Attention Getter...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

av8er23

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have decided that my girlfriend and me need to carry some type of device that would allow us to get each other’s attention while diving. I have seen many things on the market including the tank slapper, a device that hooks inline with a LP hose, shakers, and whistles. I recently saw a dive master in Belize that carried a small brass rod. It was about the size of a sharpie pen and it had a hook that was attached to the back of his BC. Do you guys have any recommendations on what to use.

I use a SS carbiner that is clipped to a D-ring. Detach, slip over your fingers to keep from dropping, and bang the tank. Re-clip when finished. Various sizes available. - Chris

Tank banger on GF forehead. When she's not paying attention pull and let go. :D

Cover private parts as soon as you do it. :D :D

Gary D.

No point in carrying extra junk when you already have a device with you that is pretty much guaranteed to work- Your bangstick.

A cattle prod works nicely....

Seriously, I guess the tank banger or the end of the knife handle is the most widely used pieces of equipment. The problem with any noise maker is the physical aspect of sound travel underwater. Sound travels 4 times faster underwater than in air (5000 ft/second in salt water compared to about 1100 ft/second in air), so, as I am sure you know, it is more difficult to tell where the sound is coming from. If you get separated from your buddy, they will be able to hear the sound very well but not be able to determine its origin. But a tank banger works well if you are close to your buddy and simply trying to get their attention. If they ignore you then I would invest in the cattle prod.

Personally I use a rattlestick/shaker. The high pitch travels well in water, and when I use it, it tends to get the attention of the person I want to.

My last dive in Cozumel, one or our group members floated about 20 yards away from his buddy on the current, I shook it, and instantly he knew what had happened.

I've tried using my knife on the tank before, but the pitch is so low, that people either don't hear it, or ignore it because of the low frequency and longer interval between hits. When you hear a rattle in the water, it's toatlly unnatural so it tends to get attention.

Gary D.:
Tank banger on GF forehead. When she's not paying attention pull and let go. :D

Cover private parts as soon as you do it. :D :D

Gary D.

:whack: and :rofl3:

nothing works better than calling out your buddies name... but im gifted enough to be able to talk underwater and most men wouldnt want their GF's to learn this skill :wink:

almitywife:
nothing works better than calling out your buddies name... but im gifted enough to be able to talk underwater and most men wouldnt want their GF's to learn this skill :wink:

Your buddy's name is Bmoogle?

I think you and your buddy need a little chat about what being a buddy means. If you are being good buddies, you don't need such devices. Who ever the offender is (guys usually are), they need a slap upside the head. Take turns leading the dives so everyone get a chance to go at their speed and range. You may not like following, but it'll teach you something about what the other diver likes that you can respect on future dives.

Back
Top Bottom