At what point should I get diver insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Their tags are now round and metal.

Yes, the link I put in my post takes you to the Dan Tag site, complete with an example of the new round metal tag they use.

My reference was to my DAN Tag, which dates back to at least 2001 (when my dive buddy/wife was certified and added to my DAN account).

51284263008_49d918a8e1_b.jpg

Regardless of materials, I am sure they both still work.

Thinking like a diver involves identifying low probability negative events, reducing their likelihood of occurring, and increasing your ability to deal with them.

Buy the insurance.

Yes, the link I put in my post takes you to the Dan Tag site, complete with an example of the new round metal tag they use.

My reference was to my DAN Tag, which dates back to at least 2001 (when my dive buddy/wife was certified and added to my DAN account).

View attachment 668679

Regardless of materials, I am sure they both still work.
I'm thinking I'll take the printable DAN info, add several other pieces of information, like my contact info for returning lost (or mixed-up) equipment, and laminate it creating about 10 tags I can attach in various places. The $20 metal ones look nice, but the cost would add up if I bought several.

I've wanted to create some waterproof tags (before I bought DAN) that I can attach to multiple pieces of equipment, including dive-bags, several BCDs, tanks, save-a-dive bag, wetsuit, etc. The idea being that the DAN information would be available both at my entry-point (shore, boat) & on my body (for example, if unconscious). And of course return info on all my equipment in case of a mixup or loss.

I also use paint-markers on masks and similar items, but usually that's limed to my name or initials. While I usually dive solo, the paint-markets helped recently in a dive-class, where someone accidentally grabbed a piece of my equipment since a lot of dive equipment is black and all looks the same if you're not paying attention. I have more recently started adding a specific color to all my gear to make it a little easier to spot & distinguish.

BUT: please do not confuse "terms" with "services". . . . Changing the interest rate is changing the service, not the terms.
The terms of the agreement include both the business terms and the legal terms, and many that are a mix.

Your old product can not change.
Again, though I wish it were so, that's just not generally how it works -- I say generally because each state can regulate certain aspects of insurance, so some states may have more protections for consumers than others. And yes, one can get into arguments about whether a change is material or not, which can make a difference in some circumstances.

If a person wants to spend years in litigation tilting at windmills they are free to do so, and may eventually prevail. As for me, I spent the $139 to get coverage for 2 from DAN, in part because I know my health insurer is not beyond trying to change what claims it will pay with no actual notice to individual insureds (see link in prior post).

So, you are welcome to have a different opinion, but I'm done talking about insurance policies. Cheers!

Again, though I wish it were so, that's just not generally how it works -- I say generally because each state can regulate certain aspects of insurance, so some states may have more protections for consumers than others.
To clarify: each state DOES regulate ALL aspects of insurance.
Insurance commissioner - Wikipedia

As noted each state is different. Some are fairly similar. Some are not.

And no, like any other contract, one party can not make unilateral changes. That wouldn't really be a contract....

Ha! Are you a lawyer too, or should you re-read that mug? :) Of course, even lawyers can have opposing views. But I do understand both the law (which does allow for modifications going forward under many circumstances) and the reality of trying to sue an insurance company that doesn't pay your $40,000 claim.

Unilaterally, without an existing clause that provides for same?

Many people have a hard time understanding the concept of contracts. And no one but a bunch of lawyers can actually determine what is being offered. That is on purpose as the contract needs to be able to stand up in a court of law. Being understandable by the purchaser is secondary. To date, no one has been able to achieve both. Many have tried...

BUT: please do not confuse "terms" with "services".

The terms of your credit card agreement allow the credit card company to change their interest rate (and likely many other things) at will. That is not a change in the terms of the contract. The contract says they can change interest rates. Changing the interest rate is changing the service, not the terms.

That is something that the user has agreed to upon entering the arrangement

Thinking like a diver involves identifying low probability negative events, reducing their likelihood of occurring, and increasing your ability to deal with them.

Buy the insurance.

That's the thing about insurance. You don't need it until you do and THEN you really DO.

If I could be so bold as to answer the original question in this thread. :)

I have had it from the beginning, mainly it was because if something did happen to me on a dive my non-diving spouse would have a little bit of extra help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom