Liveaboard insurance for Australians diving domestically

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iancl

New
Reaction score
Apologies for the replica post (from the Insurance section) but I suspect many more people in this section will have input and may not see the other post.

We're going on our first liveaboard in QLD Australia, and we live in NSW. The operator strongly recommends diving-specific travel insurance and doesn't offer refunds in case of cancellation due to weather ot other things beyond their control. They recommended DiveAssure which looks great and covers, among other things: cancellation due to weather, missed diving days due to weather, missing the departure. These all seem great!

But when I enquired about problems I had getting quotes on the DiveAssure online tool, DiveAssure told me they don't cover diving trips in Australia for Australian residents! They cover diving accidents etc., but not Dive+Travel. Generic travel insurance won't cover liveaboard-specific things like missing a departure due to cancelled flights, or liveaboard cancellation due to weather.

Who else provides liveaboard-friendly insurance for Australians diving in Australia?

I have searched but it doesn't seem like DAN or Insure&Go do anything quite the same.

Why would you need insurance?

Medicare covers all medical matters. If you have to be evacuated by helicopter or plane, the various state governments run the organisations that do this (or the Royal Flying Doctor Service). Possibly need ambulance cover, but not sure.

Recompression chambers are run by public hospitals, again, free.

Make sure that you have ambulance cover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom