Backup Regulator Necklace Hose Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wanted to take a moment to personally thank everyone for taking the time to share their thoughts and advice to a newbie and knowledge sponge :)

After reviewing all the inputs here, this is what I've decided to do...

Since this is my first full kit of personally owned equipment, I'd like to develop meaningful muscle memory for a variety of diving options in the future. So, I'm going to pair up my new BP/W with a 7' primary hose and a 22" backup hose.

I will be returning the 7' flex hose and 110 degree elbow connector I ordered on advice from the Jims and get a 7' standard rubber hose with no elbow connector. This should give me one less failure point and minimize any irritation on the back of my neck and wear and tear on seals if I start drysuit diving.

Based on advice from loosenit2, I am ordering one of the Halcyon long hose retainer sticks to help with long hose routing on my right hip. Yes, I can slip it through the waist webbing and it's one more "device" but down the road, I may have a device there that I want to use for hose routing so I see value in a mock device that will simulate that now and the muscle memory is there.

I'm going to keep the flex hoses for my backup necklace regulator and LP inflator for added flexibility, weight savings for travel and because these do not pose the same kink hazard potential as the primary long hose. Additionally, neither would be an irritant on the back of my neck.

I'm getting one of the DGX SPGs with a 30" flex hose to use with my AI watch computer, as DRK5036 recommended in the event of a transmitter failure. If the whole computer dies, end the dive as many stated.

Because the consensus seems to be for single tank diving, a 1st stage turret and 5th LP port isn't much value added, I'm going to keep my Scubapro MK17 regulator that has neither.

I'm going to take Marie's advice and get a 6" HP flex hose for my AI transmitter, and secure it to the primary regulator long hose to keep things neat and from flopping around, and minimize the chance some boat hand grabs and breaks my transmitter. Probably going to use something like this to hold the transmitter stub and the long hose together:

For bolt snaps, I got a smaller 3" for clipping off the primary regulator to my right shoulder D-ring and a 4.7" XL eye bolt snap for clipping off the SPG and allowing for gloves.

Thanks again,
Rob

I can't remember if the SPG length has come up; my apologies for the repetition if it has. A 30" SPG might be a bit too long. At 6'2", a 30" bows too much for my taste, and I run my tank high enough to reach the valve. I've seen 26" often recommended for singles, but your vision may also influence that.

Roger that. So for single tank, no big advantage. I have seen some comments that in sidemount, that 5th port is beneficial. I have no experience with that but if I'm interested in learning sidemount diving in the next couple years, would it be worth getting such a 1st stage with that in mind? Or do people typically have a dedicated set of gear for that independent of their simple single tank kit?

You have the SP Mark 17 which is a superb first stage. You have enough on your plate for now to also worry over side mount and cave. The equipment you have is more than a good start and in due course if you get to wanting to do side mount you will by then know more about what you need. You will be looking at stage rigs and a dedicated reg set for twins and on and on. Yeah, see what you have gone and done! It never ends as I sit here figuring my next order of stuff my wife thinks I do not need! I would not be ordering it if I did not need it :wink:.

I am almost 5'11" if I stretch :wink: and that is a 30 inch hose on my spg, a 40 inch on my Jetstream primary and 22 inch on my secondary (photos by L. Heros):

James

I can't remember if the SPG length has come up; my apologies for the repetition if it has. A 30" SPG might be a bit too long. At 6'2", a 30" bows too much for my taste, and I run my tank high enough to reach the valve. I've seen 26" often recommended for singles, but your vision may also influence that.
Thanks, I'll throw a hose on that side that's at least 30" and see where it settles on my hip before I order the actual hose. It's a balance between being streamlined and readability. Luckily, in this case, I'll only check it as a sanity check of my computer or if the transmitter dies. In other words, it doesn't have to be ideal since I won't be looking at it repeatedly throughout the dives.

I'm shorter than you at 5'8" but my torso is probably similar to someone who's 5'10". My neck is shorter so I'd likely carry my tank lower than you to keep my head from hitting in the back too.

Maybe a 26" hose would be best in my case with a single tank.

If my goal in the next year is to do some specialty classes towards a DM, do you guys think I should just stick to the standard OW hose setup for now and then try alternatives later?

Talk to your instructor and find out what he wants. You have to decide whether its a problem for you between configurations, and act accordingly

Thanks, I'll throw a hose on that side that's at least 30" and see where it settles on my hip before I order the actual hose. It's a balance between being streamlined and readability. Luckily, in this case, I'll only check it as a sanity check of my computer or if the transmitter dies. In other words, it doesn't have to be ideal since I won't be looking at it repeatedly throughout the dives.

I'm shorter than you at 5'8" but my torso is probably similar to someone who's 5'10". My neck is shorter so I'd likely carry my tank lower than you to keep my head from hitting in the back too.

Maybe a 26" hose would be best in my case with a single tank.
I think a 26” hose would be better for the SPG. I use a 24” hose, it’s rather short but very streamlined given I’m only 5’7”.

Roger that. So for single tank, no big advantage. I have seen some comments that in sidemount, that 5th port is beneficial. I have no experience with that but if I'm interested in learning sidemount diving in the next couple years, would it be worth getting such a 1st stage with that in mind? Or do people typically have a dedicated set of gear for that independent of their simple single tank kit?
There is an advantage for single tank with a 5th port. The long hose comes down out of it and routes cleaner. If you decide to go sidemount you will have a separate set of regs and having a bottom port simplifies things greatly. I see many people running turreted regs with the 5th port upside down. The turret should point down and the environmental seal should be up.

I have separate regs for single warm water, single cold water with a dry suit,. 2 sets of sidemount regs and 3 deco regs. With multiple reg sets, having them all the same brand saves on service issues. Being able to service them all myself saves hundreds of dollars every year.

If you decide to go the DM route, I will say that I have never required an assistant to use anything other than what they are used to diving in. Jacket, back inflate, BPW, or even sidemount in open water. I take enough time with classes to use different gear configurations as teaching aids to show people they have options. I've never had a student be confused by this. Take the time to explain the differences and there is no issue.
Now, in a cookie cutter rush to teach them to barely survive 2 or 3 day course, it could be a problem. Because in these, skills and education training is replaced by greed based training. I've also never required an assistant to use a certain brand because that has nothing to do with training. That's turning them into an uncompensated bill board.

If you wear a backup Regulator on a necklace, what's your preference on hose routing, length, rubber or flex hose etc? This is with the assumption you would donate your primary that's on a longer hose.
How do you keep it from free flowing, when hanging from your neck? Tried this weekend, and didn’t do so well. Thanks
If you wear a backup Regulator on a necklace, what's your preference on hose routing, length, rubber or flex hose etc? This is with the assumption you would donate your primary that's on a longer hose.

How do you keep it from free flowing, when hanging from your neck? Tried this weekend, and didn’t do so well. Thanks
If you have the lever and knob for adjustment you tune it so that it’s less likely to free flow when you jump.

I assumed yours free flowed during a giant stride when hitting the water?

How do you keep it from free flowing, when hanging from your neck?
Point the mouthpiece down. You can also press it against your chest with the arm you use to hold the mask & primary reg during a stride entry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom