Should I get insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
During our vacation this year we have finally decided to take the plunge and get our OW certification. We are using a very reputable company, however they are not affiliated with DAN so we can't get the student membership that DAN offers for free while we are in training. Should I go ahead and get the membership and the diving accident insurance. I am just hesitant to pay for it now just in case we get down there and something happens that we are not able to get certified on this trip. Thanks!

If you are going to get certified, you are going to want to have the insurance anyway, as in the next dive after you are certified. The insurance is surprisingly cheap.

Typically your medical insurance will cover you for any diving related injury provided you are diving within your training and recreational limits. You might consider trip insurance for evac purposes. DAN may still offer trip insurance that covers extra money for chamber ride and dcs evacuation in low flying airplane.

As others have said DAN is cheap. Also the last three trips I have taken, two liveaboards and one land based dive resort required you to have dive accident insurance.

for me personally, i am not a huge fan of being "over insured". everyone's definition of that term will vary.

most people who travel have medical coverage with their credit card. we were able to get the insurance provider to send us an email that stated in writing that diving accidents were covered. this is what i would do if i were you. but i'm not you.

as someone mentioned above, you must be diving within your training limits. great advice.

i personally (not that it doesnt happen all the time, i'm sure) dont know anyone who has ever gotten specific dive insurance to do their basic ow course. i actually cannot even remember ever being told that any shop i have ever dealt with, provides DAN or any other insurance to students. so i find that whole thing very interesting.

our shop had insurance for the staff etc of course, but in the ten years i worked there, no one ever even mentioned anything about insurance for students. hmmmmm.

all insurance is a numbers game. are you willing to assume the monetary risk in order to save the cost. period. so it is always up to the individual to weigh the risks vs costs and decide whether they feel it is worth it or not.

as a new student doing a small number of shallow easy training dives, the risks are very very low that anything will happen. but if the cost is so cheap that you feel better about having it, then perhaps you should.

if you were an advanced deep diver that dives 1000 dives a year in remote locations etc etc, obviously the risks are exponentially higher that something bad might happen. so perhaps in those cases, no matter the cost, the insurance might be considered mandatory.

perhaps consider using a shop that does provide the insurance you want? if there is one avail.

Typically your medical insurance will cover you for any diving related injury provided you are diving within your training and recreational limits. You might consider trip insurance for evac purposes. DAN may still offer trip insurance that covers extra money for chamber ride and dcs evacuation in low flying airplane.

This is not true. Most health insurance companies will not cover dive related accidents.

OP, yes you should get DAN.

There's no question about it: GET DAN ASAP.

i personally (not that it doesnt happen all the time, i'm sure) dont know anyone who has ever gotten specific dive insurance to do their basic ow course. i actually cannot even remember ever being told that any shop i have ever dealt with, provides DAN or any other insurance to students. so i find that whole thing very interesting.

our shop had insurance for the staff etc of course, but in the ten years i worked there, no one ever even mentioned anything about insurance for students. hmmmmm.
DAN has a student diver insurance program that covers the student during their OW class or basic training that is free to the student. The shop or instructor that is insured through DAN signs them up for this coverage and the student can upgrade to a regular membership if they like after they are certified. The student can't sign up on there own for this program only the insured "business". This was something we used to explain to students before online instruction took over the classroom portion of OW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom