Bag "N Drag Cost from Cancun to Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just did it this past week. It was a breeze, and not a big deal at all. I think I ended up spending around $23 total each way.

All true, but I have done both and it's a lot more convenient to fly direct to Cozumel. The price difference has to be a lot more than what the extra transportation costs to get me to do the bag drag. In 30+ years of going to Cozumel for me it has happened twice. YMMV, of course.

All true, but I have done both and it's a lot more convenient to fly direct to Cozumel. The price difference has to be a lot more than what the extra transportation costs to get me to do the bag drag. In 30+ years of going to Cozumel for me it has happened twice. YMMV, of course.

Cheapest flight for us is $790 to Cozumel, $570 to Cancun, both on American. I'm actually glad I saw this thread. It wouldn't have occurred to me to go to Cancun. The high price of airfare is the reason we tend to cruise... find a port we can pay $200 for both of us to drive to, and pay $529 pp for 7 days on the boat. It's hard to justify the cost of a land vacation (though we're looking at Cozumel and Roatan for one next year).

I fly from Houston pretty regularly. 4th time this year coming up next Monday. United from Houston to Cancun then Maya Air to Cozumel doesn't save any money and prolongs the trip. I can see how you could save a little money taking the bus and ferry but even then less than 100 bucks. Just not worth it to me.

Direct flight Houson to Coz runs about 440 for coach roundtrip. Upgrade to business plus for a little more if you want additional legroom. Cost me around 50 roundtrip. Flight leaves @8:45 AM and you are in Coz before lunch and usually through customs by 12:30. I can see a problem if you are making a connecting flight in Houston from somewhere else though. My wife and I live about 3 hours from the airport so we usually drive down on Sunday night and stay near the airport. Leave our car parked at the hotel and take their shuttle to the terminal. Makes for a very easy trip.

Flying from LAX to cancun is just about the same as to cozumel.

From the east coast however I hate having to fly to Texas to get to Cozumel. Its like 1300 miles from BWI to CUN/CZM or 1300 miles to TX PLUS another 900 to CZM. Way longer in the air. I have done Delta through Atlanta which isn't so bad. Still it isn't as good as one flight direct from Baltimore to CUN. No screwing around with checking and unchecking the bags, no finding someplace to stick the Xtabetun I bought in duty free. AND: BWI has the Global Entry program now!!

I remember we went though all the stuff to get Global Entry and then we started flying through BWI about all the time. I asked a Customs guy about Global Entry at Baltimore and he laughed at me saying they were too small, but low and behold they had two terminals last time!

Anyway, for me it would have to be alot MORE expensive for me to give up traveling through Cancun. For me it is shorter travel time and less hassle, including the ferry and the private van. And I got to admit, I love the ferry ride. Nothing like drinking a beer on the weather deck listening to the band. It is at that point we 'arrive' if you know what I mean. So I am kind of the opposite, flying into Cozumel would have to be alot cheaper for me to put up with the hassle.

Cheapest flight for us is $790 to Cozumel, $570 to Cancun, both on American. I'm actually glad I saw this thread. It wouldn't have occurred to me to go to Cancun. The high price of airfare is the reason we tend to cruise... find a port we can pay $200 for both of us to drive to, and pay $529 pp for 7 days on the boat. It's hard to justify the cost of a land vacation (though we're looking at Cozumel and Roatan for one next year).
Well, some of my disdain for those horrible boats is personal preference, but what port can you drive to from OHIO for $200 RT? :confused: Well, if you only count gas costs maybe. Still a hard trip, especially on return, and you miss so much.

Flying from LAX to cancun is just about the same as to cozumel.
That depends. The cheapest I found in October was $547 and the fastest was over 8 hours each way. $348 for non-stop has a lot of appeal...

1.jpg2.jpg

Cvchief is right it really is a whole lot cheaper for me to fly from the east coast to Cancun then it is to Cozumel.I have learned to enjoy the bus and ferry ride and often spend a day or two in downtown Cancun to visit some of my favorite restaurants and friends.I live in Philly but usually make the drive to BWI to save even more.My vacation starts when my bags are checked and I am on the aircraft.

Well, some of my disdain for those horrible boats is personal preference, but what port can you drive to from OHIO for $200 RT? :confused: Well, if you only count gas costs maybe. Still a hard trip, especially on return, and you miss so much.

Iowa and Ohio are different places. We leave out of either New Orleans or Galveston, both are single day trips. At $4 a gallon, gas is around $180 RT to New Orleans, or $220 Galveston. That's for two people, airfare I'd have to pay per person, of course. My car is 13 years old, so I don't really worry about wear and tear anymore. We have to park, but we'd have to pay for parking at an airport too- so that's moot.

As long as you don't drink, and I don't, cruises are cheaper than most nice hotels. We like them and the dive ops seem more than happy to accommodate their schedules. I also like that I'm going to be able to dive Roatan and Cozumel in one vacation, maybe Costa Maya- we still haven't decided. And have a day of doing something else in Belize.

Reactions: Foo
Iowa and Ohio are different places. We leave out of either New Orleans or Galveston, both are single day trips. At $4 a gallon, gas is around $180 RT to New Orleans, or $220 Galveston. That's for two people, airfare I'd have to pay per person, of course. My car is 13 years old, so I don't really worry about wear and tear anymore. We have to park, but we'd have to pay for parking at an airport too- so that's moot.

As long as you don't drink, and I don't, cruises are cheaper than most nice hotels. We like them and the dive ops seem more than happy to accommodate their schedules. I also like that I'm going to be able to dive Roatan and Cozumel in one vacation, maybe Costa Maya- we still haven't decided. And have a day of doing something else in Belize.
Sorry, about the state mistake. Brave man to take a 13 yo car on a big trip. Still, you do miss so much of the places you visit, yet - you get a taste. Good way to select the places you want to really visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom