Bag "N Drag Cost from Cancun to Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good way to select the places you want to really visit.

Yep! Our first trip to Cozumel was so amazing (snorkeling) we've decided to go back after learning to dive.
I imagine this dive trip might make us want to go back, or to Roatan... but it's just that darn airfare... Cancun seems like a viable option, and with all the transportation switching, it will be like going on the Amazing Race.

If SWA starts flying to Cancun, I will start doing the bag drag myself......will just add in extra days between coming and going to make up for it. I hope it happens soon!

That depends. The cheapest I found in October was $547 and the fastest was over 8 hours each way. $348 for non-stop has a lot of appeal...
That really depends on the person. Non-stop helps ensure the luggage gets there with you, but most luggage gets there OK anyway. And you avoid the risk of missing a connecting flight. However, if I'm flying in coach, I prefer the stop. Three hours at a time is the most I want to sit on a crowded flight with my spine angled into the aisle because my shoulders are wider than the seat - it's healthier to get out and stretch and bit and the long walk between terminals at Houston is perfect for that. It's also a nice stop for food and drink. IAH has much better choices than whatever the airline might serve. In first-class I'd probably prefer the non-stop, but who wants to fly first-class and then have to take a bus and ferry the rest of the way?

On my LAX-COZ flight, I have a 1.5 hr layover on the way there, 2.5 hr on the way back (to allow time to clear customs/immigration and have dinner at Pappadeaux's). How long does it take to get to PDC and take the ferry over? I bet it's longer than 1.5 hrs, probably longer than 2.5 hrs until one lucks out with the timing.

That really depends on the person. Non-stop helps ensure the luggage gets there with you, but most luggage gets there OK anyway. And you avoid the risk of missing a connecting flight. However, if I'm flying in coach, I prefer the stop. Three hours at a time is the most I want to sit on a crowded flight with my spine angled into the aisle because my shoulders are wider than the seat - it's healthier to get out and stretch and bit and the long walk between terminals at Houston is perfect for that. It's also a nice stop for food and drink. IAH has much better choices than whatever the airline might serve. In first-class I'd probably prefer the non-stop, but who wants to fly first-class and then have to take a bus and ferry the rest of the way?

On my LAX-COZ flight, I have a 1.5 hr layover on the way there, 2.5 hr on the way back (to allow time to clear customs/immigration and have dinner at Pappadeaux's). How long does it take to get to PDC and take the ferry over? I bet it's longer than 1.5 hrs, probably longer than 2.5 hrs until one lucks out with the timing.
The pics were too small - unless you click them, but the LAX-CUN flight was 4.5 hours non-stop, return an hour longer flying into winds. That's a long flight to me too, but just one flight for $400 a couple less! Taxi for $60, ferry for $30, arrive in Coz before the other plan lands.

My plane landed in Cancun at 10:15 am. I was in Cozumel and checked into my hotel and in the water at 1:15 pm. Customs, Immigration, bus and ferry, all in about three hours. My flights in would have had me in Cozumel at 12:30 p.m. So maybe, maybe, I would have gotten through without a problem and been in the water at the same time.

I actually missed the first bus I could have taken, it was pulling away as I got there. But another one was there in 20 minutes. It all depends on time and cost, but it worked out very well in my case.

The pics were too small - unless you click them, but the LAX-CUN flight was 4.5 hours non-stop, return an hour longer flying into winds. That's a long flight to me too, but just one flight for $400 a couple less! Taxi for $60, ferry for $30, arrive in Coz before the other plan lands.
Well, the price sure is right. Were I not using United air miles, I guess I'd consider it.

Still, by the time one gets to Cozumel on that flight, it's after 8 pm, the day is lost. I'm happy with my 5:15 am flight that gets me to Coz at 2:15 pm. I'll be at my hotel, unpacked, and have dive gear ready for the next morning well before happy hour begins. Sunset, dinner, and the Delta passengers will be just checking in.

On the way back, I'll have to check out of my hotel around noon anyhow, so my 3:08 pm departure means I just taxi to the airport, get a drink at Margaritaville, and check in with time left over for the Grab N Go. With the Delta flight, I'd have to reverse the taxi to ferry to taxi routine and time it get to the airport around 5:30 for check in. That means I get a couple extra hours in Coz or PDC, but my flight arrives in LAX at 8:46 pm versus the Delta arrival at 10:50 pm, over 3 hours earlier. Also, I've already cleared customs/immigration in IAH, whereas the Delta passengers have to spend another indeterminate time going through that rigamarole. By the time one gets out of the terminal, it's after midnight, 3 a.m. Cozumel time. At that point, I have to take a shuttle (at least an hour) or drive home (45 min). No thank you!

I'm comparing apples to oranges since my flight is in June, not October. But there are other variables at work.

My plane landed in Cancun at 10:15 am. I was in Cozumel and checked into my hotel and in the water at 1:15 pm. Customs, Immigration, bus and ferry, all in about three hours. My flights in would have had me in Cozumel at 12:30 p.m. So maybe, maybe, I would have gotten through without a problem and been in the water at the same time.

I actually missed the first bus I could have taken, it was pulling away as I got there. But another one was there in 20 minutes. It all depends on time and cost, but it worked out very well in my case.
I've heard horror stories about Cancun Immigration lines. Your luck may well vary...

Well, the price sure is right. Were I not using United air miles, I guess I'd consider it.

Still, by the time one gets to Cozumel on that flight, it's after 8 pm, the day is lost. I'm happy with my 5:15 am flight that gets me to Coz at 2:15 pm. I'll be at my hotel, unpacked, and have dive gear ready for the next morning well before happy hour begins. Sunset, dinner, and the Delta passengers will be just checking in.

On the way back, I'll have to check out of my hotel around noon anyhow, so my 3:08 pm departure means I just taxi to the airport, get a drink at Margaritaville, and check in with time left over for the Grab N Go. With the Delta flight, I'd have to reverse the taxi to ferry to taxi routine and time it get to the airport around 5:30 for check in. That means I get a couple extra hours in Coz or PDC, but my flight arrives in LAX at 8:46 pm versus the Delta arrival at 10:50 pm, over 3 hours earlier. Also, I've already cleared customs/immigration in IAH, whereas the Delta passengers have to spend another indeterminate time going through that rigamarole. By the time one gets out of the terminal, it's after midnight, 3 a.m. Cozumel time. At that point, I have to take a shuttle (at least an hour) or drive home (45 min). No thank you!

I'm comparing apples to oranges since my flight is in June, not October. But there are other variables at work.
Yeah, it would be $60/couple taxi plus $30 for 2 ferry each way. Arriving CUN at 6pm would put you into Coz kinda late, true - and having to wait for 7pm departure might be inconvenient. Arriving LAX at 11pm is not biggie but 6pm would be better, yeah. This & that, but my post was in reply to...
Flying from LAX to cancun is just about the same as to cozumel.

I've heard horror stories about Cancun Immigration lines. Your luck may well vary..

Cancun Immigration lines have nothing on DFW when two or more planes come in to Terminal D at the same time.....

Sent from my Nexus 7

I've heard horror stories about Cancun Immigration lines. Your luck may well vary...
I was just reading horror stories about IAH immigration lines post-sequester. The articles were from March and I thought that Congress allocated the funds and made the airports functional since then; otherwise, my 1:45 connection time might not be enough and I'll be spending the night in Houston :(

Back
Top Bottom