dang, you folks have scared me now. I have leftover Hydrocodone, Tramadol, and Apap/codeine that I quit taking at various times but held onto. I think I need turn these in at the pharmacy for proper disposal.

Pete, work with your doctor and ask him for nonopioid meds.

Back
Top Bottom