Purchasing AED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember you’ll need a script from a provider to purchase and AED. There are also references to medical direction, an program plan, and reoccurring training. I don’t know how rigorously those are followed/enforced.
Not in my state. And you can order them online without a script. In PA I don't need a script to buy medical O2 for my DAN kit. In some backward states you need one. And in some, unless you are a qualified instructor you can't get it. I know in Ohio for the longest time only the YMCA Scuba program was recognized to allow an instructor to get O2 without a script. The OCSSDI (Ohio Council of Skin and SCUBA Divers Inc) worked very hard to get the law changed because of how stupid it was.

Not in my state. And you can order them online without a script. In PA I don't need a script to buy medical O2 for my DAN kit. In some backward states you need one. And in some, unless you are a qualified instructor you can't get it. I know in Ohio for the longest time only the YMCA Scuba program was recognized to allow an instructor to get O2 without a script. The OCSSDI (Ohio Council of Skin and SCUBA Divers Inc) worked very hard to get the law changed because of how stupid it was.
Michigan does require a script for medical oxygen and it is fairly well adhered to. Unless you are a bulk buyer and then nobody cares what you are doing with it.

As stated, there are consumables in ownership. Batteries should be monitored (checked monthly), as well as there are expiration dated on the pads.

As a public facility, we have them in our buildings (both ones open to the public, and those only for our personnel). Yes, they are designed for anyone to be able to use them (pictures and voice prompts). Get training, and stay practiced, but also pay attention to maintaining them properly. Don't cut corners on cheap replacement components. It need to work when called upon.

As stated, there are consumables in ownership. Batteries should be monitored (checked monthly), as well as there are expiration dated on the pads.

As a public facility, we have them in our buildings (both ones open to the public, and those only for our personnel). Yes, they are designed for anyone to be able to use them (pictures and voice prompts). Get training, and stay practiced, but also pay attention to maintaining them properly. Don't cut corners on cheap replacement components. It need to work when called upon.
On the don't cut corners.

There are cheap replacement bateries on the Internet, but watch they have sufficent live to last the 7 years. Many wont.

I thought that as FDA approved devices that a script was required for any AEDs in public. For home use there is an exception for no script.

Although I don’t purchase and place AEDs in my practice - I just use defibrillators. It’s certianly possible that regulations have changed to allow AED placement without scripts now.

Or perhaps the folks who sell you the AED get you a script as part of the sale?

SAN FRANCISCO, CA – Under section 201(h) of the Federal Food Drug & Cosmetic Act, Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) are regulated by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) and classified as Class III medical devices. Class III devices have the most stringent regulatory controls, but AED units have always been regulated through the 510(k) process, a pre-market pathway that is typically reserved for the far less stringently regulated Class I and Class II devices

Under FDA rules, most AEDs require that purchasers obtain a prescription from a physician. These are usually provided by the AED seller as a matter of course and used as a sales tool. A prescription alone, however, does not satisfy all legal duties in many jurisdictions.

As of now my only hesitation is whether to purchase a recertified / refurbished unit rather than a brand new unit. I'm pretty much sold on the ZOLL AED Plus as they appear to be robust and user friendly and are the exact same units that are on every floor of my office building.

I recently retired from the Dept of Energy I worked around high voltage. All of our Phillips AED units (100’s of units) were recently replaced with Zoll. Seems like the safety manager mentioned that the cost and availability of consumables (batteries and pads) was what prompted the change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom