Back up analog compass?

If you have a good digital compass on your computer, do you take a back up analog compass too?

• No. I have my dive buddy's compass as a back up

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes. I take an analog compass under water as my primary compass, the digital one is back up

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Yes. The analog one is the back up

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No. I trust the digital compass. No back up needed

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I only have an analog compass.
Never was good using an analog compass. During navigation exercises my instructor could hear my curse and grunt through my 2nd stage.

Need another option, I dive with two Teric’s so I have another digital compass all of the time, I have the reading in ° always showing
B469BCCF-C0D2-44BF-859B-DBED578331D0.jpeg

Dive using the analog as the main compass, just what Im used to using. digital compass is the back up although do use it on occasions as the primary just to be used to it should the need arise.

Need another option, I dive with two Teric’s so I have another digital compass all of the time, I have the reading in ° always showing
View attachment 763718
This is a perfect example of why I don't use digital compasses for navigation. You are holding the computer almost vertical. What direction is 54 degrees? Does it matter with a digital compass if it's not flat? If not, is the direction indicated straight through the back of the computer (through your wrist)? If it has to be flat, where on the computer face is the indicated direction? Straight out the top?

I think there are ways that a digital compass could be much more useful, but at least shearwaters implementation of it focuses on "easy" over "function". Does Garmin's digital compass work the same way? I would think theirs would be better since they have been in that game for WAY longer, but I've never seen what it looks like.

They could have a dedicated compass page that included a lubber line right up the middle. They could change the direction reading to an error of some sort if it isn't flat (again, if it needs to be), or isn't calibrated. They could make the whole display rotate if you are in compass mode, basically making the whole screen a lubber line. They could add a physical rotating bezel to the outside, at least on the teric. That would also make it look like an old school dive watch. Even a little tick mark on the top to indicate where the reading is taken would be helpful.

The Teric doesn't need to be flat to use the compass. The line line is straight out of the top. Not sure about others.

This is a perfect example of why I don't use digital compasses for navigation. You are holding the computer almost vertical. What direction is 54 degrees? Does it matter with a digital compass if it's not flat? If not, is the direction indicated straight through the back of the computer (through your wrist)? If it has to be flat, where on the computer face is the indicated direction? Straight out the top?

I think there are ways that a digital compass could be much more useful, but at least shearwaters implementation of it focuses on "easy" over "function". Does Garmin's digital compass work the same way? I would think theirs would be better since they have been in that game for WAY longer, but I've never seen what it looks like.

They could have a dedicated compass page that included a lubber line right up the middle. They could change the direction reading to an error of some sort if it isn't flat (again, if it needs to be), or isn't calibrated. They could make the whole display rotate if you are in compass mode, basically making the whole screen a lubber line. They could add a physical rotating bezel to the outside, at least on the teric. That would also make it look like an old school dive watch. Even a little tick mark on the top to indicate where the reading is taken would be helpful.
It works exactly as the compass you use, 54° is the same no matter what you use, just like the analog but more precise.

Most digital compasses have tilt adjustments that work great so they don't have to be flat at all. Heading is wherever the computer is pointing to. I love my Shearwater (primary DC) and G1 (backup DC) compasses and don't ever want to go back to an analog one which I've always struggled with. YMMV.

I’ve seen divers decide that their compass ‘was wrong”.

Bad idea.
i recently put a Go Pro-type camera on my scooter, adding it to the handle-mounted console next to a bottom timer and compass. On the first dive with the camera, I quickly realized the compass was acting funky and I switched to my wrist compass. It turned out it was too close to the camera, which had a magnetic field. I am glad I knew enough to recognize the compass was wrong.

I joked with my buddy that the compass probably needed a new battery LOL.

I reorganized the console so that the bottom timer is now closest to the camera. No more magnetic interference.

Garmin's implementation looks more like the implementation on the Shearwater Perdix than it does on the Teric. It's pretty easy to use. From a look perspective, I would describe it as what it would look like looking through the side window on an analog compass. You see a band with the current heading marked by an arrow. The band contains the cardinal directions with the 1/2 directions also marked. When I am facing south, I see 180 degrees displayed above, S at the pointer. SE and SW are also visible on the "dial."

Pressing a button marks the heading with a green pointer. Pressing the same button again gives you options to reset the heading, set a reciprocal heading, set 90 right heading, set 90 left heading, and clear the heading.

While my Garmin is my backup computer, I use the compass as my primary. Using the Perdix compass temporarily removes other information I want (Surf GF, Tank Pressure, etc.) to have displayed. Since the Garmin is my backup computer, I can use the compass screen on that and have all the information I want on the Perdix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom