Attention Getter...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo:
I have a 'ducky blaster' which gets everyone within 100 feet's attention.
That's very inconsiderate to all the people within 100 feet who you're NOT diving with.

That was one of the real turn-offs of diving in Cozumel ... never been anywhere else where so many people used noisemakers ... which is really annoying when people are using them every few seconds to point out that next "fascinating" fish to the person they're diving with.

I would prefer that people communicate with their buddies in a way that doesn't involve loud noises ... because noisemakers are an imposition on everyone else in the water. Or ... if you MUST use a noisemaker, reserve it for situations that require a dive buddy's attention for SAFETY reasons.

Personally, one of the reasons I dive is to experience a little peace and quiet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

mikerault:
I love the comments about "with good buddy skills you should never lose your buddy" well, that's fine for nice clear pretty water. Now move it to a lake where vis is maybe 10-15 feet (3-5 meters for Europeans) and I guarentee unless you tie yourselves together you will lose a buddy now and then. If I am diving in low viz I have started taking along a hand held submersible fish finder it makes locating that buddy that just got out of visual range much easier.

Mike
Actually, I find it much easier to keep track of my dive buddy in low-vis conditions. In part I suppose it's because those are the conditions I'm most used to ... but it's also because in low-vis it's much easier to see someone else's dive light ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

take a speargun and attach some colorful ribbons to the end of the spear...fire a shot just in front of her and she'll notice! (and not take the prime seat on the dive boat EVER again!)

Fordan:
Your buddy's name is Bmoogle?

My buddy's name is Mnooorghhhhgghhh. Spotted Eagle Ray is also called Mnooorghhhhgghhh. And big honking Green Moray Eel happens to have the same name too. Common name underwater I have noticed.

I like the idea of a small piece of copper pipe open or closed on both ends then use the caribeener idea to clack it...... then you dont have to reach behind you, and if you have some grommets on your bcd could mount it even.

Duck quackers are evil. The only legitimate use for them is for the DM to carry one when they need to attract the attention of the entire group. Individual divers are welcome to the surface horn for emergencies, but use of the quacker underwater is absolutely terrible, and highly inconsiderate to everyone within a hundred feet (or two) who is NOT your buddy.

There's another thread on here that references the pet training clickers available at PetCo as being fantastic, and I intend to pick one up next time I remember to. They're only a couple bucks, so even if they don't last forever in salt water, they're easy to replace. And not nearly as annoying as most of the other options.

Simple tank bangers work, but you've got to talk to your buddy and have them be aware of (and listening for) the sound, else they're easy to tune out.

Yeah those quackers suck! The only time you are allowed to use it is if you are OOA... And in that very moment it won't work.
If you want to have yours buddies atention just hit the tank with the back of your knife, you don't need to bring more stuff with you in the water.

Back
Top Bottom