At what point should I get diver insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To rephrase my question:
1. There's DAN Membership
2. There's DAN per trip insurance
3. There's DAN yearly insurance
Are we talking about the yearly insurance? Is that the policy most of you all have?

To rephrase my question:
Are we talking about the yearly insurance? Is that the policy most of you all have?
Yes, the (3) yearly insurance.

1. Is not insurance. It may have benefits, but I don't know what they are.
2. Might be good for vacation-only divers
3. Is what you want if you dive regularly.

Wait, hang on - DAN gives you equipment insurance too??? (Say my stuff broke, they'd help me find replacement asap?)
Hmmm, :daydream: with this new piece of info, maybe I'm changing my mind about not getting it :D Seems like a pretty good deal
No, it covers loss during rescue/emergency and there may be theft coverage; I'd have to reread my policy.

No, it covers loss during rescue/emergency and there may be theft coverage; I'd have to reread my policy.
If you have home owners or tennant insurance your gear should already be covered as part of your personal contents.

If that is the case then this "benefit" is a good example of over insuring. You are paying for something that you can not use.

If you have home owners or tennant insurance your gear should already be covered as part of your personal contents.

If that is the case then this "benefit" is a good example of over insuring. You are paying for something that you can not use.
Don't think home owner/tenet insurance will cover loss during a dive emergency/rescue; mine doesn't in that instance because its not at my house...

To which particular DAN policy are you all referring?

To rephrase my question:

Actually, there are four different issues:
1. DAN membership.
2. DAN Dive Accident Insurance
3. DAN per trip travel insurance
4. DAN annual travel insurance.

You have to have 1 to get any of the others.
2 is arguably essential for all divers, IMHO. Head-and-shoulders better than any alternatives.
3 and 4 depend on coverage desired, number of trips a year, etc.

I believe the OP's question was about 2, NOT travel insurance.

Yes, the link I put in my post takes you to the Dan Tag site, complete with an example of the new round metal tag they use.

My reference was to my DAN Tag, which dates back to at least 2001 (when my dive buddy/wife was certified and added to my DAN account).

View attachment 668679

Regardless of materials, I am sure they both still work.

I don't have a DAN Tag. But, if I did, I think I would wear it around my neck, beneath my wetsuit (rather than attached to my BC), like a military dog tag. That way it will always stay put. Unless a GW bites my head off.

Just thinkin' out loud.

rx7diver

Don't think home owner/tenet insurance will cover loss during a dive emergency/rescue; mine doesn't in that instance because its not at my house...
It is always a good thing to know what is and is not covered. You should verify this understanding with your agent.

"Normally" (YMMV) contents insurance covers your stuff in your home and when it is temporarily away from home. A vacation is temporary, a storage locker may not be.

Contents Insurance | TD Insurance

Example: I had a car stolen, the bicycle in the trunk was NOT covered by my car insurance. It was covered by my tennant insurance. As well as all the other personal items that I had left in the car.

I buy the DAN dive insurance to cover the periods that I'm actually diving. If my coverage lapses in an inactive period I'll hold off until I need it.

It is always a good thing to know what is and is not covered. You should verify this understanding with your agent.

"Normally" (YMMV) contents insurance covers your stuff in your home and when it is temporarily away from home. A vacation is temporary, a storage locker may not be.

Contents Insurance | TD Insurance

Example: I had a car stolen, the bicycle in the trunk was NOT covered by my car insurance. It was covered by my tennant insurance. As well as all the other personal items that I had left in the car.

"loss during a dive emergency/rescue"

Back
Top Bottom