August 4th Meet, Greet, and Shore Dive Dania Beach, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavecliff:
Just an observation, on the 'front page' of this thread the departure time for Lady Go Diver is listed as 6pm, show time would be 5:30pm. This explains a lot.

Cliff
Bite me :dork2:

My name is Kim Porter and I do dive groups ... I would like to share my reports from this weekends event.
Kim P
Good morning all my friends and thanks you for making this event such fun.

Friday night we had 9 diver show up for our night dive is was great fun and we are discovering some great new divers . The dive itself was a lot of fun sleeping fish are so cool and we (showboat) got some great pictures. (post em Mr Dan)

I had a few issues since my tank was empty even though I had dropped it of at Dixie Divers the day before to have it filled but it was empty with tape on it, once again Dan saved the day by loaning me a tanks. Thanks Dan When I returned to the Dixie Divers to find out why the tank had tape on it but it was not filled the shop employee looked up at me and said “You mean you did not check your tank before you left the shop?” I then stated that this was a air fill and no other dive shop require you to check air only Nitrox and it was taped that mean it has been filled …. He did not say another word took my tank and filled it and said HERE, no I am sorry we messed up your dive or my mistake it wont happen again … nothing just HERE so I took my tank and left to go to Saturday morning’s event.

Saturday morning’s event was amazing we had 25+ divers show up and bring food dive and spend the whole morning with great company. Bonus one of our new members has a wife who cooks mmmm she brought homemade chilly pie and homemade brownies OMG we had sooooo much food and divers we broke into groups and had a ball.

Saturday nights advanced boat dive:
What a mess, the story goes like this. I had all of my divers call and book their spot on the boat and tell them they where with Kim Porter’s group. I informed the dive shop on several occasions that these divers are from online and I may not personally know them so PLEASE ask certification level and I told them they would all say “Kim Porter’s group” .

Every diver that called and booked was quoted 6 shoe 6:30 go unless they need tanks then come to the shop before the dive to pick them up and they would have to deliver them back to the shop after the dive. Since I needed to collect money to pay all at once some of my divers had not paid so I showed up at 5:15 to meet them collect $$ and then sent them over to the boat, my tanks was getting filled for the dive as well and I rented a tank also.

Cliff and I then looked at the manifest … Dixie divers did not make notes on who was in Kim Porter’s group even though we all had stated “Kim Porter’s group”

At 6 we (cliff and I) decided to go ahead and pay … this is was all the divers that where going to show … we had 10. While cliff went in the back room with the owner to take care of the money transaction I checked to see if my tank was ready. The large man who fills the tanks said it is going to take 45 minutes … I was like the boat goes at 6:30 and I have had this tank here for you since 5:15, I asked do think the boat will leave me? He said yes and smiled so I was like ok he just messing with me and went ahead and analyzed the rental Nitrox tank

At 6:15 my phone rings and it is Showboat aka Dan on the boat calling me to tell my the boat is leaving the dock … with Dan on the phone I went into the shop said the boat is leaving it is not 6:30 please call and tell them to wait …. The Owner looked at me and just shrugged his shoulders like …. So.

Now I am mad and I asked Dan to put the captain (NICK PALMER) on the phone he refused to take it and said we are not turning around because we will miss the draw bridge that only opens every 30 minutes.

Now my people on the boat are getting upset tell the captain and they want him to turn around or they will not dive… he then told them “SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN” ….

By this time every on of my group is calling me and the shop. No results, so in the state of mind I was in (pissed) I walked into the dive shop right into the back room and took all the money right out of Cliffs hand … looked straight at the owner and said if you do not turn the boat around you will not get paid and walked out of the store with the money.

My people on the boat are now upset and saying if you won’t take the phone the call you shop on the marien radio and see that what we are telling you is correct.

Captain Nick Palmer said “We do not have a marine radio aboard” Now my guest are getting worried what if something happens … not radio omg.

By this time Pavan (owner) is trying to reach the captain he would not answer so the shop had me call one of my friends on the boat and try to give the so called captain the phone telling him it was the shop owner.

Captain Nick Palmer said “What part of no do you not understand? Shut the **#* up and sit back down”

Ok so the boat belongs to Dixie Diver and they hire a captain who must now like to make $$ cause I still have it.

After about 15 minutes I calmed down and brought my rental tank back in for a refund on my CC at that time the fat man who fills the tanks is talking to another diver in the store and said loudly yes most divers a a bit nuts like that one over there and pointed at me and like that on is crazy.

This hurt my feeling I had worked so hard on this event and it brought tears to my eyes Pavan is still fiddling around with my refund on my card and doing something else and said I really need my card back because I did not want to cry in a store that is ok with insulting a customer in that manor … finally he finished I left to go see if the boat was at port

I was at the dock at 6:25 no boat so I went back to the store and talked to cliff outside and said here is the money … I do not want to go back inside to be insulted so would you please go pay for the divers on the boat only … it’s was only fair. Cliff went to the front door and it was locked … he gave the money sign to Pavan and Pavan said NO LEAVE …. So we left and Cliff went back later to pay. Pavan discounted the divers $5

As it turns out Lady go diver did not make the draw bridge anyway and sat there for 30 minutes until it opened again … instead of turning around and coming back he sat for the 30 minutes and waited for the draw bridge to open and went out.

Cliff went and paid and asked what he was going to do to make it right for me Pavan said absolutely nothing will I do for her.
This dive shop has my phone number and I have yet to hear one word from them ???

