Back up analog compass?

If you have a good digital compass on your computer, do you take a back up analog compass too?

• No. I have my dive buddy's compass as a back up

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes. I take an analog compass under water as my primary compass, the digital one is back up

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Yes. The analog one is the back up

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No. I trust the digital compass. No back up needed

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since my garmin mk2s i haven't used my analogue anymore. The Compass works great. But then again, i have only done relatively easy dives with the garmin. If i would go to more complex sites or one which requires more navigation i would bring my analogue as a back up. But the Compass with the green marker works really well. In a quick glance you can see if you are still on the good general course.

My primary compass is a searover kayak compass on the scooter. It is big, easy to read, and reads in the direction I am traveling. If I don't take that, standard wrist compass. Last chance is the compass in the NERD.

I really don't like the NERD compass. It points where I have my head aimed. I often don't swim directly where I am looking. If I am passing a wall, I have my head turned looking at the wall. That is where the DPV compass is great. What direction am I going? The compass is going that direction and I am just along for the ride. My mind processes a full compass much better than a digital interpretation of a compass.

The poll didn't really have a good answer for me as I do redundant computers thus redundant compassi.

However, a whisky compass is more "user friendly" than the Perdex or any other I've tried (Teric, Suunto and I think Oceanic. I've not gotten the DG to work underwater yet. No good sucky vacuum supply.

OMMOHY

I'm having trust issues with my teric, and thinking of buying an analog compass. Will wearing them next to each other significantly affect heading/ accuracy.
I am fairly new to navigating featureless sandy bottom. Had a lot of shifting surge/current that I think was actually turning me. I ended up off course significantly in spite of locking a heading. I feel like the teric is either too sensitive or easily affected by outside influences.

This was, no kidding, my compass (and mount system) for many years:

D37ADF10-FD32-4EC2-A43D-4895AEE82841.jpeg

I believe that we overthink a lot of stuff.

I'm having trust issues with my teric, and thinking of buying an analog compass. Will wearing them next to each other significantly affect heading/ accuracy.
It could create interference, or it could not. Only way to know is try it out. Personally I wear my 2 computers on different wrists.

I am fairly new to navigating featureless sandy bottom. Had a lot of shifting surge/current that I think was actually turning me. I ended up off course significantly in spite of locking a heading. I feel like the teric is either too sensitive or easily affected by outside influences.
Opposite wrist would probably be better.

There’s another reason you could have drifted off course. You mentioned shifting currents. Depending on their strength, they can have a significant impact on overall trajectory. In other words, your travel direction may not be the same as the direction you are pointing. Unless there is a natural landmark that can help your orientation, you may not realize how far you ar being blown off course.

Due to trust issues, you should wear them on different arms. Otherwise, you'll second-guess them both! 😆

I remember watching someone trying to do a navigation loop. With a wrist mounted compass they would follow a heading. When they started drifting, a small adjustment to the wrist was made. Compass was pointing in the right direction, they were diving at nearly 40° deviation to the compass by the time they gave up.

To an extent I have the same issue with the compass in the NERD. I don't have my head locked onto a straight ahead bearing most of the time. I have it turned off to the side. Compass is telling me where my head is turned, not the direction of swimming.

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom