Back up analog compass?

If you have a good digital compass on your computer, do you take a back up analog compass too?

• No. I have my dive buddy's compass as a back up

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes. I take an analog compass under water as my primary compass, the digital one is back up

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Yes. The analog one is the back up

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No. I trust the digital compass. No back up needed

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheizz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm just curious. I suppose it may depend on the kind of diving I do. If navigation is a key part of the dive, I will bring a backup compass. On your regular Sunday morning open water dive in a spot I know like the back of my hand, I trust the digital one on my computer. And I always have a buddy, if need be.

In my experience with digital compasses (all shearwater), they are decent for "go east to get back to shore" type navigation, assuming you remember to calibrate it. But an actual compass with a rotating bezel has more tools than just a north seeking needle.

I reckon if you need to know where to go then you need more than just a compass, but the worst thing bad navigation will do for me is give me a long surface swim. I rarely use a compass (or even carry one) as the terrain is normally sufficient for navigating with my diving. Scallop diving on a flat Sandy bed is when it really comes in handy for me.

If you want a backup then a $10 water filled compass works fine (that’s what I use). I got some funny looks when I pulled it out for my aow, but I passed the test with it. After that the instructor started believing me that it works.

I've dived a wrist mounted analog compass forever, it is very quick and easy for me to use. I don't use the digital compass on my Teric much, but do like the floating north pointer. Much of my diving is drift in SE FL and all I really need is general direction.

I’ve seen divers decide that their compass ‘was wrong”.

Bad idea.

I have always thought that a digital compass was an interesting novelty and really little else -- even though I have a couple of "good" ones on various computers.

I generally also carry an analogue version, having a general distrust of electronics repeatedly dunked in seawater . . .

Back
Top Bottom