Bag "N Drag Cost from Cancun to Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I meant to say here was that price wise from LAX to Cancun or LAX to Cozumel are about the same price, and sometimes it is actually cheaper to fly into Cozumel.
I know you did. That's why I posted the pics showing it $200/person (36%!) cheaper into Cancun, sometimes.

Last edited:
I know you did. That's why I posted the pics showing it $200/person (36%!) cheaper into Cancun, sometimes.
But that difference should be reported as net, i.e. after taxi and ferry costs and/or Maya Air flight fare. For a single, having to pay a total of $120 in taxi fares and $30 in ferry fares, the net savings is only $50.

All true, but I have done both and it's a lot more convenient to fly direct to Cozumel. The price difference has to be a lot more than what the extra transportation costs to get me to do the bag drag. In 30+ years of going to Cozumel for me it has happened twice. YMMV, of course.

Here's the way I look at flying into CUN vs CZM from Austin.

The best rate to fly into CZM from AUS on Matrix is $579 with United connecting through IAH and flight time of 4 1/2 hrs. I can fly direct on AirTran for $387 and the flight time is 2 1/2 hours. Another benefit is going through Customs/Immigration in Austin vs Houston.

Edit, I checked the AirTran site and they use Terminal 2 in Cancun. Most international flights use Terminal 3.

Last edited:
But that difference should be reported as net, i.e. after taxi and ferry costs and/or Maya Air flight fare. For a single, having to pay a total of $120 in taxi fares and $30 in ferry fares, the net savings is only $50.
In the context of directly replying to his general statement, my intention was only to politely point out that he was wrong in his blanket statement. Results will vary, it's always good to compare prices and evaluate all factors, but his claim that "Fying from LAX to cancun is just about the same as to cozumel" was simply not always true.

As far as factoring details, I mentioned a taxi for him & wife - but if he were traveling as a single, like I would be, or like Montanagal who opened the thread with the info that she bought "Air Tran for $388RT Portland to Cancun," the bus works well as others have mentioned. When I compare for my trips, I figure on bus & ferry costs plus the extra bother and time, but it's always two planes for me either way and never a $200 lower fare so I don't bother. Sure, all factors should be considered, but if I could fly non-stop for $200 less like he could, I'd be happy to do the bus & ferry. I hope Montanagal is.

I did see the small picture, didn't notice it at first. $348 from LAX to Cancun. It arrives at Cancun at 1808. I don't know if I could make the bag drag to COZ the same day. Even so the whole day is wasted, would not pay to stay a night in Playa or arrive at 2100 in COZ. Also the return puts me back in LA at around 2300. Just saw a United flight at $524, puts me in COZ at about 1130 and then going back to LA arriving at about 1900. Much better times. If I was to go to Cancun, would like to arrive before noon, but that is not possible from LA without stops.
In any event thanks for looking Don.

I was just reading horror stories about IAH immigration lines post-sequester. The articles were from March and I thought that Congress allocated the funds and made the airports functional since then; otherwise, my 1:45 connection time might not be enough and I'll be spending the night in Houston :(

Our "leaders" did just that right before they went on recess. They never have a problem allocating monies to fund things that affect them directly.

Even worst case, 1:45 will most likely be enough time. With an hour or less, though, fuhggetaboudit.

Our "leaders" did just that right before they went on recess. They never have a problem allocating monies to fund things that affect them directly.

Even worst case, 1:45 will most likely be enough time. With an hour or less, though, fuhggetaboudit.
I should be OK since I have biz class on both legs. That means I'm off the plane before the 138 passengers behind me and with no heavy/rolling carry-on (just backpack and fannypack), I can jog to immigration control. Then I can head to the front of the security re-check line. Hopefully that will earn me enough time for a quickie at Pappadeaux, or if I'm not flying home from E, a burger at Ruby Tuesdays after emerging from customs. Flying makes me hungry!

I should be OK since I have biz class on both legs. That means I'm off the plane before the 138 passengers behind me and with no heavy/rolling carry-on (just backpack and fannypack), I can jog to immigration control. Then I can head to the front of the security re-check line. Hopefully that will earn me enough time for a quickie at Pappadeaux, or if I'm not flying home from E, a burger at Ruby Tuesdays after emerging from customs. Flying makes me hungry!
Pappadeaux is the best airport restaurant I have ever seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom