Backup Regulator Necklace Hose Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the SCUBAPRO stock hose length and route it under my right arm up to my necklace.
Nothing fancy.
Turret DOWN.

Left post of backmounted doubles doubles is one that could when donated.
I don't know how you configure doubles, but generally speaking the right post has the regulator with the long hose, and that is donated. The left post has a the short hose regulator with a bungee necklace. That stays put.

I bet you meant to say the right post, but that can't 'spin' either because it generally has the LP inflator hose attached to the end port, and any spinning is going to twist that hose. It can move around a few degrees I suppose, but there's no real benefit that I can think of.

In sidemount, in a wetsuit, generally the right tank has the long hose and nothing else in the LP ports. The long hose is generally routed so that the hose goes directly down from the regulator to the tank, that keeps it nice and neat in normal use. During an air share, it's a good idea to flip the hose up once the receiving diver is breathing off the donated regulator. That tends to keep the hose routing clear of the tank valve. So in that specific case the diver spins the turret a half turn. At least that's how I was taught.

It is often stated that braided hoses tend to take a set. Well, yes they do, but compared to conventional rubber hoses, you be the judge:

The braided is on the outside and the rubber is on the inside. But, I will say, that while braided hoses are more limp, they do seem to come with a curve in them and of course it also seems that the hose torques down exactly where that set is fighting against me! But, rubber hoses come with a curl in them also. Not sure there is a winner on this attribute either way.

James

But doesn’t the left stage hose go around neck feed from right side, just like long hose?
If you like, and if you like that you can do the same when breathing off your own octopus.

Another advantage is that when donated and swimming horizontally a diver to the left gets much more hose and no bends.

On the braided hoses arguments: I have a 7ft braided primary when I use a twinset. It has failed to provide gas and all my drysuit seals are good. It has worn away some paint on my torch battery. As for sets I just had to give up with using a 5ft and go to a 40inch one for my bailout as it would never sit properly on the cylinder. If I rummage in the cupboard I have a similar braided 5ft hose I might try.

On the backup hose length question: I have a super short (22inch I think) hose that I tried and hated. I lend it to people who expect to find useful information on forums so as to save them wasting money. I use a regular 36 ish inch hose for the backup and I can turn my head to the left without expecting to lose the regulator.

On the fixed elbows: I find that these result in the regulator being twisted in my mouth and are quite uncomfortable. If the hose is a reasonable length in the first place these are not required. I took one off a student’s set this week wher some unscrupulous shop had sold her a top of the range set but didn’t seem to be able to resist adding a pointless elbow to a regular length hose. Her mouthpiece had to be rotated back into place too.

If my goal in the next year is to do some specialty classes towards a DM, do you guys think I should just stick to the standard OW hose setup for now and then try alternatives later?

Can someone speak to the advantage of the down facing LP port on some turret regulators? Is it because a long under arm primary regulator hose would naturally hug the right side of the body more?

Can someone speak to the advantage of the down facing LP port on some turret regulators? Is it because a long under arm primary regulator hose would naturally hug the right side of the body more?

The fifth port (aka Mark V, 10, 20, 25 and similar piston first stages and the new Mark 19 diaphragm) is generally used for doubles rigs in a technical (Hog) configuration. For singles it has no general use. Though I have seen people point the turret to the right and my thought is whatever, in addition to the up or down controversy let us not also have left or right :wink:! Not all regs have a fifth port, examples such as the axial arrangement on a Conshelf or Titan or the diamond (?) shape of the Legend, Core and many others.

As to your other question, aside from the mix of opinions surrounding 84 inch hoses and braided, you have already stepped into the deeper water, just go ahead with the Hog configuration you seemed to be drifting to. But do not try to spilt the fence, it leads to splinters and unhappiness. One or the other, pick a a side. Either way you can still work to a minimal and streamlined rigs.

James

Can someone speak to the advantage of the down facing LP port on some turret regulators?
{my 2 cents} I use it for my drysuit inflator hose to stay tight to my body and out of the way.

The fifth port (aka Mark V, 10, 20, 25 and similar piston first stages and the new Mark 19 diaphragm) is generally used for doubles rigs in a technical (Hog) configuration. For singles it has no general use. Though I have seen people point the turret to the right and my thought is whatever, in addition to the up or down controversy let us not also have left or right :wink:! Not all regs have a fifth port, examples such as the axial arrangement on a Conshelf or Titan or the diamond (?) shape of the Legend, Core and many others.

As to your other question, aside from the mix of opinions surrounding 84 inch hoses and braided, you have already stepped into the deeper water, just go ahead with the Hog configuration you seemed to be drifting to. But do not try to spilt the fence, it leads to splinters and unhappiness. One or the other, pick a a side. Either way you can still work to a minimal and streamlined rigs.

James
Roger that. So for single tank, no big advantage. I have seen some comments that in sidemount, that 5th port is beneficial. I have no experience with that but if I'm interested in learning sidemount diving in the next couple years, would it be worth getting such a 1st stage with that in mind? Or do people typically have a dedicated set of gear for that independent of their simple single tank kit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom