Attention Getter...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 'ducky blaster' which gets everyone within 100 feet's attention.

Garrobo:
I have a 'ducky blaster' which gets everyone within 100 feet's attention.

My wife and I both use the "ducky blaster." It is intended more as a safety device then just a way to communicate under water. Since she is my primary dive buddy we have gotten in a "groove" with diving and communicating. I find that if I dive with some else we need to do a careful briefing of signs so we can communicate underwater. That said, the first dive usually is out of synch. We then process the experience and have a more successful second dive.

:cheers:

Walter:
Simply pay attention to each other.

That is a novel idea. :D
----------------------------------------------------------
Sub-ducks are evil and a true sign of dorkism.

Maybe that is too harsh....

Typical dive with a sub-ducker on the boat:

Quack! (A blue parrot fish!)
Quack! (Two butterfly fish!)
Quack! Quack! Quack! (A big parrot fish!)
Quack! (Angelfish!)
Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! (A lobster!)
Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! (A nurseshark!)
Two minutes later.....
Quack (A "rainbow" parrot fish!)

Nope, not too harsh at all....they are evil.

One of these should do nicely. :eyebrow:

http://www.salvodiving.com/10_115_235

Seriously though, I've found that in the lovely waters of the PNW that having lights makes keeping track of my buddy a lot easier. As long as I can see his light while we're swimming along, I know where he is, don't have to crank around looking for him all the time.

I agree with several of the above posters however, learn better buddy skills and you shouldn't need a noise maker.

Dive safe!

Jake

Let's face it as a buddy pair or team is swimming along however slowly 100% mutual visual observation isn't happening. If it is then you're missing the boat or. You can see something very cool and by the time you rally the troops it's gone or you lost the sighting.

In Bonaire we heard some excellent shakers that made a distinct that make a sound like a loud version of coral crunching. Seeing what I thnk was the item at a Bonaire dive shop it seemed to be a length of copper pipe sealed with 2 caps. Inside were some balls. At $20 each they will be a DIY item. There is a DIY thread that ran not long ago in that forum.

If you choose to have signal codes that's cool.

Pete

Quacker? Dork Diver?? You bet! I'm a solo traveller and diver so I end up buddied up with some real bozos, some with the attention span of a gold fish. So something really loud is necessary to get them to come out of their coma if I need their unattended. So my little ducky does the trick most of the time. Plus I like to sound it off as I am doing the giant step. Cooool to say the least. Right, dorky to the extreme.

Garrobo:
Quacker? Dork Diver?? You bet! I'm a solo traveller and diver so I end up buddied up with some real bozos, some with the attention span of a gold fish. So something really loud is necessary to get them to come out of their coma if I need their unattended. So my little ducky does the trick most of the time. Plus I like to sound it off as I am doing the giant step. Cooool to say the least. Right, dorky to the extreme.

Remind me to never dive with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom