Back up analog compass?

If you have a good digital compass on your computer, do you take a back up analog compass too?

• No. I have my dive buddy's compass as a back up

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Yes. I take an analog compass under water as my primary compass, the digital one is back up

Votes: 28 53.8%
  • Yes. The analog one is the back up

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • No. I trust the digital compass. No back up needed

Votes: 19 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol, it could work... if you have good trim. 😛

However, a whisky compass is more "user friendly" than the Perdex
The Perdix compass tends to wander a lot. On a change of heading it seems like it takes too long to settle on the new heading. I would have thought there would be some sort of electronic damping. A digital compass should be more stable than a whiskey compass. For that reason, I carry a whiskey compass on a retractor. The Perdix compass is a backup.

Another issue I have with the Perdix compass is that it has to be held square in front of you and in order for that to happen without removing it from my wrist it has to be so close to my face I can't see it without reading glasses.

Your poll is missing an option.

My job has me outdoors navigating overland day and night in austere conditions VERY regularly. Analog compass is ALWAYS your primary if you’re in the deep dark woods, and you ought to be carrying a back up analog compass too. Your digital compass is just a bonus.

You can declinate an analog compass to correct for magnetic deviation in a couple seconds, they literally cannot run out of batteries, still work if they get flooded, and if you get a good one with tritium inlays you don’t even have to charge it w a light source. It will work until you physically destroy it.

Under water: analog primary, analog backup

Nerd primary— it’s so easy to use!
Petrel backup on right wrist
Perdix second backup on left wrist

Back
Top Bottom