Should I get insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, they've had the policy for some time about not providing chamber info for things like ERPs that people make. But I thought they did just fine if you were in distress and called them...they send you to the nearest working site. You just can't get that info in advance because it keeps changing.
True, but it's unfortunate if you need recompression and the nearest chamber is +12 hours away... If I was in Mexico, they'd tell me where to go, but in the states, I'm on my own.

Either way, I make my own decision, it's just less informed because I'm diving in the USA. Doesn't seem right to me.

True, but it's unfortunate if you need recompression and the nearest chamber is +12 hours away... If I was in Mexico, they'd tell me where to go, but in the states, I'm on my own.

Either way, I make my own decision, it's just less informed because I'm diving in the USA. Doesn't seem right to me.
I don't think we are saying the same thing.
I'm saying you can't get the info in advance, but you do get it if you call them once you've been injured.
You're saying -- in the US -- they will never tell you where to go?

I don't think we are saying the same thing.
I'm saying you can't get the info in advance, but you do get it if you call them once you've been injured.
You're saying -- in the US -- they will never tell you where to go?
No, I'm agreeing with you, but saying it's unfortunate that because I'm in the USA, I can't get information from them to make a logical assessment of my risk.

In other words, DAN will tell you to call 911 in the US - I get that for most divers.

But, for divers doing deco dives that might be 4-12 hours from a recompression chamber (as I assume I am), it would be useful to know that in the event that I'm bent, I am likely 5 hours from a chamber treatment.

Knowing what the research is, I would make a decision to do IWR. If I'm 90 minutes from a chamber, but decision is totally different. Does that make sense?

We had no dive insurance for 20 years until the liveaboard we planned to go on absolutely required it.

No, I'm agreeing with you, but saying it's unfortunate that because I'm in the USA, I can't get information from them to make a logical assessment of my risk.

In other words, DAN will tell you to call 911 in the US - I get that for most divers.

But, for divers doing deco dives that might be 4-12 hours from a recompression chamber (as I assume I am), it would be useful to know that in the event that I'm bent, I am likely 5 hours from a chamber treatment.

Knowing what the research is, I would make a decision to do IWR. If I'm 90 minutes from a chamber, but decision is totally different. Does that make sense?
Got it. Understood. I agree. I think the problem is more US chambers and insurance rules than DAN.

In your case, helicopter evacuation from Rock Lake takes a couple hours to Denver. It's been done.

I do not believe DAN Business membership allows instructors of that shop to be "covered." The individual instructors need to have their own membership and dive-accident insurance.
We are NOT talking about liability coverage...the discussion is about accident coverage.
Do you have information to the contrary?
I’m NOT talking about liability insurance either. The OP asked about should she get dive insurance for her OW class because the shop she is using is not affiliated with DAN. I was originally responding to another poster stating he had never seen a shop offer DAN accident insurance for classes. The shop or the instructor can do it if they have a business membership. You just have to sign in and put your students info in. Quit making something out of nothing!

Quit making something out of nothing!
I'm so sorry you are upset because you stated something so unclearly and confusingly.
You said:
If the instructor is under the shops plan it is the shop
But there is no such thing. If the shop has a Business Membership then the shop can sign the students up. There is no way for the instructor to be "under the shops plan" unless you are talking about liability coverage.

I'm so sorry you are upset because you stated something so unclearly and confusingly.
You said:

But there is no such thing. If the shop has a Business Membership then the shop can sign the students up. There is no way for the instructor to be "under the shops plan" unless you are talking about liability coverage.
Ok you got me for using the wrong word, meaning the the shop’s business membership. Obviously you are smarter than me didn’t do well in my english class. I bow to you oh great one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom