Purchasing AED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Now that I've finally completed setting up my onboard emergency 02 delivery system for my boat, and in light of the recent cardiac event involving Bills safety Damar Hamlin, I've now decided that I want to have a portable AED at home that I can also carry onboard my boat when in the field. I'm currently looking at the ZOLL AED Plus.... (link below) Even though I am a certified CPR instructor.....that talent won't do me much good if I'm the guy on the deck and this unit claims to not only be an easy and fully voice prompted AED but also monitors CPR compression depth, frequency with additional voice prompts...

For the record, my recently completed emergency onboard O2 provider solution is:
  • One 100% O2 cleaned 80AL with DIN and filled with Aviator O2 (note that this gives me almost 4 X's the O2 capacity as one standard DAN D bottle.
  • A 100% O2 cleaned Dive Rite Regulator with DIN, HP Gauge, 2nd stage with 40inch LP hose and standard LP BC Inflator hose.....all in bright Green!
  • RescuEAN Advanced Set
This entire set-up cost me about the same as the DAN Care Plus system only it has almost 4 times the O2 capacity and gives me the option of providing 100% O2 to a conscious diver with zero residual waste via the standard demand 2nd stage.....

Anyway, just checking in here to see if there is any additional advice or other equipment options I should be considering as far as purchasing a portable AED goes.

Thanks in advance! (and thanks to Tbones for the recommendation on the ResuEAN

Well done for considering an AED on your boat. Other than O2, it probably is a primary lifesaver. I would think that insensitivity to moisture would be an asset....in addition to annual cost of operation.

The zoll will be fine. If you want to save money, many of the AED companies offer refurbs. You can buy them for about half the price of new. Don't buy an ebay refurb, they will have aftermarket batteries that do not last.
Whatever you buy, make sure batteries are still available from the OEM.

I have heartstarts on both of my boats. Luckily I have never needed either one.
Consider a pelican case for boat storage, they shouldn't be subjected to water ingress.
Also, store it in the bilge or berth, not in direct sunlight. The battery will over temp if stored in the sun.

Thanks Tracy and Tursiops for the responses..... Yes...... I already have my emergency O2 kit all in a water/air tight Pelican box and will also have my new AED in same. And Tracy, thanks for the heads up on the refurbished models. I can get a Certified refurb of the ZOLL for almost 50% off. It comes with a full warranty and the batteries are original factory and are user changeable and priced reasonably. What I am really liking about the Zoll Plus is that it will also talk even a non certified CPR provider through the process... Here's the description language.

When in a dire situation of life and death, due to a sudden cardiac arrest, giving proper and correct CPR means everything. Only about 50% of sudden cardiac arrest victims will require a shock, the rest will need effective and efficient CPR. This is where the Zoll AED Plus excels and will make sure the user is giving high quality CPR. The Zoll AED Plus will monitor the user's CPR and give audio feedback on how the user is performing. When the user is not pushing hard enough the AED will tell them to push harder, when pushing hard enough it will say "good compressions." This AED will even show the depth of each compression in real time. This audio and visual assistance along with a built in metronome, that will keep the user on the right pace, will be the key to making a successful rescue.

Philips Heart Start in a waterproof, rustproof, crushproof Pelican Case.
Temperature extremes can dramatically shorten the battery life.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 41
For non Maritime use, this is a good soft case.

Now that I've finally completed setting up my onboard emergency 02 delivery system for my boat, and in light of the recent cardiac event involving Bills safety Damar Hamlin, I've now decided that I want to have a portable AED at home that I can also carry onboard my boat when in the field. I'm currently looking at the ZOLL AED Plus.... (link below) Even though I am a certified CPR instructor.....that talent won't do me much good if I'm the guy on the deck and this unit claims to not only be an easy and fully voice prompted AED but also monitors CPR compression depth, frequency with additional voice prompts...

For the record, my recently completed emergency onboard O2 provider solution is:
  • One 100% O2 cleaned 80AL with DIN and filled with Aviator O2 (note that this gives me almost 4 X's the O2 capacity as one standard DAN D bottle.
  • A 100% O2 cleaned Dive Rite Regulator with DIN, HP Gauge, 2nd stage with 40inch LP hose and standard LP BC Inflator hose.....all in bright Green!
  • RescuEAN Advanced Set
This entire set-up cost me about the same as the DAN Care Plus system only it has almost 4 times the O2 capacity and gives me the option of providing 100% O2 to a conscious diver with zero residual waste via the standard demand 2nd stage.....

Anyway, just checking in here to see if there is any additional advice or other equipment options I should be considering as far as purchasing a portable AED goes.

We bought the Zoll (make sure you get the marine IP rated one) for our club nearly 12 years ago. It comes out on all club trips boat and shore based. Replacing the batteries after 7 years was easy, but finding the reset botton was challenging. Never had to use in in anger. We also bought the Zoll training unit which is also easy to use, and has done loads of courses.

As hinted at above, ANY AED can be waterproofed in a good container and stowage location. But in the marine environment, on a small boat, it also needs to be able to be USED in a wet environment...and the pelican box becomes irrelevant.

• RescuEAN Advanced Set

Remember you’ll need a script from a provider to purchase and AED. There are also references to medical direction, an program plan, and reoccurring training. I don’t know how rigorously those are followed/enforced.

What I am really liking about the Zoll Plus is that it will also talk even a non certified CPR provider through the process...
They all do that. I do a fair amount of AED training and I use the customer's units during training. I have used many different brands and types. I haven't seen an AED made in the last decade that doesn't walk you through the process loudly with very clear and precise instructions.
As hinted at above, ANY AED can be waterproofed in a good container and stowage location. But in the marine environment, on a small boat, it also needs to be able to be USED in a wet environment...and the pelican box becomes irrelevant.
It is a moot point. You aren't throwing it overboard, and if you do, you aren't getting it back to use.
It is more an issue of long term storage in a moist environment is hard on electronics. They are all made to be used around water or in the rain.
Remember you’ll need a script from a provider to purchase and AED. There are also references to medical direction, an program plan, and reoccurring training. I don’t know how rigorously those are followed/enforced.
I'm sure it could vary state to state, but I have never heard of or seen a prescription requirement for an AED. Recurring training is a great plan and it should be adhered to, but AEDs are designed so that the average lay person could hook it up and use with basically no formal training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom