At what point should I get diver insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Careful, you are bringing a knife to a gun fight. You are using a media report found on Google to argue with a professional in the business.
Yeah, I've got one of those too, but no need to write a law review article just to show an example.

Yeah, I've got one of those too, but no need to write a law review article just to show an example.
In that case you should understand contracts better than you seem to. :)

On the subject of "drowning insurance," I recently invested in a redundant-air-supply. Essentially a 19 cu (30cu & 40cu also work) pony bottle, inexpensive 1st stage, inexpensive 2nd stage, and $15 button spg, plus some rigging. I'd say budget around $400, but there are ways to bring the cost down. For example, a used pony bottle, used regulators in good condition, even cheaper regulators, or spare parts you already have.

Do not go for the "Spare Air" or other similar products, anything below 13cu (ex: 1.7, 3, or 6 cu) is too small to be of much use.

In that case you should understand contracts better than you seem to. :)
Ha! Are you a lawyer too, or should you re-read that mug? :) Of course, even lawyers can have opposing views. But I do understand both the law (which does allow for modifications going forward under many circumstances) and the reality of trying to sue an insurance company that doesn't pay your $40,000 claim.

Ha! Are you a lawyer too, or should you re-read that mug? :) Of course, even lawyers can have opposing views. But I do understand both the law (which does allow for modifications going forward under many circumstances) and the reality of trying to sue an insurance company that doesn't pay your $40,000 claim.
You are making an excellent case for the OP to just buy the damn DAN insurance....

Insurance companies are no different than any other company that you enter into a contract with. Try substituting "car rental company" instead of insurance company for your thought process. Both sell a product and provide a well defined service based upon a written contract. The employees of both make mistakes. Sometimes in your favour, sometimes not.
AND: in a court of law both will be held to the contract that they wrote and sold. But nothing more. If they did not sell it, then they can not be expected to provide it.

Ever have a rental car break down on you? What was your expectation? What were they contracted to do?

Insurance companies are no different ....
Actually, although most car rental agreements also are written where a lot can be argued, car rental is generally a "one and done" contract that does not go on for an extended time period. Other agreements, like insurance policies, credit card agreements, etc., are of an on-going nature and are often modified by one-party as time goes by. There are usually provisions tucked away in those agreements that allow that.

Honestly, are you saying you've never received the little thin sheets in the mail telling you they are modifying terms of your credit card, or provisions in your insurance policy, etc.? Those are sent all the time -- those contracts are not frozen in time to the original agreement date.

In any event, make your own decisions - I grow tired of legal talk, and want to read about scuba.

Actually, although most car rental agreements also are written where a lot can be argued, car rental is generally a "one and done" contract that does not go on for an extended time period. Other agreements, like insurance policies, credit card agreements, etc., are of an on-going nature and are often modified by one-party as time goes by. There are usually provisions tucked away in those agreements that allow that.

Honestly, are you saying you've never received the little thin sheets in the mail telling you they are modifying terms of your credit card, or provisions in your insurance policy, etc.? Those are sent all the time -- those contracts are not frozen in time to the original agreement date.

In any event, make your own decisions - I grow tired of legal talk, and want to read about scuba.
Many people have a hard time understanding the concept of contracts. And no one but a bunch of lawyers can actually determine what is being offered. That is on purpose as the contract needs to be able to stand up in a court of law. Being understandable by the purchaser is secondary. To date, no one has been able to achieve both. Many have tried...

BUT: please do not confuse "terms" with "services".

The terms of your credit card agreement allow the credit card company to change their interest rate (and likely many other things) at will. That is not a change in the terms of the contract. The contract says they can change interest rates. Changing the interest rate is changing the service, not the terms.

Many people have a hard time understanding the concept of contracts. And no one but a bunch of lawyers can actually determine what is being offered. That is on purpose as the contract needs to be able to stand up in a court of law. Being understandable by the purchaser is secondary. To date, no one has been able to achieve both. Many have tried...

BUT: please do not confuse "terms" with "services".

The terms of your credit card agreement allow the credit card company to change their interest rate (and likely many other things) at will. That is not a change in the terms of the contract. The contract says they can change interest rates. Changing the interest rate is changing the service, not the terms.
Any time you "renew" an Insurance product (i.e. buy it again after you old policy completed) the insurance company is obligated to provide details about any change in coverage that the "new" product has. Your old product can not change. But the next one you buy to replace it can be very different.

In the case of DAN (since they are simply a reseller and not an insurance company) your next policy may be provided by a different insurance company. And the terms may have changed.

Back
Top Bottom