Sunday afternoon dive we had 10 divers show up and we dove the Jack very nice dive and we had a great time.
Until next Time
Kim P
Over and out
I had a wonderful weekend reguardless ... thanks my friends :)
BTW I purchased ALL my lobster gear today ... I'll bet you can guess who did not get my $$$

Thank you to everyone that was so hospitable to me this past weekend, especially Kim and Cliff. I had an awesome time diving and loved meeting everyone of you. Christian took some funny pictures of all of us at the Condo. I have to try to post them, for sure. Thanks again and hope to dive with you all again soon. Cheers! :)

Hey guys... it was nice to meet everyone and put a face with a name or screen name. Sorry to hear about the fiasco on Saturday night. Glad I didn't go otherwise you all would have been privy to the wrath of Theresa... not a pretty sight. :shakehead

Patrick and Kim it was good diving with you guys also... until next time.

Looking forward to many more dive trips with you guys. :D

tltracy:
Hey guys... it was nice to meet everyone and put a face with a name or screen name. Sorry to hear about the fiasco on Saturday night. Glad I didn't go otherwise you all would have been privy to the wrath of Theresa... not a pretty sight. :shakehead

Patrick and Kim it was good diving with you guys also... until next time.

Looking forward to many more dive trips with you guys. :D

It was a blast diving with you girls! You'll have to send me the pictures of the Spadefish.

This is my first dive report. I know Kim already posted her dive report.
I wanted to post mine up as well as it gives a newbie perspective on
diving there. :)

Saturday Morning -
We ended up making the trek about noon out to the water. There were a
good 25 divers in our group. So many, we ended up split into two groups.
The walk out to the beach wasn't so bad, maybe a hundred yards or so. My
first reaction being underwater was that it was soooooooo clear. It was
probably close to 40' of viz. The sediment on the bottom seemed to
settle fairly quickly so kicking up silt was not so much of an issue.
The buddy I was teamed up with only had an AL80 to my Steel 108(turned
out it was a 108 and not a 95..lol). As a result, he ran out of air
before I did. I also learned not to rent Steel tanks for shore
dives...lol As a result of my buddy running out of air, we were forced
to surface and start to head in. Him and I were following one of the
more experienced divers, Cliff, who had double tanks. I think he called
it side-mounting. The tanks were not on his back like normal divers. I
guess cave divers put their smaller profile tanks on their two sides for
ease of unclipping them and putting them in front for small openings.
So I surfaced to encounter HUGE waves..even way out from the shore like
we were. I immediate started getting sea sick so I told my buddy and
Cliff that I'd stay below the water and follow them in to avoid from
getting sick. I managed to make it all the way to shore, but alas when I
surfaced on the shore of the beach the sea sickness got the best of me.
I really should have just stopped and sat on the beach for a minute at
that point but it was so hot and I was tired from swimming back in(never
realized how long it takes to swim back in to shore..geesh)..so I just
started walking. It felt like I must have walked 10 miles in that
gear..although in reality it was only a little bit of a longer walk than
when trekking out to begin the dive. I learned new meaning of
dehydration & exhaustion that day. I think I fell asleep for a couple
minutes at the picnic table when I laid my head down.. heh

After the dive Saturday, we went back to a phat condo(thanks Kim and
Cliff for organizing this!), ate dinner and just hung out.

Sunday - erojacks
This was the main site why I wanted to make the trip out there. For
those who don't know, erojacks is an artificial reef created using large
cement "jacks"(like the kids game), all dropped in a big long row from
shore outward. These jacks create a haven for fish to hide in. The
downside of this location is you must trek about 1/4mi(10min walk) in
full gear up the beach to get to the point where the jacks are. I
decided to do this dive with no suit(and less weight for the beach
walk!), and found it much nicer this way. I was truly surprised how much
life there was around the jacks. I saw all kinds of stuff.. blue/purple
coral(only saw ONCE piece of it though!), all kinds of really bright
fish, blue, green, red, yellow, some were half yellow half blue. I saw a
parrotfish bigger than my head, a lobster about 2' long, two nurse
sharks(maybe the same one twice?), and whole schools of fish big enough
to bring home and eat sleeping in the reef. I even saw an octopus hiding
in its hole in the ground. On the way back a really large snook(about
2.5 feet long) was curious and came close to us for a look. That
actually startled me moreso than the shark as it was swimming right
towards us. :) All the fish I saw were easily colorful enough to have
found in someone's aquarium at home.

I had a pre-conception what to expect going out to my first reef. I was
not let down in any way, and saw so many amazing things. Diving this
reef was everything I had hoped it would be and then some. If I wasn't
hooked on diving before, I am now!

-------------------------------------------------------
In addition, I'll have to echo Michelle's comments. Big thanks to Cliff and Kim who took care of everyone. :) I'll remember this trip for the rest of my life.

Kim, I hope all this negative side-effect of this doesn't keep you from organizing events moving forward. I can't wait to come hang out and go diving again. :)

showboat:
OK Folks. the looong awaited photos from the Meet, Greet and Dive Dive Dive Weekend is up and waiting for your viewing pleasure.... ENJOY
Hi Showboat,

Just took a look at your website - great stuff! You definitely captured the highlights of the weekend.

Thanks for posting!
Solensdotter
aka Laura
aka Justin's sidekick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom